• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Star Mako, Star Sanny, Star Dart, Pro Boss

im really waiting for the pro bosses. i love me some domey eco and pro destroyers so i hope the pro boss is similar

I will be getting a large handful of the pro bosses immidiately which might replace my 3 star destroyers in different stages of wear. I saw a guy with 2 pro bosses a few months ago that threw them 600 feet, he said it was almost unfair how far the pro bosses fly. He wouldn't risk losing them so he has been throwing the champ bosses when playing. I can't wait to get some, I will be at the USDGC this weekend, is innova really waiting until the week after it to release these new discs or will they be there?

To those of you who have thrown a pro boss, would someone like me benefit from them? I usually drive with a valk and put it out around 400 or so on a hyzer flip. I don't want to toss money on a disc that is too much disc for me.

You'll have to throw it harder to keep it within it's cruise speed. The pro boss I got had a massive dome, but I think pro plastic just beats in to a workable distance disc faster. Rub any other boss on a concrete tee pad and see if it doesn't fly fantastic. Everyone I know that throws a boss, throws their flippiest one as their money distance disc. If you can throw as far as the pros then you could probably do better with a more stable boss.

In the end, If you hyzerflip a newish boss into an S curve, it should go over 450.

About the Mako
The Mako is our straightest flying and straightest finishing mid-range disc. It has the flight characteristic of a putter, with the glide and speed of a mid-range disc. A great performing disc that can take and hold the angle of release. Turnover shots stay turned over and hyzer shots stay hyzer. Excellent for staying on narrow fairways and threading through forests. The Mako is available in our premium Star plastic for durability and grip. In weights from 165 to 180 grams.

Sounds like an answer to the Comet perhaps? If it is, I'll try it just to compare them.

victorb said:
About the Mako
The Mako is our straightest flying and straightest finishing mid-range disc. It has the flight characteristic of a putter, with the glide and speed of a mid-range disc. A great performing disc that can take and hold the angle of release. Turnover shots stay turned over and hyzer shots stay hyzer. Excellent for staying on narrow fairways and threading through forests. The Mako is available in our premium Star plastic for durability and grip. In weights from 165 to 180 grams.

Sounds like an answer to the Comet perhaps? If it is, I'll try it just to compare them.
I really enjoyed throwing the comet, I will check the Mako out just to see how it flies but I don't see it replacing the Rocs.

The numbers do not tell the length of the disc. Or the power requirement. Comet is atypical in those respects. So is a Kite and to a lesser extent a Skeeter which is about as fussy as a Comet. Kite in Star is a bit more forgiving but still only slightly.

Well i got to fondle a Star Mako at the Pro Shop at the USDGC and it looks like a domier coyote. Kind of a letdown. I think i get one as the spectator freebie. I'll post more later unless someone beats me to it.

Spike said:
adamschneider said:
I'm just wondering how the Mako will differ from the Coyote.
According to Innova's gradings:
Coyote:
4 5 -1 1
Mako:
4 5 0 0
Yeah, I know what the numbers say, but what's the real-world difference going to be between 0/0 and -1/1? Even a disc with "0 turn" and "0 fade" will flip if thrown too hard and fade if thrown too soft.

adamschneider said:
what's the real-world difference going to be between 0/0 and -1/1?

Real world difference = marketing!
You're right, the ratings don't tell much (witness the Groove!)

well, I suppose I'm hoping for it to be as good as the comet, because how innova described it is very close to how I describe the comet to people who haven't thrown one or even heard of one.

still, if it is a comet clone I'm not a huge innova supporter (no allegiances really) so it wouldn't go in the bag anyway.

victorb said:
well, I suppose I'm hoping for it to be as good as the comet, because how innova described it is very close to how I describe the comet to people who haven't thrown one or even heard of one.

still, if it is a comet clone I'm not a huge innova supporter (no allegiances really) so it wouldn't go in the bag anyway.

Let me end this here...There's no way in hell that Innova is going to put out a Comet clone...The Comet has BARELY been popular enough to stay on Ds roster over the years (no judgment here Comet lovers). The Mako does not have A). a bead B). a Comet-large diameter C). a very unique Cometesque wing/rim configuration. If anything it is a retooled Shark/Aurora. Its not going to float like a Comet, but it will be more of a power /OAT smoothing/gyroscopic(more weight distributed to the outside) disc. The only thing it will have in common with the Comet is the cruising speed stability.

discspeed said:
victorb said:

Let me end this here...There's no way in hell that Innova is going to put out a Comet clone...The Comet has BARELY been popular enough to stay on Ds roster over the years (no judgment here Comet lovers). The Mako does not have A). a bead B). a Comet-large diameter C). a very unique Cometesque wing/rim configuration. If anything it is a retooled Shark/Aurora. Its not going to float like a Comet, but it will be more of a power /OAT smoothing/gyroscopic(more weight distributed to the outside) disc. The only thing it will have in common with the Comet is the cruising speed stability.

forgive me for my ignorance, as I have not actually seen the disc, or any specifications for it yet. I was merely speculating.

victorb said:
forgive me for my ignorance, as I have not actually seen the disc, or any specifications for it yet. I was merely speculating.

You are forgiven sir! :lol: I guess I came across a little more dramatic than intended. :wink: After reading 1000s of Dave D. posts over the years at PDGA.com and asking him dozens myself I have a pretty good idea of what he thinks is "modern" and what kinds of styles he's trying to push the envelope with. Overall he is much more predictable than the other manufacturers (not a bad thing) because he is so willing to openly communicate about his ideas and has Czar-like control over what Innova produces. He's not into retro.

BIG MACK said:
I thought the Coyote was an attempt to be more like the Buzzz.

I don't really think so. The convex wing on the Coyote was an idea that Dave also used in the Roadrunner. This idea does not produce a stable disc at any speed, so I'm sure Dave D. knew it would not be like a Buzzz. I wouldn't be surprised if the bottom wing of the Mako is somewhat Buzzz-like (or beadless roc-like). However I wouldn't be surprised if it was something a little different altogether because the concave bottom wing on the Buzzz gives it a more driver type fly-on-line-then-fade flight and Dave describes the Mako as flying on a putter-type line.

buzz=roc imitation

in trying to copy the roc discraft got the buzz...a slightly different roc

Latest posts