• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sticking to one company

If you're not a pro, why not take the best disk(s) from each? Each company seems to have a couple disks that they do best.

eh, I will chime in. I think it is a good idea to try a bunch of discs, get a feel for what you like ( bead/no bead, this plastic/that plastic, ect..) but the amount of different disc molds out there is fairly staggering, especially to a new player. Just look at the disc forum and see all of the suggestions for someone wanting a disc that does X. Having options is great but I got to the point were I had a disc in my bag for every shot. I could step up to a hole and have 4 different lines, which meant 4 different discs to choose from. That got old real quick. I have grown to appreciate only having to choose between one or two discs. I would rather cycle and limit the molds. All in all, it comes down to preference and where you want your variance to be.

So few discs actually work for me, so I'll try any company's discs.

distance: Innova/DD
fairway: Prodigy/Legacy/Lat64
mids: Westside/Discraft/DD
putters: Lat64/Prodiscus/Discraft

I don't think there's any reason to bag only one company unless that company sponsors you. There are many good discs from a lot of different companies that work for different people, so I recommend fondling different discs at a local disc shop or when guys are selling discs at a park to see what you like. Trying discs you've never throw that friends have can help you find new discs you may like also. Reading threads/posting on here will help with finding discs for certain slots in your bag. I personally throw all Innova because that's what I know best & is what I've been using since I started playing disc golf. I have tried A LOT of discs from many companies but I just like to stick with what I know. I do bag some Discmania discs & Discmania is associated with Innova. Innova & Discmania has more than enough options for me to cover all the slots in my bag. I have a lot of backups for molds I've come to like, I don't see a need to go out & spend money on new discs because I already have discs that I've enjoyed using for years. I don't know what it is but I feel more confident throwing just Innova & Discmania. I think a major reason I don't bag a lot of different companies discs is I like to limit my options to some degree, which makes my disc choices easier. I also started disc golfing at a time when Discraft & Innova rained supreme & were pretty much the only options at local stores. If it isn't broke don't fix it.

Agreed*, only replace the words Innova & Discmania with the word Prodigy. The one caveat being I started out throwing Innova.
*you stated that there was no reason to bag just one company unless sponsored, then go on to list three different reasons why you throw solely Innova & Discmania, none of which are sponsorship…

It would be impossible to try every new released disc out there though-- its why people wear some brands of clothes and shop at the same stores weekly. We are creatures of habit and love to feel security within our daily life from innate objects/places.

Its a lot easier to bag only a few brands than try to follow them all right now. That's my main reason for sticking to 2-3 companies in a bag at once.

It depends on what you like to throw. I have tried a lot of different discs/manufacturers, but I always come back to the most boring bag in existence because it works, and I generally shoot my best with this line up.

Aviars / Rhynos / Rocs / Leopards / Eagles / RR / FB / Destroyers

It would be impossible to try every new released disc out there though-- its why people wear some brands of clothes and shop at the same stores weekly. We are creatures of habit and love to feel security within our daily life from innate objects/places.

Its a lot easier to bag only a few brands than try to follow them all right now. That's my main reason for sticking to 2-3 companies in a bag at once.
Your shop needs a driving range :)

*you stated that there was no reason to bag just one company unless sponsored, then go on to list three different reasons why you throw solely Innova & Discmania, none of which are sponsorship…
:D Even though it may never happen I'd like to be sponsored by Innova. My fantasy is partially stopping me from throwing other brands, plus the reasons I stated already. I guess I'm just stuck in my old ways, plus 90% of the discs I own are Innova/Discmania. My post may have contradicted itself but I was just acknowledging that the majority of disc golfers (that aren't OCD about their bag) have no reason to stick to just one company. A huge part of it is it makes me more confident. In most areas of my life I like as many options as I can but for some reason that doesn't apply to disc golf for me.
images

The only things everyday non- sponsored golfers should be loyal to are ourselves and our game, not companies.

Your shop needs a driving range :)

There is a basket and a driving net... :eek: Pretty sure you can test out discs at GGGT but i'd rather take it to a course anyways not sure field work would make or break me on a sale. Now my own background music and well I might stop up there everyday just to feel like a WWF champ.

Everything bigger in texas I guess fo rill.

I'm a relative newbie and I throw lots of different manufacturers discs (in my signature). It's probably because I, too, live in Austin and buy most of my stuff at Disc Nation.

I take three or four discs of the same "type" (whatever it is I'm looking for) out on the range and spend some time tossing them. Whichever flies best for me is what I buy. :)

Does DN have a trial disc for every mold they carry?

We do keep a tester box of new/popular stuff and samples from companies that send them. For example you can usually test the new MVP stuff a week before it is even released.

But to get on topic - If you want to hone your skill, just pick 5-6 different molds that are popular. Commit to those for a year. I stuck to Millennium/Innova/DM for a few years because of a sponsorship and it dramatically increased my game. I started branching out to other discs when I truly felt my skill was at a level where I need the right discs for my form. Certain discs really are better depending on what type of driving and putting form you are a best at.

I'm not advocating being a fanboy of any brand in particular, but why is it ok for us to be brand loyal in pretty much every other consumer category except golf discs?

There are now 2438978902839024809 different molds on the market, so yeah, a mixed bag is the ideal situation for somebody who wants the exact best fit for them. How many of us though could take a core bag of discs from just about any company and could still manage to shoot halfway reasonable? I'm not talking about pro level NT competition, but going out to your home course with maybe 15-20 minutes of warm up and shooting a round that's within your normal scoring range. I'd venture to say that most people who post here could score a relatively normal round with a bag of discs foreign to what they normally carry.

Maybe I choose to use my dollar to support a company who I personally like. You hear that a lot in regards to a company like Legacy...people in general may think Steve Rico is a good dude, and in return want to help support his company. Other people may see what Vibram is doing to help grow the sport and choose to throw their money towards Steve Dodge. On the flip side somebody might choose to not give their money to a company who they view in a negative light (insert your own choice here).

TLDR: People might prefer one brand for a number of reasons. Just because a person only uses one brand doesn't mean that they're sponsored or a super n00b. I'm hoping everybody here preaching multi brand bags are stomping the one brand guys at tournaments, with that huge competitive edge and all...

Find what works for you and use it, for whatever reason you want. I throw only red discs because I like red. Over the years I've carried a mixed bag of 8 manufacturers and I've carried a dedicated single company bag; same results with both.

Latest posts