• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sponsered players: How did you get picked up?

I thought Grant Hodges got sponsored by Innova after winning Am Worlds, despite a sub-1000 rating. I could be wrong though, I don't see him on the Innova page and a google search didn't turn up much. A current 1021 rating does seem sponsor-worthy though, and although he isn't the most personable guy he definitely isn't a DB either, at least in my limited experiences with him.

I thought Grant Hodges got sponsored by Innova after winning Am Worlds, despite a sub-1000 rating. I could be wrong though, I don't see him on the Innova page and a google search didn't turn up much. A current 1021 rating does seem sponsor-worthy though, and although he isn't the most personable guy he definitely isn't a DB either, at least in my limited experiences with him.

Yeah, I am a dummy, I meant Matt Keatts. Although apparently Grant is better now, so I guess that was why I got confused. :wall:

With all the new companies, distributors, clothing brands, etc. Cropping up one would think it would be the perfect time to be a really good disc golfer with a bright intellect, sparkiling personality and consumate professionalism.

As he told me earlier today, not yet.

Oh crap I have a following!

Yes I am trying out a new discs. I am also not some touring pro. Local 985 pro who works in disc golf and teaches clinics.

Those are just 2 types of promotion that help you get "sponsored". For me it is just about having a chance to represent a company and focus my game on a set selection of discs. I work and represent Disc Nation but I am not a DN sponsored player. Still most people assume that because that's how they know me in the community.

Most players no matter their rating can become a company representative by being heavily involved in the promotion of the sport. Start a club, run 20 tournaments a year, teach free clinics and demos...These are all things that help you sell yourself to a company. Show them what you can do for them, not what you need from them.

Do good for disc golf and it will reward you. Really its that way for anything in life.

Dana - Dana Vicich - Vibram
Scooter - Matt Hall? - Discraft
Holly comes here from time to time to defend herself.

I haven't been sponsored by Discraft since January....guess that is what I get for conveying facts in a previous thread pertaining to what sponsored players receive.

Anyway, I just came on here to look at some Worlds info...peace

I would recommend this . . . play to have fun . . . play to make the sport better . . . volunteer your free time to improving your local courses . . . and if someone notices . . . they will sponsor you. Once you make it about what the sport or sponsors can do for you . . . you will lose the enjoyment of it. Just have fun playing the game and if you do good things (either with your abilities or with your volunteer efforts) sponsors will find you!

Stan McDaniel who goes by the user name Stan McDaniel on this forum.

I am sponsored too. My deal is that I have to wear my own clothes.

It's really all about who you are and not about how amazing of a player you are.
I got picked up by Pandamonium Discs 2 years ago because of my personality. I'm the type of person you can walk up to and just ask me anything and I can help. I'm also an amateur graphic designer so I help with all of our designs and I'm also a dam good sales man so when we vend I can sell the crap out if discs. And I'm sure being higher rated than most and being 6' 6" doesn't hurt.

Sponsered?

#5: Learn how to spell!
I am going to assume that basic literacy is a minimum requirement for most companies looking to help out a player with product and/or money $$.

What age are you referring to when you say "teens"?
Also can you be sponsored by 2 different companies? Or does one have to own the other
like Innova owns millennium? Cause I know that Avery Jenkins is on team innova and discmania.

Thanks

What age are you referring to when you say "teens"?
Also can you be sponsored by 2 different companies? Or does one have to own the other
like Innova owns millennium? Cause I know that Avery Jenkins is on team innova and discmania.

Thanks

Innova doesn't own Millennium. They just do molding for them (using Innova mold pieces). Discmania is pretty much considered Innova Europe so that's how Avery gets to do double duty.

I know that, at one point, Barsby was sponsored by both Westside and Legacy. It generally has been that if you're sponsored by a company, you're able to throw any company's discs your sponsor molds for.

Innova doesn't own Millennium. They just do molding for them (using Innova mold pieces). Discmania is pretty much considered Innova Europe so that's how Avery gets to do double duty.

I know that, at one point, Barsby was sponsored by both Westside and Legacy. It generally has been that if you're sponsored by a company, you're able to throw any company's discs your sponsor molds for.

Is Barsby not still throwing Westside and Legacy?

IMO that was a pretty attractive gig! Especially if you could find some Rampages that actually had some HSS.

Is Barsby not still throwing Westside and Legacy?

IMO that was a pretty attractive gig! Especially if you could find some Rampages that actually had some HSS.

I'm not sure if he's still carrying both or not and threw the "at one point" in there as a CYA measure. I agree it's a pretty sweet deal. I've only been throwing understable stuff from Westside, but all the molds I've tried are great (and Legacy has some amazing molds as well).

I'm not sure if he's still carrying both or not and threw the "at one point" in there as a CYA measure. I agree it's a pretty sweet deal. I've only been throwing understable stuff from Westside, but all the molds I've tried are great (and Legacy has some amazing molds as well).

Currently I am using a Giant and Rival. I have also tried the Patriot, Rampage, Cannon, and King.

The Patriot I threw was too dang flippy, the Rampage flipped too much at high speeds, and the Cannon didn't like to fade back once turned over.

At the moment I am interested in trying the Ghost and some of the other plastic....I just don't want to spend more cash on discs.

Latest posts