• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Squall vs. M4 vs. Fuse

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I've only got experience with Fuses but I just got a Squall (172, proline) to check out (shoutout to Onemilemore). I'm going to try it out between my Nebula and my Opto Fuse. For the hell of it, I threw the M4 into title for all the Prodigy fanboiz.

Ready. Set. Go!

None of the above? I used to throw Fuses. Haven't thrown either of the other ones mentioned.

I am currently throwing a few different Comets and a Tangent that is seasoning in well. These seem to be taking care of all my stable/understable needs lately.

I had a squall, great disc but almost too much glide/distance. Great for if you don't care about going long.

I'm back to using Fuses. More for special shots that need the glide and touch.
Also recently found out that an opto fuse is a badass FH roller disc.

I've bagged all three of these at different points.

With a little bit hyzer, the M4 is the straightest disc I've ever thrown.
The Squall goes far, too far for me, but it's really fun to throw, no doubt.
I had similar probably with the fuse, less stable than both of the other two, but too much glide, the squall is quicker though.

The bit that I threw the m4 it seemed a lot faster than the fuse. I felt that I could lean into the m4 a lot more than the fuse, whereas the fuse wanted a nice smooth stroke. I haven't thrown a squall, but being dga is it similar to a meteor at all? I've always thought the meteor fell between the m4 and fuse speed and stability wise.

Fuse for me! It was like a Comet that felt better in the hand. One of the only discs I can throw 250-300 dead straight and have it tail right (RHBH) at the very end, besides the Comet. Great for finesse shots and annhyzers of all kinds. Perfect step down from a River. Did I mention GL plastic?!!?

fuse is not like the meteor I had. Meteor is less flippy and less glide.
Fuse you really have to be careful.

Fuse is smooth and buttery and lovely in every way. Lovely like ponies and rainbows and butterfly kisses.

I have 4 Squalls in 3 of the plastics in varying weights. I also have an Opto Fuse and sold a GL Fuse.
My 2 ProLine Squalls, 169g and 177g and my RDGA Squall 147g are identical in PLH. My SP Squall has the old sketch basket stamp 171g, has a lower PLH, and is my favorite. Way more glide than the others and holds an anny to the ground.

The Squall's sharper nose profile and smaller diameter make it much better in the wind and for me allows for more controlled distance than the Fuse. I carry a seasoned D Aftershock for the 250-300 dead straight to turnover shots in calm or downwind conditions and throw the Squall for that range into the wind. If I'm looking at something in the 275-325 range I'm considering the Squall depending on wind, line, and elevation change.
Low ceiling shots or approaches that need some skip/slid - Squall.
Forehand flicks with more distance or more movement than the Breaker/Zone - Squall.
Short shot into the wind, a bit long for a Breaker/Zone, where a turn-over would be ugly - heavy Squall.

Thrown with 300ft of my power:
My 171g basket stamp SP Squall is like a shorter River (my 164g GL).
My 177g ProLine Squall is like a shorter TeeBird (my 168g E*).
My 169g ProLine Squall is in between the above.
My 147g RDGA Squall pops up flat from hyzer and tracks right, to the ground. (Hey, like my Fuse!)

For me the Squall just isn't a finesse type mid-range like the Fuse. I think it's a totally different flavor of disc than the Fuse, as in, room for both in the bag.

Fuse is smooth and buttery and lovely in every way. Lovely like ponies and rainbows and butterfly kisses.

:clap: Bravo!^^ haha the Fuse gets my vote, though I liked the squall for those tweener shots between a fairway and mid. I also used the squall on up hill standstill shots, because of the faster speed it tends to make up the distance easily. I don't see why squalls and fuses can't be bagged together, it would work.

Last edited:
I'm going to be that guy and say none of the above. I prefer the Tursas from Westside. I will say though that the M4 is the only Prodigy mold that has impressed me. I know people who enjoy them and if I didn't love the Tursas I might have one bagged. Eventually when I have a DD Truth beat up enough I can flip it from hyzer to an anny line that holds I will probably lose the Tursas and have three truths instead.

how does the tursa compare to the fuse? are they even similar discs?
which is touchier?

BroD, you ever try the Tangent? In my experience its a bit more workable when new than the M4 but not as touchy as a Fuse, and as they season they hold a turnover more easily but don't bank hard right. I find their stability makes them very controllable.

I've found the M4 and Fuse more understable then the Squall. Squall is like a faster Buzz or shorter Zombee. I consider the M4 and Fuse as turnover Mids. I bag the Fuse it just flys amazing and finishes right. M4 has a touch more ending fade.

how does the tursa compare to the fuse? are they even similar discs?
which is touchier?

I don't find them too similar. The fuse is very touchy and needs to be finessed with no OAT. The Tursas is much more forgiving but holds nice anny lines. Feels great in the hand. Not really flat but not real domey. Not really like a buzzz or a roc but kind of a blend of the two as far as shape of the mold I think.

Flight wise I compare them to a slightly worn meteor. They will flip flat and go straight for me when new but if you get on them and throw it flat it just holds a nice slow anny turn to the ground maybe a little left fade at the end.

The thing I hate about the Tursas is I just don't get enough chances to throw it. It's probably the courses here in town but I really only have a need for a straight and some overstable mids. That would be the truth and verdict most times so the Tursas gets very little use. Great mold though and everyone I've turned on to them has immediately bagged it and stuck with it.

yea I barely use the fuse, but it's a good utility disc, especially when you can't use your body much and need to cover distance through narrows.

I de-flashed my Tursas and it is the disc that the flight numbers say it is. It has so much glide on low power throws. I love hyzer flipping it for tight shots. The fuse is a really touchy disc. I never clicked with it. It also has a very thin rim that just didnt fit my hand right. The Tursas reminds me of a buzzz.

I've thrown all three of these, and here is my take:

Squall - Longest of the bunch, fastest of the bunch, but takes more effort to shape lines with. Not as understable as advertised for me.

M4 - Straight a glidey. Easy to throw on a rope, and holds an anny really nicely.

Fuse - Depends on the Fuse. I've had them from flippy to marginally stable, and they are a bit more finnicky. But, if you are patient, the distance potential and lines this thing can hit are just nutty. The most fun to throw out of the bunch, the one that makes me say "wow" more often than any other disc in my bag.

Also BroD, thanks for the trade, I hope it works out well for ya!

Kind of like Threevok and onemilemore said, they're different discs.

I liken squalls to beadless, seasoned Rocs (or anything with that style flight). You can throw smooth, gliding anny's to the ground, smooth round hyzers that flare, hyzer flip tunnel shots, etc. They're very workable discs and IMO the most underrated mold made.

Fuses are more naturally understable, they're more prone to a very distinct and sharper "flip", and they definitely don't have the LSS stability of a squall. I had both in the bag and went with the squall because it handled power better, and has more utility (I couldn't throw hyzers with a fuse, they'd pop up to straight).

They're both good discs, but IMO serve different purposes. It depends on your game/throwing style and what you want to accomplish.

Latest posts