• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] The 3rd Mold from RDG: What interests YOU?!

What type of mold do you want to see produced from RDG next?

• Total voters
I agree here fully. I think that by increasing the bead size and creating a standard vertical inner rim will produce a fantastic class of molds.

This x1000. I said it on facebook a while back; Make a nice overstable, flat, beaded midrange and run them in fossil plastic. Id kick rocs to the curb in a heartbeat. You already made a rhino killer, go after the roc.

Never heard of the warrior. I'll check it out. I picked the fairway option. I hate growing attached to my teebirds. I find I'll throw a different fairway then the optimal teebird because I've had it for over a year. I want to have back ups and such.

Doesn't take long to break a xt atlas into turnover so not so much worried about my mods situation.

But I personally like to stick with one company. Save a little money on bigger orders and on shipping and stuff. Least with innova pro shop.

The Warrior is my midrange. If any of you remember, prior to the Scale, I heavily considered starting with a mid. Now that we did the PnA series, I'm glad we didn't because I learned a lot about the process of disc production. That said, I still have the desire to do a mid ;)

As long as you don't just jump straight to high speed overstable stuff (like everyone else in the market has been doing) I think you will be okay.

I would be likely to try out a roc killer if you made one. I am not happy with my roc3s and buzzzes were too understable after awhile.

You know what no one is really making? A slightly OS, cycleable driving and approach lid. You'd have a niche all to yourself. I'm not likely to replace my stack of Rocs, or Eagles, or OLFs, but I'm darned sure to purchase a stack of Copy-Kittens.

That's exactly what the Yikun Claws/Salient Lockjaw is. Since RDG and Salient aren't working together anymore, I'm not sure that's a direction that RDG should go at this time.

I would be likely to try out a roc killer if you made one. I am not happy with my roc3s and buzzzes were too understable after awhile.

Have you tried:
Lightning #2 Hyzer
Discraft Drone
Westside Bard
Discraft Buzzz OS
Innova Gator
Innova Griffin
Discraft Hornet
Prodigy Disc M1
Discmania MD3
Hyzer Bomb Mortar
Innova Phenix
Innova Roc
Millennium Sentinel MF
MVP Tensor
Discraft Typhoon
MVP Vector
Dynamic Discs Verdict
Gateway War Spear
Discraft Wasp"

Or:
Lightning #2 Hookshot
Lightning #3 Hookshot
DGA Aftershock
Millennium Aurora MF
Innova Cro
Gateway Devil Hawk
Gateway Element-X
Legacy Ghost
Innova King Cobra
Prodigy Disc M2
Latitude 64 Mace
Discmania MD1
Discmania MD2 Fiend
Daredevil Moose
Discraft MRX
Discraft Nebula
Vibram Obex
Latitude 64 Pain
Innova Shark
Innova Shark3
CHING Sniper
Discraft Vortex
Yikun Yao?

One of those might work as an OS mid.

My point, and no jab intended at anyone at all, is that there are already a few OS mids out there.

Have you tried:
Lightning #2 Hyzer
Discraft Drone
Westside Bard
Discraft Buzzz OS
Innova Gator
Innova Griffin
Discraft Hornet
Prodigy Disc M1
Discmania MD3
Hyzer Bomb Mortar
Innova Phenix
Innova Roc
Millennium Sentinel MF
MVP Tensor
Discraft Typhoon
MVP Vector
Dynamic Discs Verdict
Gateway War Spear
Discraft Wasp"

Or:
Lightning #2 Hookshot
Lightning #3 Hookshot
DGA Aftershock
Millennium Aurora MF
Innova Cro
Gateway Devil Hawk
Gateway Element-X
Legacy Ghost
Innova King Cobra
Prodigy Disc M2
Latitude 64 Mace
Discmania MD1
Discmania MD2 Fiend
Daredevil Moose
Discraft MRX
Discraft Nebula
Vibram Obex
Latitude 64 Pain
Innova Shark
Innova Shark3
CHING Sniper
Discraft Vortex
Yikun Yao?

