• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Spider lover in need of putter

great white buffalo

Eagle Member
I have been putting with Spiders since I started playing the game. I have tried out a few others here and there that I just never liked. For me my first preference is a 168 CE Spider and second is a 150 DX Classic Roc . The overall feel of a spider and a classic roc are the same. I do have other weights for the days when there is a little breeze, but mostly here it is calm. I like them the best because of the small lip where as most putters have a big lip and they are not comfortable in my hand.
So the issue is: Should I stick with what I know and love, or should I turn to the light and get a putter. (I don't even carry a putter in my bag.)
I am about to start practicing hard core in the garage on 20 footers and in and I want to be using the right thing.

I started putting with a spider. I felt a lot of putters and the best and most similar feel in the hand was a Hydra. I am still putting with them and think you should give it a look. Has that small lip and handles the wind well.

a spider too me feels like a low profile wizard.
I used a 167dx for jump putts for a couple years and have seen others putt well with them.
I'm also a believe its the archer not the arrow. So, unless they are spitting through the chains i'd say, let 'er rip :)

Cro is another non putter with similar size to the spider that feels good to putt with. Maybe a heavier Classic Roc would be a good choice...But like has already been said, if you feel confident with what you throw, then you already have a good choice.

Classic Roc is called a putter by Innova now. You may want to look at the Pure or the Judge. The Pure is one of the lowest profile putters out there. It is like a beadless Classic Roc. The Judge is also fairly low profile but it is beaded. I too don't like the bulky feel of most putters out there. The Rhyno is another fine choice for low profile feel.

If you really like the Spider, you might as well keep using it. But if you want a low profile putter to try, I'd recommend the Vibram Summit.

I putt with spiders and have asked myself the same question. I decided to stick with the spiders. Why try to fix something that isn't broken.

btw... the cro is a beadless spider so both have a similar feel.

Like other have said if the spider is working for you and you have no problem with it other than maybe some people saying "dude get a real putter." why change?

I you really want to switch go to a shop or find people that have a bunch of putters and just feel them up til you find one you like the feel of.

Finally some Spider luvers. They aren't my primary putter but if it's windy or I have hyzer around a tree or straddle, I use the Spider. Most hyzer upshots from 150ft and in as well.

Collection: The light blue Star is in the bag now.

DSCN7907.jpg

Nice to see the Spider love. I am also an exclusive Spider putter. Lately I have tried the MVP stuff and liked it, but the Spider still feels best for me.

I agree with the advice that a lot of folks have given here. If you're making putts and comfortable putting with a Spider and Classic Roc, then by all means stick with them. Buuuuttttt, since you asked, I would suggest either a rhyno or the Hammer. I dono how available the Hammers are in local stores but you can order them from the innova factory store.

http://proshop.innovadiscs.com/dx-clhm.html

I used to putt with an ancient one a couple years ago before I really started getting hooked on new plastic. It is a nice low-pro, stiff putter that works great for 150-200' upshots.

If you aren't opposed to ordering online, that could be a good choice for you. :D

Pure, Spike, XD, Swan etc. Just search for low profile beadless putters. You'll need to use the time tested trial and error method to see what works for YOU. We can all tell you what we like, but putters are a lot like women. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Good luck.

My wife's Spider's stamp says multi-purpose disc. She's made some huge forehand putts with it. :clap:

+1 for Rhynos. I don't have large hands and don't like the way most putters feel also...but then I tried a Rhyno and haven't looked back since. Someone also mentioned that it will be a smooth transition due to its overstability. I agree.

If you really want to switch to a putter, I would go with a Rhyno as well although it is more like a Gator than a Spider in terms of stability. Good wind or hyzer putter for sure!

Latest posts