• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tell Me What I Need to Work on

tylerc

Double Eagle Member

Here is about an 80% power throw with a small hyzer. critique away!
I throw golf lines up to 425 and max out 450. please tell me any thing and everything that I need to fix

I have similar distance and capabilities as you, and if those numbers aren't just internet distance...not many people here can really give you any advice that will dramatically improve your game. No offense to the gurus.

Nice form btw you have a very well defined hit point

Your throwing plane is out of alignment and looks like you never really release the arm leveraged from the hips. Your arm is saying huge hyzer at reachback, but your shoulders and balance is saying roller. Your balance is back behind your heels, you should be more tilted forward over the toes. You then throw your upper body forward leaving the hips behind and compensate. Your finish should be more stacked and getting taller, you get shorter as your posture collapses through impact.

the reach back at that angle was a bit weird.. so what I'm getting is:
work on staying on the toes
keep weight on the front of my feet (so toes)
keep more upright on the hit? or in general?
ill see if I can get to the field again tonight and work on it

Keep your weight more on the insides of your feet/arches/instep, and spine tilted more over the disc/toes, more athletic posture like you are squatting 300lbs over your shoulders throughout the throw. Your reachback position is not very athletic with you leaning back, I could push you over backward fairly easy. Everything after that point is compensation.

This is what a hyzer should look like lower reachback and higher finish, the rear foot finishes behind the front foot:

new video

well it was rainy and about 35 out so I got bored and braved the cold to make a video. please critique my form here. I have been working on the things I was told after the last video and have gained a lot of consistency and gotten a lot better but I haven't quite gained any distance but I'm sure it will come soon. I labeled what I was throwing and the line that it was intended to be released on. the last throw was one I threw in of me slipping on the wet concrete :doh: but I didn't slip on the flat release ones but I did on the hyzer ones. anyways I have changed just throwing hyzers into more of a Swedish style because it feels more comfortable and consistent, I have been working on staying on the toes and being in a more athletic stance while throwing. I didn't quite achieve that athletic stance as well today cuz I threw maybe 2 hundred throws yesterday.. I also had a major issue with my follow through being on a different plane from my swing plane (throwing hyzer then following through on an anhyzer). so now I manipulate that follow through angle to create more lines which has become exceedingly useful. so I tried to keep these shots on one plane so the hyzers came out a bit funny looking.. I am still leaning forward during the hit but it is less than before and it is also after the release so idk how to fix that besides focus on just staying upright? also im not sure about my leading shoulder, I am lifting it up almost to my ear and am not sure that should be happening or not? plz give any and every suggestion

Looks a little better but you are still not bracing against the front side and leading with the hips/weight transfer, you crash over top the front side and your posture collapses through the finish. I have some more video I need to edit that will explain how your lower spine is not braced and your rotational axis is moving around, but the door frame drill should with this transfer/move and loading your shoulder/arm.

any tips for bracing against the front side? should I do the door frame drill?

Slow down some. Not a lot, but a little. Slowing down was one of the biggest things that helped my distance. That, and everything sidewinder has said....

Nice...Nice...Nice... Thanks sidewinder. Always a big fan,working on 2years, still searching for that aha-moment. This second video (door frame drill) really hit home. Looks like a stance + sweep + swing set momentum + bracing for weight transfer, along with correct rotation,right? Also thinking this could be considered a two part process meaning I think I`m starting to see how important not only M. beto`s peck drill fits in the puzzle but the importants of the correct posture finish (balance) Thanks to my bro & you. does this sound right? Thanks again to you and all the great teachers on here....:) Trying to get to that magic 350-400ish range.

hah that is his most calm usually he just yaps a ton

Tylerc, try tucking your chin in and look down at the ground... let the rotation of your shoulders force your head to turn. This should keep your posture from collapsing at the hit. Will S. explains this further in his technique video.

Also, bring your left hand closer to your stomach rather than your left hip.

I wish I could work on all these things today.. its raining and cold out :(

Your lack off follow thru on your new vid hurts my shoulder just watching it. That's calling for a torn rotator cuff in the future. Work on your footing on going from toe to pivoting on your heel on your release and back to toe on your follow thru. Not a fan of Avery's form but he has nice follow thru where his left shoulder is always facing his target after his throw.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L5_Rbv1hMs

Actually after watching it again your footings not bad but your still resisting to fully follow thru which could be due to planting your foot too hard instead of staying light on your feet.

Nice...Nice...Nice... Thanks sidewinder. Always a big fan,working on 2years, still searching for that aha-moment. This second video (door frame drill) really hit home. Looks like a stance + sweep + swing set momentum + bracing for weight transfer, along with correct rotation,right? Also thinking this could be considered a two part process meaning I think I`m starting to see how important not only M. beto`s peck drill fits in the puzzle but the importants of the correct posture finish (balance) Thanks to my bro & you. does this sound right? Thanks again to you and all the great teachers on here....:) Trying to get to that magic 350-400ish range.
I'm a little confused on your questions, but I get into the power zone/right pec position from the door frame drill(releasing from the door frame) and it should all lead to one fluid motion. I see a lot of players get into bad positions from the stance where they have no chance to get into the power zone/right pec. When people don't properly brace against the front leg their spine rotates before the bracing and crashes into it/over it and stops rotation/momentum. When you brace and post up on the front leg properly the spine is allowed to finish rotation. The rotation is not the intention of the swing, but it's the byproduct of getting out of the way of momentum.

Did you mention that you were making a new video about bracing against the front leg or is it already on your account?

I'm definitely struggling with that as well.

Did you mention that you were making a new video about bracing against the front leg or is it already on your account?

If you go through what he does in Door Drill Pt. 2, I can't help but think you will brace naturally, because if you're pulling on a wall you're going to have that forward foot bracing in case you lose your grip and fall forward.

Latest posts