• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Talk about your most frustrating encounters

Jammer89

Bogey Member
I realize that not everyone enjoys or understands our fascination with disc golf. And I generally try to respect people's privacy and rights when they come across my path while playing a round. My most recent experience has left me a bit frustrated though.

This past Sunday, a buddy and I were playing a casual round at a local 9 hole course on a church ground. We went after services were done out of respect and the grounds were empty. However on one particular hole, the church grounds run right into a neighbors yard with no fencing or visible boundary. The hole requires a hyzer shot around a tree to reach the basket. The neighbor was mowing his yard right near the basket and we respectfully waited until he moved to another area. We each drove and my shot fell 100 feet short. As we walked towards the basket, the neighbor stopped mowing, walked all the way over to my disc, picked it up, starred us down, then chunked way out into the field, yelling at us to " keep your (expletive) frisbees off my yard!". Being the non-confrontational guy I am, I tried to laugh it off and ignore him. I even went and played from where he threw my disc. But as I finished up, I started to get angry. I understand his annoyance. The course was likely put in without his knowing and probably gets tired of people trudging through his yard. But I feel like he needs to take action differently by putting up a fence or speaking with the church (or the scout troop that built it) about moving the hole. At the very least, he could have politely asked us to move on. It was my first time at that course, and I am far less likely to return now.

Wait...was your disc on his property or on the church's property? I can understand his frustration with discs landing on his property. I can even understand his reaction if your disc landed on his property. But if he walked off of his property and on to the church's property to pick up your disc, he's 100% in the wrong no matter what the history was between him and the course.

You were right to be non-confrontational with the guy, but you should absolutely contact the church and let them know what happened whether you ever go back or not. At the very least, you make them aware of a potential problem situation with their course so that maybe they can address it. And if they're already aware, your story adds to it and maybe prompts more swift action to fix the problem (whether it's fixing the course or fixing the neighbor).

Wait...was your disc on his property or on the church's property? I can understand his frustration with discs landing on his property. I can even understand his reaction if your disc landed on his property. But if he walked off of his property and on to the church's property to pick up your disc, he's 100% in the wrong no matter what the history was between him and the course.

You were right to be non-confrontational with the guy, but you should absolutely contact the church and let them know what happened whether you ever go back or not. At the very least, you make them aware of a potential problem situation with their course so that maybe they can address it. And if they're already aware, your story adds to it and maybe prompts more swift action to fix the problem (whether it's fixing the course or fixing the neighbor).

:thmbup:

^This.

I'm making the assumption that your disc landed in his yard based on your description, if that isn't the case, then disregard the rest of my post.

While I applaud taking a non-confrontation stance - I would push JC's comments even further. It is likely that this isn't the neighbor's 1st run in, nor his last. He is obviously unhappy about the situation. Given this - it probably isn't best to walk back into his yard and play it from there. Especially with this being a casual round, there is no reason to further upset the homeowner by walking back in his yard. No good will come of it....and taking that shot from anywhere else shouldn't affect your round either.

I realize that not everyone enjoys or understands our fascination with disc golf. And I generally try to respect people's privacy and rights when they come across my path while playing a round. My most recent experience has left me a bit frustrated though.

This past Sunday, a buddy and I were playing a casual round at a local 9 hole course on a church ground. We went after services were done out of respect and the grounds were empty. However on one particular hole, the church grounds run right into a neighbors yard with no fencing or visible boundary. The hole requires a hyzer shot around a tree to reach the basket. The neighbor was mowing his yard right near the basket and we respectfully waited until he moved to another area. We each drove and my shot fell 100 feet short. As we walked towards the basket, the neighbor stopped mowing, walked all the way over to my disc, picked it up, starred us down, then chunked way out into the field, yelling at us to " keep your (expletive) frisbees off my yard!". Being the non-confrontational guy I am, I tried to laugh it off and ignore him. I even went and played from where he threw my disc. But as I finished up, I started to get angry. I understand his annoyance. The course was likely put in without his knowing and probably gets tired of people trudging through his yard. But I feel like he needs to take action differently by putting up a fence or speaking with the church (or the scout troop that built it) about moving the hole. At the very least, he could have politely asked us to move on. It was my first time at that course, and I am far less likely to return now.

