• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Tell me about your Underworld...

I like to start with a hyzer angle to give the disc some time to turn over. A hyzer release is also easier for me to get the disc higher in the air nose down. If you want it to flex out, throw it higher and take a little off it. If you want it to finish right for RHBH, throw it flatter and harder with a little less height. Just put it in the air high enough and it will turn and flex out. If you're having trouble, you might want to work on throwing clean hyzers with an understable disc, then increasing your power until they flatten and increasing again when your comfortable until they turn over. I'm not sure there's a magic bullet, but this disc is definitely capable of what you're looking for.

Some people might say they can't throw a disc this understable and have it finish left. But I've seen somebody throw a hyzer with a Polecat out to about 250', and that same guy threw an absolutely beat to death Wolf (I think it was like 5 years old) on a beautiful turnover out to about 265'--the disc started on a steep hyzer and turned all the way over and landed flat on the ground. The throw had maybe about 60 or 70 degrees of turn on it and was really neat to watch. It's all about having that buttery smooth form and control and you can work any disc, no matter how understable. Easier said than done of course!

Here's a question worthy of the noob thread: when I throw a hyzer, I either cock my wrist, ot drop my arm down into a hyzer angle. What is the proper technique?

The turnover is all about letting the disc do the work. If the Underworld is anything like my flippy GL River, you just need a smooth hyzer release. Make sure you follow through along the same angle so you don't give it off axis torque, and let the disc do the rest. It will take some time to figure out what release angle and power will flip it to flat; flip it over but let it fade; flip it over with no fade.

Here's a question worthy of the noob thread: when I throw a hyzer, I either cock my wrist, ot drop my arm down into a hyzer angle. What is the proper technique?

Cock your wrist?

A lot of players confuse heavy fade, or high stall shots for hyzers, but they are not. And dropping your arm down might work, but it's also a "rounding" throw instead of a straight-line pull. It works well enough, but when you need to throw the disc straight ahead of you and have it stay low and flip up and over it's tricky. Sweeping your arm will send the disc on an upward and rightward trajectory that's not much use in the woods.

Felby covers some good stuff here about release angles and advanced use of intentional OAT.

Last edited:
Cock your wrist?

A lot of players confuse heavy fade, or high stall shots for hyzers, but they are not. And dropping your arm down might work, but it's also a "rounding" throw instead of a straight-line pull. It works well enough, but when you need to throw the disc straight ahead of you and have it stay low and flip up and over it's tricky. Sweeping your arm will send the disc on an upward and rightward trajectory that's not much use in the woods.

Felby covers some good stuff here about release angles and advanced use of intentional OAT.

Tilt would have been a better way to say it :\

That video made it look like dropping down in the delivery is the way to go.

I'm not sure what you mean about dropping your arm down, but your hyzers should be more a product of your body than your wrist. Check out this article on telegraphing your shot.

Notice how in the picture when the guy is throwing a hyzer, his body is angled so that his left arm is lower than his right. With the anhyzer, it's opposite: his right arm is lower than his left. Keep your wrist in the shake hands position to make sure the nose is down, and throw your hyzers this way.

One way to get your body to do this is to use your run up: if you run from the back right of the teepad to the top left, making sure to focus on throwing at your target, you'll be in a position to throw an anhyzer. Reverse that for a hyzer.

The best way to learn is to take a touchy disc and throw hyzer after hyzer. I did it with a Comet and it worked: when you can throw a pure hyzer with a Comet--not one that flattens on its apex or stalls and fades, but one that holds the hyzer angle the whole flight--you can throw any hyzer you want. Any disc prone that will flip easily will work for this: the Underworld will work fine for this kind of training. I just find a mid is easier to use for it.

I was playing a short hole yesterday (215' with a bit of a low canopy) so I was using my Anode. The guy who throw before me when right at it and hit the tray, so I was trying to do that too. Unfortunately, I put about 30 degrees of hyzer on the disc when I meant to only add a touch (I always throw with a little hyzer for consistency). The Anode when dead straight but held the hyzer angle the whole flight--it was crazy. It also faded hard and left me with a longish putt that I missed. It was a bad shot, but the form was there, the tuning was just off and something less stable than the Anode like a Leopard, River, Underworld, etc. would have flipped up to flat. Work to see that hyzer angle throughout the whole flight with other discs, then throw low straight hyzers with your understable stuff and you'll have your laser beam hyzer flip. I think the Underworld, being a bit more understable, is better than a River for learning this.

I'd still be curious to hear more feedback from those who have thrown VIPs. We've gotten a few small statements, but I'm still wondering how much more stable the VIPs are. That would go a long way to determining how versatile the mold is.

I have a TP Underworld and a VIP Tursas on the way...I don't know why I chose that mix of plastics, but Ive always felt that Westsides drivers performed better in TP. I did not, however, like the Warship in TP. I think the Underworld will work well for me in TP...but from all the reviews here I'm not sure it will find a slot in my bag. This could be money for my dad, though.

Granted, I am not great, but after a few throws my VIP Underworld feels just like my Rivers. I don't see a lot of difference. I'll give it some time, but looks like it won't stick for me.

Personally, my river always fades out for me IF i give it enough height. However, the underworld, if given enough snap will hold a turn the entire flight for me.

I think maybe my older Rivers are just beat enough to do the same thing. I've got a couple Underworlds around 168 or 169 if anyone wants them.

I have a 172 VIP on its way, mostly because I couldn't find a mid-160s TP, so I'll be able to comment on the how the VIPs fly later in the week.

Got me a sweet Finnish variant!
Manala_zpseffb7d30.jpg

Underworld is exactly what I want in a turnover fairway driver. Thank you Westside!

For the Underworld I got to have a meaningful chance at being a nice turnover disc for me, I have to throw it at about a 45 degree hyzer and power it down to about 50%. Anything else, and it's an immediate roller that I can't feel I have much control over. But I am going to keep working at it, even though I don't throw backhand rollers. Ever. Unless it's by mistake.

I had the same experience. My white pearl tournament plastic Underworld (173g) is a slow tracking right with no fade machine if I throw on an 8 o'clock hyzer from a standstill that gives me 260 - 280 ft. If I lean into it it flips over into the ground with the same amount of hyzer and the same low release. I experimented with getting a little more height, but I couldn't find the sweet spot, instead just rolling it or flying a kite. I see it as a very useful utility disc, an opposite number to my Demon...
Hmmm, Underworld and Demon. Just sayin'.

Got my first throws in with my 167 TP Underworld. I liked it after only the first throw. Put a tad bit of hyzer on it with about 80% power and it flips up to flat and glides super straight for a long ways. It has no turn and no fade either when I would release it at the right hyzer angle. Thrown flat it turns over similar to my beat up Rivers. It may very well have more glide than a River. I only got a few throws with it yesterday because the course I played is mostly midrange shots for me. Gonna take it out today to where I can throw it on more holes. So far I am loving it but not sure if it will stay in my bag because I have so many Rivers and I have one for about any shot I need.

Latest posts