• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Steady Ed Original Designs

Mando

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Wondering if there are any left in their original form that haven't been re-designed over the years ?

I'm thinking maybe Madeline Bertrand in Niles, MI might still be close to the original.

It's probably close to the original layout, based purely on basket-to-next-tee proximity. I can check to see if anyone at the pro shop knows next time I'm out that way...

What about Maconaquah or Honey Bear in Peru? I'm pretty sure no Steady Ed original's left in MN.

Was Maconaquah even a Steady Ed design?

Honey Bear added a bunch of janky open holes after the back nine...not sure if anything changed from original layout on the first 18 holes, but the overall layout is NOT original if you're counting the added holes.

Just tried calling Bertrand, but they're closed Mon/Tues during winter.

I'm thinking maybe Madeline Bertrand in Niles, MI might still be close to the original.

That was my 1st course played in 1986-ish, the baskets have been upgraded but the pin positions remain the same (except for maybe 17 which was moved a few feet). The woods used to A LOT tighter.

Most of the 1-18 blue tee locations at Sedgley Woods in Philly are Steady Ed's, baskets 2 and 12 were lengthened after the first year though.

Last edited:
From what I understand, Beaver Brook Campground in N. Monmouth ME is pretty close to the original Steady Ed design. I think only one or two pins have been moved (about 20-30 feet longer) in the almost 40 years the course has been in.

That was my 1st course played in 1986-ish, the baskets have been upgraded but the pin positions remain the same (except for maybe 17 which was moved a few feet). The woods used to A LOT tighter.
Thanks. Reading the reviews,it does sound like a lot of trees have fallen over the years. I think at some point, these early courses are going to have some historical significance that is going to trump their outdated length. I'd like to play it with one disc from the mid-eighties.

I think West Park is still mostly original, except for the added holes of course.

Thanks for the responses. Sedgley definitely feels like it hasn't been changed much. I love it !
I wonder about Roscoe Ewing ?

From the courses I've played, Steady Ed sure seemed to have a great eye for tasty wooded elevation...:thmbup:

I believe Roscoe Ewing has almost completely changed, I think only hole four has remained the same, but the entire course has that 80's design to it - quality par 3 golf. It was redesigned by the Jenkins family.

I believe Roscoe Ewing has almost completely changed, I think only hole four has remained the same, but the entire course has that 80's design to it - quality par 3 golf. It was redesigned by the Jenkins family.

I played Roscoe in the early 90's and again 2 years ago, there's not much the same as it was.

Here's what i find amazing;
of the 4866 courses currently listed, only 241 were installed 1975-1990.
Makes me wonder how many extinct courses are out there, that were never listed on DGCR.

White Birch in St. Louis has not been redesigned; you have to imagine it with a couple hundred more trees and minus the massive erosion damage to get the original effect, but the hole designs are still Ed Headrick's.