• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The 2014 Memorial Championship

I don't hear many here who roll, especially at Vista. Must be an older guy thing.

Nikko, Brinster, Feldy and KG all rolled a few different times at vista. And almost everybody rolled on 15(?)

Going back a few pages...I'd disagree that Paul struggled after or due to the break. He just about aced 15 immediately after play resumed. His drive on 16 was sawed off but that was it. He was CTP on 17 and by that point the storm was so bad nobody could do anything anyway.

Also, lefties play fine at vista and FH. But that's just IMO.

Going back a few pages...I'd disagree that Paul struggled after or due to the break. He just about aced 15 immediately after play resumed. His drive on 16 was sawed off but that was it. He was CTP on 17 and by that point the storm was so bad nobody could do anything anyway.

Also, lefties play fine at vista and FH. But that's just IMO.

Plus, he already had a comfortable lead. There wasn't any need for him to keep playing aggressively. He had 4 holes left with a 4 stroke lead.

Anybody know what purple midrange/putter paul has at 19:51 round 3 of McFly's video? That is sick looking.

There were spotters on the drainage hole.

there were not any spotters for #13? the elevated basket with ditch just beyond. I watched multiple discs float downstream on that hole. maybe there were spotters for the top few cards but not earlier groups.

What about that one spotter who would haul butt full on sprint to the the disc before it would even get there and have to jump out of the way. That guys was legit!

Holy cow, there are alot of videos from this tourney. Terry, Marty and DG Weekly have all posted several rounds worth of coverage. I know MurderMike was there. He's probably still editing. Lots of good stuff to watch.

Holy cow, there are alot of videos from this tourney. Terry, Marty and DG Weekly have all posted several rounds worth of coverage. I know MurderMike was there. He's probably still editing. Lots of good stuff to watch.

Have not heard of DG weekly, and did several searches on Youtube and got nothing. Link?

NM had to search as DGweekly, thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:
I haven't seen any coverage of FPO. Paige played better than most of the men...until the final round.

I haven't seen any coverage of FPO. Paige played better than most of the men...until the final round.

When she no longer had to, really. Entering the last round with a 14 stroke lead, with the conditions forecasted, only required avoiding big numbers rather than piling up birdies. She still carded the 3rd best score in her division for the round, which was more than she needed to do to ensure the win.

But even with her final round, she finished with a total score that cashes in any other division with ease, so she still played better than most of the men for the week.

It is too bad no one had a camera on the FPO leaders. There was less drama with Paige running away with it, but it would still be cool to see.

Thanks again to Marty for the great vids and the players for braving some crappy elements to play some fine golf.

Onto the backhand/forehand discussion. I'm not familiar with the "local but not national touring west coast pros" but it appears to be just as infrequent there as it is on the East Coast that a > 980 rated player heavily (90% of the time) relies on forehand driving. Keith Russom is one of those exceptions and he was shown in Marty's Round 2 video. He played Vista really well (49 and 54, 1068 and 1022 rated) while really struggled at Fountain Hills (60 and 60, 963 and 946 rated). As a forehander, he took some pretty wild lines at Fountain Hills in that second round. As a LHBHer, I could see myself having to take those crazy lines too. Playing over the hazard over and over isn't necessarily a good thing. Miss your hyzer line and you are virtually ree-teeing at 3. I would bet that he would tell us that Fountain Hills is really tough on him as a forehander while Vista was either neutral or favorable to him.

And onto the 400ft debate. I'm sure on flat ground that Paul can get a disc to go 400ft using his forehand. However, is he going to hit the 400ft golf lines that he demands of himself; probably not. As is evidenced in tons of the video of players who are top 20 World Players, they seem comfortable out to 325-350' or so hitting the lines that they prefer. McBeth, Rico, Lizotte, Schusterick, Doss all come to mind that have controlled/reliable forehands throwns at moderate power levels.

He has a great FH, 400 feet isn't needed to have a great FH though.
Depends entirely on your definition of what a "great" forehand is. If you're not capable of a 400 foot air shot with a forehand, you've got a very good one, potentially great accuracy - but overall greatness of the shot? It isn't a "great" forehand. Being able to get more air distance tends to equate to longer controlled distance. I think you need to be able to control a forehand out to 400 feet with accuracy on a golf line to be considered a "great" forehander. Which means far more than 400 feet of total potential air distance to be considered "great." I realize that this is a small subset of the disc population, but otherwise - you're kinda watering down the word "great."

Depends entirely on your definition of what a "great" forehand is. If you're not capable of a 400 foot air shot with a forehand, you've got a very good one, potentially great accuracy - but overall greatness of the shot? It isn't a "great" forehand. Being able to get more air distance tends to equate to longer controlled distance. I think you need to be able to control a forehand out to 400 feet with accuracy on a golf line to be considered a "great" forehander. Which means far more than 400 feet of total potential air distance to be considered "great." I realize that this is a small subset of the disc population, but otherwise - you're kinda watering down the word "great."

My 275' FH is great. Probably will be able to use it another 2-3 years before I require surgery.

I'm with you but of course everything is relative. Is McBeths FH better then 99.9% of disc golfers? Yeah I would say so. I would say he's not elite in your territory or Avery/Rickie/Jerms.

Latest posts