• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Struggles from a Tournament Director

In chess though there aren't any "player's packs" that come with the entry fee. Like, ever.

Speak for yourself. The tournaments I've been in have featured the Karpov 12x Rook and a "Stop Staring at My Chess" t-shirt.

After reading through the many comments: It dose pose a question to myself and other TD's out there. What kind of players are you trying to attract? A/B tiers show your trying to attract outside players to come to your area and play. If your event has a large amount of cash added, you might get a few traveling professionals IF your event falls in line to where they are traveling.

As for the players packs, I typically do the pick your own players pack at my events. It's pretty simple that way. Players get to collect whatever they want from the vender and come out happy. I used to run 5K races a lot and they always give you a t-shirt and promotional goodie bags. The payout might be top 50 runners get a trophy and 1-3 get paid money. This would never work in Disc Golf.....we have grown accustomed to more, more, more.

I like the idea of lower entry fee and a players pack. I also use the local cities to help fund my events who ask for a hotel report and player info (not email or phone numbers), but something that shows how many players came and where they stayed. They love numbers and tax dollars.

I agree that the type of tourney you direct determines the types of players you attract. A/B indicates an expectation of better players, and rightly so. Big things poppin' there.

The player's packs are something I don't understand yet. DG seems to be the only sport that does this. In other sports people pay their entry fee and get nothing other than the competition, maybe a rating change (if the sport has one), and the hopes of finishing in the money. These player packs almost seem like the birthday parties my kids had and went to, where everyone who showed up got a bag full of candy and crappy Chucky Cheese McToy type crap to take home with them. I don't know about you, but when I grew up I took toys to a birthday party and didn't expect jack except cake, ice cream, and a whoopin' from The Madre for my sugar OD.

Lower entry fees and no player pack is what I'm for. After all, can't you just have a swap-meet where everyone brings their old gear to sell/trade to make up for free stuff? Seems like lower entry fees would be a fair trade off for the lack of a player pack....and you'd have compensation to boot by way of window shopping other players' gear.

Cool story, Boozy McGee.

nail on head. John Houck just took my keys away and drove me back to Selah from Trey Deuce saloon. Also I have no recollection of this post. Sorry about that. I think I was trying to say that i like pdga tourneys.

Latest posts