• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Ask MJ & Comet Love Thread

For years the only color I will buy an X APX in is yellow. The yellows are money, the other colors are hit and miss meh.

I rarely admit to that because it makes me sound like a lunatic, but since we are starting a yellow Discraft conspiracy theory I thought I'd throw that in there. :|

@gacey87, whom is a R&D machinist for a local plastic injection company, has told me that absolutely color will change how plastic molds up due to how quickly heat is radiated away.
Next time I see him, I will ask about if colorant changes how much 'bleed' a plastic has.

One of the reasons I love white discs, they always seem the same.

@gacey87, whom is a R&D machinist for a local plastic injection company, has told me that absolutely color will change how plastic molds up due to how quickly heat is radiated away.
Next time I see him, I will ask about if colorant changes how much 'bleed' a plastic has.

One of the reasons I love white discs, they always seem the same.
I knew a guy waaayyy back in the day that said white discs were more durable because the color dye was a "pollutant" to disc but the plastic pellets were white so they didn't have a pollutant in them, something like that.

So you can add that to your "why I like white golf discs" list if you believe unsubstantiated rumors spread by a guy who had more beers than discs in his bag. :| He was a lot of fun to throw with...unless it was snowing. When it was snowing, white disc dude had to be on another card.

Mini drift, look at the old Legacy threads. Lion had people review specific colors of Rampages and Cannons, noting that there is absolutely flight differences between them. IIRC greens were the flippiest, followed by yellow, while blue and red were true to numbers. Purple being the beefy ones.

Point being, there's absolutely differences. I gave up on sticking to only one color/weight aside from (oddly enough) my Cannons. Well, more specifically, my maxD ones.

Not MJ related but back on topic, parked a slight downhill 400' hole Monday with an X Comet:)

I knew a guy waaayyy back in the day that said white discs were more durable because the color dye was a "pollutant" to disc but the plastic pellets were white so they didn't have a pollutant in them, something like that.

So you can add that to your "why I like white golf discs" list if you believe unsubstantiated rumors spread by a guy who had more beers than discs in his bag. :| He was a lot of fun to throw with...unless it was snowing. When it was snowing, white disc dude had to be on another card.

Pretty sure that mentality is a big reason why Axiom exists.

Pretty sure that mentality is a big reason why Axiom exists.

Shame MVP can't do "Axiom editions" of some of their molds. LE crazy color Ion/whatever would sell like hot cakes. I don't see black rims as professional...we're throwing plastic toys in a niche outdoor game. I see black rims as harder to find:|

#allrimsmatter

Point being, there's absolutely differences.

Only the Sith deal in absolutes.

It's true, sometimes, with some manufacturers, with some colors, in some plastics.

BUT - the differences are often quite minute (again, not always) and if you can detect the minute differences, then you already know what you're looking for. This debate has been raging for a long time, and personally I attribute it to when colors are run: differences in factory environment conditions likely have more to do with it than color pigments.

Only the Sith deal in absolutes.

It's true, sometimes, with some manufacturers, with some colors, in some plastics.

BUT - the differences are often quite minute (again, not always) and if you can detect the minute differences, then you already know what you're looking for. This debate has been raging for a long time, and personally I attribute it to when colors are run: differences in factory environment conditions likely have more to do with it than color pigments.

Agreed, Mint discs embraces this to market their discs.

Some day MJ will check this thread and wonder what is wrong with all of us...

A lot of these things fall under the "works in theory" portion of the game. If you could set up an experiment where the discs hit something with the same force evenly distributed, a white disc might last longer before it cracks. In reality if you have a white "woods" Comet and a purple "distance" Comet you throw where you have more room, the woods Comet is going to hit more trees, take more damage, have spots where the disc already had damage that hit trees again...all those real World things that are going to shorten the life of the disc. All those variables happen to the discs once they go in our bag, and IMO those variables make any sort of observation about a white disc lasting longer somewhat moot.

t;,dr: don't overthink it, man.

Alright, 2020 MJ Comet is on order, FINALLY!

Is the 2020 series in regular ESP, or is it it's own blend? Any feedback on the plastic, flight and stability?

Yeah I've been keeping an eye out here in Canada but I dunno if those nice Comet's are allowed to leave their country. Gotta support MJ. No matter how crappy the colours you export are.. So many Comet's..

Then I give a couple away replace it with a few.. Haha. Is there a group for this? Wait maybe I'm here... my name is Mike and I have a problem

Last edited:
;)
I didn't like the hand feel of X at first, but man, as it beats in, it just feels better and better.

i always liked it but this is so true. the feel of X plastic gets better and better as it wears in.

i don't throw any discraft drivers but i love my X buzzzes! just got one in the mail today too

(caught myself in a lie... i do throw a predator)

Attachments

• buzzz.jpeg
    buzzz.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 51
It's finally here!
Gave it some nice rips out in the field today, and this is easily the most stable comet I've owned. I was throwing it with some swirly winds today and it didn't sail away on me! Really had to give it a good pull to get it to turn, and of course glide for days.

Attachments

• F831A2E1-B2C4-4CFE-ABAF-45613FD0A329.jpg
    F831A2E1-B2C4-4CFE-ABAF-45613FD0A329.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 58
It's finally here!
Gave it some nice rips out in the field today, and this is easily the most stable comet I've owned. I was throwing it with some swirly winds today and it didn't sail away on me! Really had to give it a good pull to get it to turn, and of course glide for days.

That's what I wanted these to be

i always liked it but this is so true. the feel of X plastic gets better and better as it wears in.

i don't throw any discraft drivers but i love my X buzzzes! just got one in the mail today too

(caught myself in a lie... i do throw a predator)

I agree, X gets the waxy build up from the Shiny stuff going into the plastic that improves grip. This is not the wax that Innova has for the DX and some R-Pro plastics, but rather more like Innova Pro or the way good R-Pro is supposed to be.

good Pro and old school Pro Line... my other favorite plastic!

MJ, curious as to how many discs you have in your arsenal? Do you like to collect at all, or just keep what you need to throw/replacements?

Latest posts