• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Ask MJ & Comet Love Thread

Comet mold change?

I'm sure this isn't new, but I feel betrayed somehow by my fondest disc mold. I've been bagging comets for a while and have collected older ones, just because. And just recently I've discovered...the old mold comet isn't the same as the current ones.

I shouldn't be surprised but when did this happen? Clearly the old comet " Saturn/ Comet stamp, Russell series" has a much smaller diameter to the point the diameter of the bead fits inside the rim of the current mold.

Attachments

• 9549A551-53C7-4A75-86F2-9388398DD1CE.jpg
    9549A551-53C7-4A75-86F2-9388398DD1CE.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 9B49C994-C438-45D2-B4D8-D37859F03747.jpg
    9B49C994-C438-45D2-B4D8-D37859F03747.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 92
I'm sure this isn't new, but I feel betrayed somehow by my fondest disc mold. I've been bagging comets for a while and have collected older ones, just because. And just recently I've discovered...the old mold comet isn't the same as the current ones.

I shouldn't be surprised but when did this happen? Clearly the old comet " Saturn/ Comet stamp, Russell series" has a much smaller diameter to the point the diameter of the bead fits inside the rim of the current mold.

I've got a Ron Russell and a 2019 Tour Series...
I'll check them out tomorrow and see if it's "shrinkage" or mold changing.

Shrinkage?

I've got a Ron Russell and a 2019 Tour Series...
I'll check them out tomorrow and see if it's "shrinkage" or mold changing.

My only issue with comet shrinkage would be consistency. I have pictured three old mold comets stacked against a MJ Z comet. The three older comets vary in years and plastic type " elite pro and x". I would have to assume the shrink rate would be different considering these variables, but as you can see...there is barely a difference in diameter.

Attachments

• 584B074D-9BC1-4858-8CE4-B04118FB6B49.jpg
    584B074D-9BC1-4858-8CE4-B04118FB6B49.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 69
It looks like there's significant difference between the diameters of the top Comet and the rest. Do they all fly like Comets? If so, what difference does it really make?

If I understand things correctly, if they did change the mold (diameter) they would then have to resubmit it to the PDGA for approval as it would then be a new mold. Therefore it is shrinkage.

Checked my Ron Russell thrower (very beat up) against one of my thrower MJ (ESP GLO) Comets and they were identical (laying their beads together).

Checked my wall hanger Ron Russell (signature series, #1 of 100) against my wall hanger MJ (ESP GLO) and my MJ (ESP Saturn stamp, 2019 tour series) and they are also identical.

Checked my OG Saturn stamp Comet (inside storage, used, not a wall hanger) against the two MJ Comets mentioned above (wall hangers) and they are also identical.

FWIW. I have about 60-70 Comets . . . only disc I collect. Don't doubt you had a Russell with shrinkage or some kind of variation in yours though. I've never noticed anything as drastic as you described though.

Checked my Ron Russell thrower (very beat up) against one of my thrower MJ (ESP GLO) Comets and they were identical (laying their beads together).

Checked my wall hanger Ron Russell (signature series, #1 of 100) against my wall hanger MJ (ESP GLO) and my MJ (ESP Saturn stamp, 2019 tour series) and they are also identical.

Checked my OG Saturn stamp Comet (inside storage, used, not a wall hanger) against the two MJ Comets mentioned above (wall hangers) and they are also identical.

FWIW. I have about 60-70 Comets . . . only disc I collect. Don't doubt you had a Russell with shrinkage or some kind of variation in yours though. I've never noticed anything as drastic as you described though.

Well... I cant argue against this. However, I've just never seen a disc shrink almost 1/4". I was also assuming a change may have happened between the Walled Lake tooling on the bottom flight plate and when it got wiped clear of markings.

I'd say likely it just has to do with modern plastics being used in a classic mold. The comet was made for TP/X plastic (and whatever preceeded that, I'd have to call on the oldheads for that info) and wasn't made for Z or ESP plastic until 2007-2008 ish. I'm guessing whatever differences you're seeing there show up more between the old plastics vs new blends. Have you ever examined the differences between say, a dx teebird and a champ teebird? They don't quite look the same either.

I really doubt this is as complex as changing molds - however, I've never thrown any Comets from prior to the modern Z production release. Including X plastics

Sorry if this has been asked before but can you elaborate on your putting grip? I thought you used the same grip for throwing and putting. Do you use a fork grip or modified fan grip for putting? Are you pinching the plate with tip of index finger and thumb?

Well worth the wait for this 164-166. Six months I've been hunting for a sick tour series swirl, let alone a throwing weight for me. Immediately going into rotation!

Companion 2005 saturn has 0.25 cm smaller diameter. The 2005 is pro-d plastic, right?

Anybody know when discraft stopped putting a) 'Walled Lake' and b) the patent number, on their discs? I couldn't find when they moved Wixom.

I wonder where this had been hiding! 2019 Tour Series dropped 12 months ago. Probably just got unearthed from a dusty box in a dim corner of discraft during covid/spring cleaning ��. Infinite dropped a lot of discraft 3 & 4 weeks ago, and towards the end of that I just happened to be browsing their newly added's. Lucky!

Attachments

• F0A9A36A-6745-4378-92DA-EE1D223E3642.jpg
    F0A9A36A-6745-4378-92DA-EE1D223E3642.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 75F45C5E-1A83-47C3-B238-C2B326FC18C4.jpg
    75F45C5E-1A83-47C3-B238-C2B326FC18C4.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 3139ADE8-BF02-4005-947E-71BBC1BE400A.jpg
    3139ADE8-BF02-4005-947E-71BBC1BE400A.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Pretty sure I got the above Saturn in 2005. Anybody know when the Saturn started being used on production runs?

No but in 2005-2006 is when Discraft company stopped Using the Saturn stamp. My mom's Elite X Comet from 2005 has a Newer flaming comet or shooting comet Stamp that was used for a while until for Big Z and X went to the boring Meatball stamp though Big Z until recently. Hers has the old Discraft Stamp at the top and in the Stamp for the disc it has the modern Discraft Stamp. It was that they switched the Stamp in the middle of Production for her disc as the Elite X and Discraft stamp at top are the old stamp and inside is the older version of the modern stamp, missing what the new have with the label has with the type of plastic in the mold. Up until 2008 Discraft kept putting the disc labels on the edge of the disc with the name or Stamp in the middle circle.

Latest posts