You played it right, but sorry, that guy is a douche.

I remember last summer playing somewhere on our trip to St. Louis, and I griplocked a drive and it sailed across the street and nailed a mailbox right by someone's front steps. I slunk down there to get my disc and was mortified when this old guy opened the door and stepped out to see what happened(probably not the first time). I apologized profusely, and he just laughed it off and gently chided me to be more careful next time.

No need to be a jackanapes about a frickkin lawn....

You played it right, but sorry, that guy is a douche.

I remember last summer playing somewhere on our trip to St. Louis, and I griplocked a drive and it sailed across the street and nailed a mailbox right by someone's front steps. I slunk down there to get my disc and was mortified when this old guy opened the door and stepped out to see what happened(probably not the first time). I apologized profusely, and he just laughed it off and gently chided me to be more careful next time.

No need to be a jackanapes about a frickkin lawn....

There is this local hole where it is nearly a 450 foot shot. On the left is the road and on the right is a row or properties. As a course, it is very narrow, but still it takes a lot to really be off line. That is why most of the holes are 250 or less with this one being the exception.

A better description of the hole is that the tee is on the left, up against the road. The road creates a depression on which the basket and the rest of the course sits on. So not only are you generating full power, but you also have to throw diagonal across the course (assume rhbh) so that you stay off the road. Anyone who has 350 foot power or more runs the risk of over-torquing the shot and turning something over.

This unfortunately puts one particular property in danger. He does have a fence, but if you turned over you likely have the power to clear the fence. I do not play here often, but I have in the past seen him come out and chew players out. One day I really got a hold of a shot and turned it badly. It not only cleared the fence but hit his garage so hard that it sounded like a shotgun blast. Like others, I walked with my head hung low, ready to accept anything he was about to say.

He must not have been home that day, thankfully.

Since then I have become gun-shy on that hole, still generating enough power to make long putt runs at the basket, but if I sometimes overcompensate with too my hyzer and end back up in the street. There are businesses on the opposite side of the street and once I skipped it off the road almost hard to hit some office windows.

Do not get me wrong, stuff like this likely rarely happens, but with it happening to me twice says that this course may want to rethink this particular hole.

There is this local hole where it is nearly a 450 foot shot. On the left is the road and on the right is a row or properties. As a course, it is very narrow, but still it takes a lot to really be off line. That is why most of the holes are 250 or less with this one being the exception.

A better description of the hole is that the tee is on the left, up against the road. The road creates a depression on which the basket and the rest of the course sits on. So not only are you generating full power, but you also have to throw diagonal across the course (assume rhbh) so that you stay off the road. Anyone who has 350 foot power or more runs the risk of over-torquing the shot and turning something over.

This unfortunately puts one particular property in danger. He does have a fence, but if you turned over you likely have the power to clear the fence. I do not play here often, but I have in the past seen him come out and chew players out. One day I really got a hold of a shot and turned it badly. It not only cleared the fence but hit his garage so hard that it sounded like a shotgun blast. Like others, I walked with my head hung low, ready to accept anything he was about to say.

He must not have been home that day, thankfully.

Since then I have become gun-shy on that hole, still generating enough power to make long putt runs at the basket, but if I sometimes overcompensate with too my hyzer and end back up in the street. There are businesses on the opposite side of the street and once I skipped it off the road almost hard to hit some office windows.

Do not get me wrong, stuff like this likely rarely happens, but with it happening to me twice says that this course may want to rethink this particular hole.

im trying to think...... what course

Sounds like somebody needs a fence. With no recognizable property boundaries players will continue to wander on to his lawn. It is also not unheard of for people to exaggerate ownership claims in a situation like you were involved in so they can make a point to people who would have no idea where the churches property ends and his begins.

Grrr.... this thread irritates me just because of the subject matter.

