• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Texas Collegiate Championships- No Overhands?

Personally, I'm in favor of the PDGA granting waivers to TDs to try things, even foolish things, as long as the players are forewarned.

As for it being a state championship, or selecting a representative to the collegiate nationals, that's a local issue, to be fought out in Texas. Just as you would any other bad tournament decisions.

The letting the rounds be rated---in light of other decisions---is what irks me.

On the bright side, the idea of such as rule is one of the best disc golf laughs I've had, other than videos involving wind or rolling discs, and for that I appreciate it.

- I've seen this exact thing before on courses accomplished with horizontal mandos / triple mandos. However, they only limited a certain path, not a shot. You can still throw an overhand as long as you go beneath something. I read that the TD Would have built triple mandos in front of every tee if the waiver wasn't approved. As much as I would have hated it, that should have been the result.
Then we're at the discussion of sensible mandos/OBs. You *can* place a triple mando at every tee pad, but everyone will hate it.

You're right, it's a question of the location. Here a whole lot of effort (and workarounds) goes into fixing a ``broken'' course ... for the intended use case. Let's assume that another location is no option. If they just want to select the best players, then there's no need for ratings -> problem fixed.

Still, as someone wrote: Selecting the best players on a single day on a bad course, doesn't necessarily select the best ones.

One of the things I've always like about disc golf was the concept that if it comes out of your hand (for the most part) it's a throw. There's no distinction between overhand, forehand, etc. which is a part of the game that has always appealed to me - shot creativity. This rule limits creativity and thus takes some of the shine off the sport for me.
Well said! ... so simple and so attractive: Just throw the disc! (No limitations necessary)

Last edited:
I agree with you on most of these points however has there ever been anything done at USDGC that was more "thrower related" than "course related"?

No. The one thing I've appreciated about Winthrop Gold from a design standpoint was it forced you into certain types of shots without requiring them.

Another question:

Is it possible to write this rule in a precise way that leaves no questions? I'd be throwing sky hyzers, sky anhyzers, grenades and sky forehands based on how the rule in the Texas tournament was written. If those are permissible, what is the point of this?!?!

I (as a 18 year old kid) hope that this rule becomes a PDGA rule across all events with one exception, when you are behind a tree with no other way that to either throw threw the trees or over them, but only form the fairway. I can throw 270' OHs but why would I do that if i know that I can execute a FH roller, spike hyzer, or other shot that is harder to execute properly compared to an OH. I'm sure I'm in the minority but it leads to layers using it for other things than what it was designed for which was to clear over obstacles when there is no clear path to the basket.

most fh rollers comes from an overhand angle fyi therefore fh rollers are also banned

I want to thank the Texas Collegiate Championships in advance for setting this precedent the next time I need to request a simple rules variance to not allow the use of last place in bounds for a single hole.

I want to thank the Texas Collegiate Championships in advance for setting this precedent the next time I need to request a simple rules variance to not allow the use of last place in bounds for a single hole.

In 2018, the rules have been updated to allow TD's to restrict OB options, so you wouldn't need it anyway.

Not correct based on the posted rules for the event.

Still curious how it's worded, to disallow overhand shots while allowing shots with an overhead release (rollers, etc.).

Or is it just a "you know what we're talking about" rule?

What if you throw a huge sky forehand roller and the wind makes it turn into a tomahawk?

Still curious how it's worded, to disallow overhand shots while allowing shots with an overhead release (rollers, etc.).

Or is it just a "you know what we're talking about" rule?

Only other thing posted online is:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171111-215443.jpg
    Screenshot_20171111-215443.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 78
In 2018, the rules have been updated to allow TD's to restrict OB options, so you wouldn't need it anyway.

Not the way I read it. From the new rulebook, 806.02(D):

"[following the 1st 3 options for a lie after throwing OB]....The above options for an out-of-bounds area may be limited by the Director only with prior approval from the PDGA Tour Manager."

This is one of the dumbest disc golf decisions I've ever seen.

Can they not just play at a different course?

Is it not also possible to just sky anny or sky hyzer over the trees?

"[following the 1st 3 options for a lie after throwing OB]....The above options for an out-of-bounds area may be limited by the Director only with prior approval from the PDGA Tour Manager."

Yeah. Unfortunately the competition committee overruled the Rules Committee on this one. :(

Interesting. I Was wrong. I admit I haven't 100% read the entire 2018 rules book. It's on my xmas reading list.

Is there a list of who is on the competition committee?

The head of the Competition Committee is actually the TD of this tournament in question, just FYI. I am also a member of the committee, though I am a brand new member and have yet to chime in on anything.

As to MTL's point (Robert Leonard): The USDGC gets waivers for various rules, such as going to a DZ on an island green on 17 after three OB throws, or various stroke and distance holes, stuff like that. The USDGC, to my knowledge, has never gotten a waiver to limit the way the disc is thrown at their tournament. Here is the definition of an X Tier:

The "X" in X-Tier stands for experimental. These can be doubles events, ratings-based events, team events, and experimental events with formats approved by the PDGA Tour Manager. An X-Tier event can be sanctioned at the A-Tier, B-Tier, or C-Tier level for the purposes of points allocation, depending on purse and field size.

As anyone reads that definition, does disallowing a throwing style fit with that definition? I would say absolutely not.