• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] The 3rd Mold from RDG: What interests YOU?!

What type of mold do you want to see produced from RDG next?

• Total voters

jcassidy1990

Reptilian Disc Golf
RDG has always been about creating products that the DGCR player wants in their bag. I'm been a member of this site for as long as I've been playing this sport and I would never have reached this point without the advice, guidance & support of all of you obsessive golfers.

The Scale/Serpent PnA duo has been a massive hit for us and I've seen dozens of favorable reviews sprinkled throughout the web. I want to build upon that momentum and make our third mold into another highly regarded project. Our little foray with Salient has been mutually aborted so we will most likely be producing our next project with Gateway as well. Keeping in mind their ability to produce some of the finest blends of baseline/semi-premium plastics on the market, what type of mold do you want to see from us next?

I have several ideas to bring some new molds to the game that I believe will be received well but I want to hear what my DGCR cronies think before I start working on anything. Thank you for your continued support :D

Can never get enough of stable midranges. Something that seasons into a laserbeam sweet spot with zero fade, eventually becoming a turnover. I think Gateway right now has mids that go straight out of the box and then develop turn as they season, and mids that have decent fade but never quite get the fade beaten out of them entirely... Would be nice to find some nice middle ground.

DRB's broken record:

How about just a sub-9" diameter, shallow-ish Polecat-esque lid with the tiniest bit more HSS and LSF molded in nice stiff KCish plastic available in weights from 155 to 175?

Call it the Snapper or the Copy-Kitten or whatever? Give it a super badass stamp. I don't care about the name or the stamp. But I know what I want in a fossil lid. Can't we all get together behind that?

Might not sell as well as some other ideas, but it will give you CRED!!! (Not that you need any more of that.)

Last edited:
The hype in the lid thread notwithstanding, I'd love to see a reliable, OS fairway driver that can be cycled. I used to say I'd never ditch Teebirds and Rocs, but nothing is sacred in this day and age. An OS driver that cycles well would be a Godsend...one in Armor to stay OS forever and three in Fossil in various stages of wear....oh yeah, baby!

Can never get enough of stable midranges. Something that seasons into a laserbeam sweet spot with zero fade, eventually becoming a turnover. I think Gateway right now has mids that go straight out of the box and then develop turn as they season, and mids that have decent fade but never quite get the fade beaten out of them entirely... Would be nice to find some nice middle ground.

I agree here fully. I think that by increasing the bead size and creating a standard vertical inner rim will produce a fantastic class of molds.

Another idea (since I voted two) - this is a combination of two things.

First, it would be nice to get some sort of a control driver in the 7-8 speed range. Maybe along the lines of the Apache to start with but a disc that behaves more like the Teebird/Eagle.

Second would have to be a consistent durable HPP type plastic. I haven't found many fairway/driver discs that I like from Gateway yet, but the few that I did like I could never keep in my bag because they turned into roller discs after just a few hard hits into trees or up against pavement. Even overstable molds like the Blaze in recent HPP plastics start turning after some abuse if you're not careful.

I would probably be throwing Slayers today if they ever made them in a plastic that held its stability longer.

I have a hard time committing bagging any Gateway drivers because of the lack of trust in their HPP blends.

The hype in the lid thread notwithstanding, I'd love to see a reliable, OS fairway driver that can be cycled. I used to say I'd never ditch Teebirds and Rocs, but nothing is sacred in this day and age. An OS driver that cycles well would be a Godsend...one in Armor to stay OS forever and three in Fossil in various stages of wear....oh yeah, baby!

I was torn between the fairway and lid options. I voted lid because I'd be hella curious to see the results, and because it'd be a novel disc in Gateway's plastic. BUT, the control driver is an intriguing thought and would also add something completely different to RDG's line up, for those who are set in the putter department but still want to try something of yours out.

I agree here fully. I think that by increasing the bead size and creating a standard vertical inner rim will produce a fantastic class of molds.

I actually love their curved inner rims. I'm in the minority on this one, unfortunately. I guess people not used to it find it strange enough to be turned away without giving it much of a chance.

Gateway mids are some of the most comfortable mids I've ever thrown and the only mids I can power grip because of that inner rim design.

The Snappr - slightly overstable lid

The TeeLizard - OS Fairway ala Teebird.

I actually love their curved inner rims. I'm in the minority on this one, unfortunately. I guess people not used to it find it strange enough to be turned away without giving it much of a chance.