My point, and no jab intended at anyone at all, is that there are already a few OS mids out there.

But are those available in Pre-historic quality Fossil Plastic to season to perfection?! :D

I do see your point though my friend

Have you tried:
Lightning #2 Hyzer
Discraft Drone
Westside Bard
Discraft Buzzz OS
Innova Gator
Innova Griffin
Discraft Hornet
Prodigy Disc M1
Discmania MD3
Hyzer Bomb Mortar
Innova Phenix
Innova Roc
Millennium Sentinel MF
MVP Tensor
Discraft Typhoon
MVP Vector
Dynamic Discs Verdict
Gateway War Spear
Discraft Wasp"

Or:
Lightning #2 Hookshot
Lightning #3 Hookshot
DGA Aftershock
Millennium Aurora MF
Innova Cro
Gateway Devil Hawk
Gateway Element-X
Legacy Ghost
Innova King Cobra
Prodigy Disc M2
Latitude 64 Mace
Discmania MD1
Discmania MD2 Fiend
Daredevil Moose
Discraft MRX
Discraft Nebula
Vibram Obex
Latitude 64 Pain
Innova Shark
Innova Shark3
CHING Sniper
Discraft Vortex
Yikun Yao?

Where did you get that list? He's talking about a slightly OS mid like the Roc, not an OS mid like a Gator.

Your list includes the Drone and the MD3... and a War Spear which isn't even a mid. Three totally different discs. You might as well have listed any mid with 0 HSS.

That's exactly what the Yikun Claws/Salient Lockjaw is. Since RDG and Salient aren't working together anymore, I'm not sure that's a direction that RDG should go at this time.

nnnnnnnnope. :p

claws plastic was reeeeeally bad and (as we spoke about in the other thread) the shape itself just didn't feel right to me. never got around to the lockjaw, but have no desire since it's premium plastic.

nobody makes a good "lid-like" disc in plastic options that someone wants. that's the problem. with gateway plastic i think it can be done. gateway plastic is better than premium imo. it's like premium baseline.

fill out your putter line. ;) make a small lid.

other than that i'd be on board for a stable/os mid like a roc killer.

I voted lid, BUT:

Premium plastic needs to be available. Either make a different type of mold or have premium available for the lid - we already have Sonics/Rattlers/Polecats etc in baseline.

Where did you get that list? He's talking about a slightly OS mid like the Roc, not an OS mid like a Gator.

Your list includes the Drone and the MD3... and a War Spear which isn't even a mid. Three totally different discs. You might as well have listed any mid with 0 HSS.

Exactly my point; there are a hundred discs that are OS mids (or tweener/long putters like Warspear and Envy), from snap-hook to neutral/stable (I didn't even bother with a list of neutral/stable mids). There are enough variations of Rocs, for god's sake, to cover everything from meathook (some USDGCs) to straight (flat top KCs and DXs). There isn't room in there. I mean, there's room, but it is pretty elbow-to-elbow.

Anyway, I vote lid. Please.

I understand all of you lid guys think the most important disc any company could ever make is something 90% of disc golfers would never even think about buying. Again I just don't see making a lid as a good business move. Especially for all of the R&D that would have to go into it.

With Innova putting more and more emphasis on new discs instead of focusing on their staple, i.e. the Roc, I think the market is prime for a new mid. I know I'm down to my last two DX Rocs with the straight up and down rim and all I see on the shelf is the slightly plus molded versions, when these two are gone I'll be in the market for a new workhorse mid.

As with the lessons you learned from the putters there will likely be lessons learned from a mid that you can apply to driver. I imagine the principle of learning to manufacture discs isn't all that different from the principle of learning to throw them. Start with a slow predicable putter, I haven't thrown the Scale or the Serpent but from what I've read it sounds as though you've checked that off. Now move to the mid-range discs and then the drivers.

Don't jump ahead is my advice.

As for the lid, the same debate is running through the MVP threads as well and I'll be honest, I love throwing lids, all of them, they are fun to throw and easy to learn, they require more finesse and nothing sits and sticks like lids but they have a limited following and given how long the stacks of Birdies and Polecats sit on my local retailers shelf I can't imagine Innova is producing them at much of a profit which for a business has to be the goal.