Pentleton King Park in Augusta has a similar issue on hole #17 long pin. Its a long drive on a progressively narrowing fairway with a fence on the right side that is a guys back yard. If you're going for the pin in one its very easy to turn the disc over, clear the fence and be in his yard. For reasons I completely understand the homeowner gets PISSED whenever he sees people trying to climb his fence to get their discs back. He will offer to let you in to his yard to get your disc, but you have to walk all the way out of the park and around the block just to get there. He won't retrieve it and throw it back to you, and I am seriously convinced that he sits on his porch and waits for people to throw into his yard just so he can scream at them. I always try to be nice and respectful, but plenty of other player's aren't. I've seen more then one screaming match between the homeowner and players who decided to be jerks and not respect the dudes property. Its just a bad situation all the way around. Its been like that for years, but for whatever reason #17 still spends about half the year in that position.

One change to my description...

Technically the whole strip of fairway is on higher ground. The tee and road are lower than the basket, making you throw a little higher.

Sunnyside.

ahhhhh

screw that pond. i had to fish in there the only time i played there. i of course ran the ace and didnt know there was the pond back there. that course will scratch the itch but isnt great..at all

im sure the homeowner yells daily in the summer. if i remember right when i went there it was all chuckers on a nice summer day

One change to my description...

Technically the whole strip of fairway is on higher ground. The tee and road are lower than the basket, making you throw a little higher.

Sunnyside.

I had a feeling. I've only thrown there one time but I still knew exactly where it was, lol. I was afraid to throw there.

... As we walked towards the basket, the neighbor stopped mowing, walked all the way over to my disc, picked it up, starred us down, then chunked way out into the field, yelling at us to " keep your (expletive) frisbees off my yard!". ...

Did he open his hips and follow through while keeping the nose down?

So I know this might not be a popular opinion, but TS it is the other man's yard. And he likely didn't buy his property with a disc golf course beside it. So whether we like it or not, he has all the right in the world to not want discs in his yard. Sure, he may act like an *******...but it is his right to be that way on his own turf.

It sounds like that hole is probably due for a redesign.

It is not that man's responsibility to put a fence up around his own property. Either the course should put up a fence to block incoming discs, or a slight redesign to keep play away could be in order. He has the right to expect uninvited guests to keep off of his lawn.

Look at it from his perspective. He has probably had some less than awesome interactions with other golfers in the past, which has soured his view of the lot of us. I think we can all agree that most of us are fairly laid back and respectful people, but there are definitely a large enough subset of us that give the whole sport a bad name.

Grrr.... this thread irritates me just because of the subject matter.

Pentleton King Park in Augusta has a similar issue on hole #17 long pin. Its a long drive on a progressively narrowing fairway with a fence on the right side that is a guys back yard. If you're going for the pin in one its very easy to turn the disc over, clear the fence and be in his yard. For reasons I completely understand the homeowner gets PISSED whenever he sees people trying to climb his fence to get their discs back. He will offer to let you in to his yard to get your disc, but you have to walk all the way out of the park and around the block just to get there. He won't retrieve it and throw it back to you, and I am seriously convinced that he sits on his porch and waits for people to throw into his yard just so he can scream at them. I always try to be nice and respectful, but plenty of other player's aren't. I've seen more then one screaming match between the homeowner and players who decided to be jerks and not respect the dudes property. Its just a bad situation all the way around. Its been like that for years, but for whatever reason #17 still spends about half the year in that position.

Sounds like horrible course design to me. If I wasn't a disc golfer, and discs were constantly coming into my yard, I'd be pissed, too. Or I'd keep them all and sell them off.

Seriously, it sounds like the hole needs to be redesigned, and the course designer should apologize to the homeowner.

Sounds like somebody needs a fence. With no recognizable property boundaries players will continue to wander on to his lawn. It is also not unheard of for people to exaggerate ownership claims in a situation like you were involved in so they can make a point to people who would have no idea where the churches property ends and his begins.

Thankfully there is no fence for people to climb over onto the guys property which could make a bad situation worse.

I bet he noob-hyzered like a champ. I'm laughing at just the thought of watching an angry old man trying to throw a driver out of pure spite and it landing 50 ft away.

Lol. Pretty much. I'm pretty sure the disc was perpendicular to the ground as it flew. Only about 100 feet.

Good feedback, by the way. Just sent an email to the church. I described the encounter and then suggested that a church representative may want to speak with the neighbor in an effort to reach a resolution. Not sure if anything will come of it. But at least they are aware of the situation, if they weren't already.