• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tee Sign Height

No just my sarcastic way of showing exactly what NOT to do.

I agree that 6' away from the tee pad is the best option, but what if that's not possible. For example, Hole 8 at my home course Old Post Disc Golf Course has boulders on either side of the tee pad going back several feet. The sign was put in an awkward spot for some throwers, but it was put there because there was not really any other place to put it. I'll get a pic of what I mean later. Not relevant to the OP necessarily, but what would other options be for holes like that?

Put it on the path leading to the hole, put it on a low post at an angle, mount it on a boulder. No matter what, it should never be in the possible follow through for any player.

^^^Don't get where you'd think that's a lefty's dream---my follow-through would smack it no matter how far right I got on the tee. Its just bad placement period.
And I really don't care what side its on----but by Odin don't put it that close.

Check my handedness...total sarcasm on my part.

Put it on the path leading to the hole, put it on a low post at an angle, mount it on a boulder. No matter what, it should never be in the possible follow through for any player.

It's not in the follow through, just impacts some players' run up. These are some good ideas for the next club meeting.

I personally prefer them several feet behind the tee, and facing so as you look at the sign you're also looking down the fairway. If they are near the front of the pad, they'd better be way out of the way so even those of us with long arms don't have to worry about smacking them with our follow through. Height isn't at all important to me as long as it's readable from a normal standing position.

/thread

As a 6'2" lefty with a larger wingspan than I am tall, there are far too many courses with tee pads in my follow through - whoever above said put them on the left cause most players are RHBH - - is totally WRONG - -I can;t say how much that upset me. GO F%^& the lefty cause I;m a righty!!

I have whacked more than 15 tee signs in my follow through, and after a while those signs get pulled out of the ground. I don't have a problem admitting that, as I'm often the guy the goes back and puts them back in, in a safe location.

And the person that stated "nothing" should be with in 6ft of any tee pad, is absolutely right here.

I personally prefer to be able to see the tee signs while I'm on the tee, so 6-8 ft off to either side and 4-6 ft in front of the tee meets my personal viewing / safely needs. With the sign off to the side enough so that its got no way of being an obstruction, and diagonally off the front would put it at about 8 ft off the front corner so there is no chance of a long arm person breaking their hand.

Safety is first here, second is ease of use and visibility, third is astetically pleasing in its surroundings...

After setting 100s of tee signs on the 60+ courses I have designed, I currently set them 4'-5' off the front of the tee, even with the tee, facing square with the tee, and height of no more than 4 feet. This way the player on the tee can see the sign/layout/distances and the players waiting behind the tee can see it also. This location is practical, safe, and does not interfere with the long angled run ups that players tend to use.

Another idea I've seen, if you want the signs lower, is to mount the sign on a 45-degree angle to the ground, so that they face upward towards the reader. To do this, though, you may have to figure a different way to mount them than you're planning.

We have a course near us that has tee signs at a 45. They are all now covered in bird crap. They love to sit on the angled signs and crap on them. Because that's all that birds do.

There is no consensus on placing tee signs at the front or at the rear. Each place has its pros and cons. Just be sure they are clear of the throwers reach (approx 6').

Anywhere near the front of the tee box is a potential safety hazard.
Behind the tee box is shouldn't ever be a hazard.
Everyone seems to agree on closer that 6' from the tee box.

once it warms up i can take pics. but this one course by me has one close to the end of the teebox. guess i was like an inch away from crushing my hand on it.

Signs should be 6' (minimum) left or right of the middle of your tee pad.
For example, if your tee pads are 15' long, they should be 7.5' from the front (or back) of the concrete, and 6' from the left (or right) of the edge of concrete.

Shown below, the Warner Park Disc Golf Course in Mannhattan, KS.

30709_m.jpg

30706_m.jpg

If they are any closer to the front of the pad, they are in knuckle busting range... or other body parts during follow through.

If they are any further back, people are going to say the signs effect where they can start their unique run up steps.

Sign+Placement.jpg

In my opinion, the first (and most important reason for having signs), is to help players who have never played the course find their way around. Thus the first "job" of the tee sign & post is to help them find the tee pad area. Unless you are blind, putting a tee sign approx. 10' to 6' from the concrete pad is plenty close enough.

If the sign posts are made of wood (treated or otherwise) you want to coat the part that goes into the ground with something to protect ti from the concrete. Concrete eats wood.

Also, I prefer a taller post with hooks to hang bags.

We set sign posts this past weekend. They are 1.5 in ground and 4.5 above ground. I had placed them near the rear of the proposed teepad area about 5-6' off to the side.

I had never heard about coating the treated lumber before pouring concrete, so they are not coated with anything. I think they will be fine.

None of the holes are demanding of a huge drive with a 15' run-up.

Thanks to all who responded with some input regarding your opinion and personal preference.