When you've got enough market share that RDG can support itself and you then give the fans that grew your business a lid if they want one, for now I think a lid would be a step backwards and a driver skipping a step forward.

Have you tried:
Lightning #2 Hyzer
Discraft Drone
Westside Bard
Discraft Buzzz OS
Innova Gator
Innova Griffin
Discraft Hornet
Prodigy Disc M1
Discmania MD3
Hyzer Bomb Mortar
Innova Phenix
Innova Roc
Millennium Sentinel MF
MVP Tensor
Discraft Typhoon
MVP Vector
Dynamic Discs Verdict
Gateway War Spear
Discraft Wasp"

Or:
Lightning #2 Hookshot
Lightning #3 Hookshot
DGA Aftershock
Millennium Aurora MF
Innova Cro
Gateway Devil Hawk
Gateway Element-X
Legacy Ghost
Innova King Cobra
Prodigy Disc M2
Latitude 64 Mace
Discmania MD1
Discmania MD2 Fiend
Daredevil Moose
Discraft MRX
Discraft Nebula
Vibram Obex
Latitude 64 Pain
Innova Shark
Innova Shark3
CHING Sniper
Discraft Vortex
Yikun Yao?

Thats strictly true. But you could put a similar list together on any speed/ stability class right now, so that is really a moot point. there are A ton of wing configurations that will make an OS mid, many of them are not remotely close to being roc like.

Also, RDG has fossil plastic, which trumps that whole list. Fossil plastic is basically mana from heaven as far as Im concerned.

I understand all of you lid guys think the most important disc any company could ever make is something 90% of disc golfers would never even think about buying.

Pfft. This is not elitist. I (and maybe the other "lid guys") are just looking for a smaller company with the courage to think outside the box to put out something unique. Something that maybe the bigger guys won't. Like a lid in amazing, stiff, durable plastic. I think if more people tried one out, they might be surprised the wonders it could work for their approach game.

Thats strictly true. But you could put a similar list together on any speed/ stability class right now, so that is really a moot point.

Also, RDG has fossil plastic, which trumps that whole list. Fossil plastic is basically mana from heaven as far as Im concerned.

Fossil is the bees knees. I couldn't agree more. I've got a a stack of Fossil Scales.
But you definitely couldn't put together a list like that for lids. Which is why I'd like just one in such an amazing plastic. Jamie, you know how I feel about fossil. And about lids. So I'm done.

Last edited:
Pfft. This is not elitist. I (and maybe the other "lid guys") are just looking for a smaller company with the courage to think outside the box to put out something unique. Something that maybe the bigger guys won't. Like a lid in amazing, stiff, durable plastic. I think if more people tried one out, they might be surprised the wonders it could work for their approach game.

But the thing is they WON'T try it. I have thrown lids before but would never buy one.

davidrboy: do you want a durable lid or a "cycleable driving mid" because you've said both.

Either way, I don't think it should be RDG's next step, from a business standpoint. I know jcass doesn't run RDG to get rich, but I don't think he would make enough on a lid disc to make it worthwhile.

Unless someone wants to start up a crowdfunding deal to pay for the molds and first two runs...

davidrboy: do you want a durable lid or a "cycleable driving mid" because you've said both.

Either way, I don't think it should be RDG's next step, from a business standpoint. I know jcass doesn't run RDG to get rich, but I don't think he would make enough on a lid disc to make it worthwhile.

Unless someone wants to start up a crowdfunding deal to pay for the molds and first two runs...

Fossil is durable and cycleable. So is Star, KC Pro, etc.

Sadly, I agree about the wisest business choice, but that isn't what Jamie asked.

Crowdfunding eh? That's actually not a bad idea.

Make it happen, cap'n. PM jcass and see if he'd be willing to do that if you can raise the money. I'd contribute. But I love RDG and I don't want to see them go under. If crowdfunding doesn't work, we all might have to wait quite awhile for a lid to come out from RDG.