Gateway mids are some of the most comfortable mids I've ever thrown and the only mids I can power grip because of that inner rim design.

I agree here as well. I throw warriors (curved inner rim) and element-x (conventional inner rim) interchangeably. I even prefer the curved inner rim. That said, the inner rim does really make the disc fly differently than a squared away inner rim. A Karma vs. Element-X do have a different balance of HSS/LSS.

I agree here as well. I throw warriors (curved inner rim) and element-x (conventional inner rim) interchangeably. I even prefer the curved inner rim. That said, the inner rim does really make the disc fly differently than a squared away inner rim. A Karma vs. Element-X do have a different balance of HSS/LSS.

Dave tried explaining the inner rim design to me years ago... Something about how the air moves underneath the disc and the inner rim forces the disc to get more nose down. Almost sounds as if the curved inner rim helps correct the nose angle if people habitually tend to release nose up. I honestly don't know enough about physics of flight to know how much truth is in that. If it holds true, however, that would explain the slight differences in flight.

I'm a all innova thrower for the most part (I still have a super beat wizard). I tried the scale. It was a nice disc. I could see it cycling well.

I had originally intended on switching to legacy because I just knew they were going to make protege ghosts and rivals. And they didn't so I said screw it. Roc3 and atlas compliment each other well and been throwing them for awhile. And I already have a cycle of dx and premium teebirds.

So this is what I want: I want a overstable mid and a over stable fairway in semi premium plastic. Maybe the mid is like a roc3. Or maybe between a roc3 and gator that way I can have just four reptilian _____, fresh over stable that will never flip in a headwind, a worn that's stable to over stable like a roc, a straight flyer a thrashed for flippy. Maybe even a premium disc with even more stability to be like a gator with same feel.

The fairway would start off as a brinster. Same deal of stability. And a premium that's a tad more over stable then premium baseline so it would be like a banshee.

Logically I'd say a Karma/Warriorish midrange would be the best next step for you guys. To jump from two outstanding putters straight to a driver of some kind just doesn't seem like a logical move to me.

Big producers crank out plenty of OS mids, OS fairways and OS control drivers. I'd love to try yours, but I'm pretty happy with Rocs, Eagles and TBs, and PDs and OLFs. And their myriad clones.

You know what no one is really making? A slightly OS, cycleable driving and approach lid. You'd have a niche all to yourself. I'm not likely to replace my stack of Rocs, or Eagles, or OLFs, but I'm darned sure to purchase a stack of Copy-Kittens.

So this is what I want: I want a overstable mid and a over stable fairway in semi premium plastic. Maybe the mid is like a roc3. Or maybe between a roc3 and gator that way I can have just four reptilian _____, fresh over stable that will never flip in a headwind, a worn that's stable to over stable like a roc, a straight flyer a thrashed for flippy. Maybe even a premium disc with even more stability to be like a gator with same feel.

Sounds like you're asking for a Warrior for the mid.

I like the curved inner rim too. It was weird at first, but it only took like, half a round to get used to.

But now I'm wondering... If someone took a Warrior, and somehow cut out the curvy part leaving a regular ol' straight rim, how differently would it fly?

I like the curved inner rim too. It was weird at first, but it only took like, half a round to get used to.

But now I'm wondering... If someone took a Warrior, and somehow cut out the curvy part leaving a regular ol' straight rim, how differently would it fly?

It would likely make some subtle changes to the stability. I'd bet it has a more aggressive LSS and would lose a bit of glide.

If you want to have a "fun" disc that a few guys on DGCR buy and then you are stuck with a bunch you should definitely make a lid :rolleyes: I have never met someone that carries a lid in their bag. There isn't much of a market.

My vote was for midranges. Sure rocs and buzzzes have their following but if you make something to compete in several different blends you have yourself a market. People ate up mcpro roc3s because they are an awesome compliment to champ roc3s. With all of the blends available through gateway there could be something for almost everyone.

IMO good call on splitting with salient :clap:

Never heard of the warrior. I'll check it out. I picked the fairway option. I hate growing attached to my teebirds. I find I'll throw a different fairway then the optimal teebird because I've had it for over a year. I want to have back ups and such.

Doesn't take long to break a xt atlas into turnover so not so much worried about my mods situation.

But I personally like to stick with one company. Save a little money on bigger orders and on shipping and stuff. Least with innova pro shop.