• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Suggestions......best course in Charlotte?

Notrepidation

Par Member
So I am driving from San Antonio back to where I grew up (Concord, NC) to help my brother move and have already decided to hit up Winthrop as I pass through Rock Hill. I will be staying at my brothers in Salisbury and figured I will take one day to hit a course or two in Charlotte. When I lived there I was into ball golf and had not even heard of DG so I am looking for input from the locals or those who have played the Charlotte area a lot. If you had one day in the Charlotte area, what two courses would you play/recommend for me to play? Thanks in advance.

Wow! No good way to respond. Depends on skill level and expectations, Something for everyone. Look at Tbird888's discussion on his planning.

Skip Winthrop (unless the Gold course, really only set up in early October). All Charlotte courses are arguably better than the Winthrop Lake Front course.

Angry beaver, nevin, dry creek, hornets nest, rl smith, scrapyard, renny, kilborne, reedy creek. Pick two.

Also bradford.

Last edited:
If it were my time, hands down R.L. Smith and Hornets Nest (play the Web layout).

Renny is insane right from Hole #1. A beautiful course indeed, there are lots of long carries to hit, elevated baskets, the hole with the lookout chair to spot drives from, the hole from the top of the hill by the power lines.. It is pretty sweet. However, I felt like Hornets Nest and Renny are somewhat interchangable. They both hit a very specific note in the scale of disc golf in terms of layout/design and feel. Top notch in both instances, but very similar in my eyes.

The middle..6 holes??.. of Hornets Nest, when you're back in the woods really gives it the leg up over Renaissance IMO.

Robert L. Smith (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4583) is likely to be the most beautiful course I've ever played in person. All of the QC courses were impressive, but none had the raw beauty of RL Smith.

Get in there. Love it. Trust me.

Of the courses I played on your list, I would say RL Smith should be a definite. I'm not picking another one because I loved many of the rest on your list.

If you play Renny, don't climb up into the observation chair. It's pretty sketchy.

I used to live in Charlotte and if I could only play 1 course there again it would be R.L. Hands down the best time, most fun I ever had on a course.:D

One day in Charlotte, two courses...

1. Renny Gold - recently groomed for tournament play, a must see.

2. Bradford Long - always highly maintained by local club members.

Both courses have a wide variety of shots, two of Stans best designs.

Thanks for the responses. Keep em coming....as much input as possible will help me out. At this point I am leaning toward RL and Hornets....they are both about 37 miles from my brothers house. I am going to have one day....sun up to sun down. May be able to hit three if they are close. What about Renn? What courses host the most BIG tournies? Trying to check some of the layouts on YT. I would consider myself an intermediate skilled player but I LOVE a challenge.

Honestly, Renny is almost like hallowed ground here in Charlotte, but I don't even think it's one of the best courses. If I were you, I would play R.L. Smith, Hornet's Nest, and Nevin.

Bradford and Hornet's are both great. Bradford is the closest course to concord and is a lot of fun and a beautiful course

I would go with either layout of the nest. Then bradford. If you want a serious wooded ass whipping play nevin

I would suggest Renaissance Gold/Silver if you are going to be in town soon due to the grooming that has been done recently. RL Smith is give or take 12 minutes from Renny, so it would be easy to hit both courses. Renny Gold can be quite brutal in the middle of the summer due to heat and growth of vegetation, I would swap it for Hornets if you are arriving anytime from middle of July through late August.

I will worn you during the summer Renny can get very hot. It's a nasty humid hot too. Don't know why but it always seems mucher hotter than any of the other courses. I'm also a big guy that likes lots of shade and breezes.

But any of the suggestions in this thread are good. If you want a third and can only do a smallish/simple course give Reedy Creek a try.

Thanks fellas! Really helped me decide. Coming from San Antonio so I will be coming up 85 and "stopping" by Withrop as I had planned is actually out of the way. Probably going to go with Bradford, Renny and RL.

Thanks fellas! Really helped me decide. Coming from San Antonio so I will be coming up 85 and "stopping" by Withrop as I had planned is actually out of the way. Probably going to go with Bradford, Renny and RL.

Considering you're driving so far, I would recommend you do yourself a favor and head south in Greenville/Spartanburg down to Newberry and play Stoney Hill instead of Winthrop. It'll add about an hour and a half to two hours to your trip, and you can thank me later.

David and Chris are two of the nicest people you'll ever meet, and you'll encounter 24 signature holes where your game will be challenged every step of the way. It beat me pretty bad, and I can't wait to plan another trip where I'll be close enough to get back and play it again.

If you're starting the disc golf day in Concord, I'd start with a quick warm-up nine at North Cabarrus -- that's what I do when I'm in town (once a year). Bradford is a must -- I played like total crap and still had a ball, and will DEFINITELY be playing there next time I'm there. Then there are too many options to count .....

My personal routine when I travel to Charlotte for the day is a putter only round at eager beaver, followed by Renny golds, then RL Smith. If I can still lift my arm, I end my day on bradford. In my opinion, its the best way to go.

Latest posts