• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Ask MJ & Comet Love Thread

I used to play castle hayne every day when I lived in the area. Its a great all around test of skill...and luck sometimes ;) How do I get a castle hayne stamped disc?

I used to play castle hayne every day when I lived in the area. Its a great all around test of skill...and luck sometimes ;) How do I get a castle hayne stamped disc?

Come down and play the Azalea tournament in April. The club has generally stamped DX rocs in the past, but I'm trying to push for a Castle Hayne stamped Comet this year!!

Fwiw, my favorite glow comets are the small stamped ones.
They are a tick more stable as you observed but not as stable as the yellow ghost stamps jor the ronnys.

....actually, my favorites are the buttery smooth, pre photons, but i highly doubt tanner was asking about them.

Fwiw, my favorite glow comets are the small stamped ones.
They are a tick more stable as you observed but not as stable as the yellow ghost stamps jor the ronnys.

....actually, my favorites are the buttery smooth, pre photons, but i highly doubt tanner was asking about them.

Too new to know anything about those.

Recently moved from Des Moines to Iowa City and I'm throwing a lot more comet on these techy courses.

I've got a question for you MJ

how do you deside when to throw a flick vs throwing a comet on a right turning hole? I know the amount of turn probably has a lot to do with it but I know I have different comets for different turns.

Peebles

Yes the new dd run comets arent great. The old skool ones rock! So flat so buttery! fly like flat esps!

MJ, do you remember that one time, 3 or 4 years ago, when you came up to Yadkin County to play a private course called Ramcat Ridge, and lost by one stroke? :D

It is the high water mark in the guy's life that beat you. He breaks that story out once a month or so at our club events. It reminds me of the episode of Seinfeld where George tells the story of saving the whale.

I've got a question for you MJ

how do you deside when to throw a flick vs throwing a comet on a right turning hole? I know the amount of turn probably has a lot to do with it but I know I have different comets for different turns.

Peebles

it kinda depends upon the type of turn and really what the landing zone looks like. That really makes a big difference in my decision making.
Also it comes down to which type of shot i'm throwing well at the time

MJ, do you remember that one time, 3 or 4 years ago, when you came up to Yadkin County to play a private course called Ramcat Ridge, and lost by one stroke? :D

It is the high water mark in the guy's life that beat you. He breaks that story out once a month or so at our club events. It reminds me of the episode of Seinfeld where George tells the story of saving the whale.

i definitely remember playing Ramcat that day!! I dont feel too bad how i played considering i played the course blind.

I dont remember who i lost to, but i glad him winning lives on and made a big deal of. Glad he can have his george moment!!! :)

How do you power down shots effectively and accurately? I can throw as far as I will need to throw for a long time but if I need to power down, and cannot "disc down" my accuracy goes to poop. At least it goes to poop when I try to hit lines. Do you shorten your reach back? I am just getting tired of throwing passed the basket when just trying to lay up. Thanks for any advise!

If you threw your fastest driver 20 times in a flat, wide-open field as hard as you could what would you guess would be the difference between your farthest throw and your shortest of the 20?

edit: No wind

Last edited:
Do you opt for a less stable disc at higher elevations(more stable at lower) or do you adjust your angle of release to counteract what differences one discovers throwing at different elevations? whew.