• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] The Cyclone

culinarywiz

Birdie Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
The Cyclone truly led me to love the flight of a disc.

It revolutionized molds.

Obviously it can no longer hang with the max distance drivers on today's market, but shouldn't it still be considered a reliable fairway driver?

My question is, especially now that they are available in ESP...

Why does this disc get no love?

It gets love, you are just looking in the wrong place.

A lot of gazelle lovers moved over to it after they announced the gazelle discontinued (and then later reneged...too late geniuses).

It gets love, you are just looking in the wrong place.

A lot of gazelle lovers moved over to it after they announced the gazelle discontinued (and then later reneged...too late geniuses).

Cyclone usto be good, now it cant hang with the better stuff

i never really was a gazelle fan. I have an old DX one and i dont like it, just sits in my closet.

I think that "cant hang" stuff is false. There are truly few holes were there is an absolute need for a 400' drive.

Besides that, the real pros could probably throw a birdie farther than 90% throw a boss so I am not completely sold on all this speed 666 crap.

I think that "cant hang" stuff is false. There are truly few holes were there is an absolute need for a 400' drive.

Besides that, the real pros could probably throw a birdie farther than 90% throw a boss so I am not completely sold on all this speed 666 crap.

I agree that "most" people could get them the same distance, seeing as they half throw a boss or full throw a cyclone. But, people who know how to throw are gonna get the boss out there far enough. I actully have an old cyclone and for shorter drive holes i throw it sometimes.

I've got an interesting cyclone story. I found a beat-to-hell cyclone on the course one day, no name or number that I could see, it looked like a dog disc without the teeth marks. The underside of the flight plate was solid black sharpie. So, It made it into the back of the closet for a while.

On a recent trip to the in-laws house, they live up on a ridge and have about 12 acres of natural land mostly covered in cedars/oaks, I bring a bunch of discs for folks to throw around. We make up a par 3 and have fun, etc. I had a couple/few discs that I reserved to launch off into the sunset from the top of the ridge, this cyclone being one.

So, I'm putting on a show for some of my family and friends who were out there messing around. Making some ok drives. I get to this beat to hell cyclone. I uncork one of the biggest drives that I have ever thrown. Beautiful slight anny line, incredibly tight snap, followed by a huge drawn out S-turn. I was standing there in awe watching it fly. Then I kicked myself in the ass for throwing it into oblivion. I went down the next morning to scour the area where I thought it might have landed but not a trace.

I still wish I would have field tested that ugly thing. I might have replaced my driver with it if I could continue throwing it the way I threw it that evening.

That is my only throw and only experience with a Cyclone.

The Cyclone truly led me to love the flight of a disc.

It revolutionized molds.

Obviously it can no longer hang with the max distance drivers on today's market, but shouldn't it still be considered a reliable fairway driver?

I see we've played a similar length of time and I wholeheartedly agree with your first three statements. It was and will forever be a special disc.

I would love one in ESP but I have two older versions just sitting in garage so that probably wouldn't make sense.

Over the years I have taught ALOT of people to play disc and I will always LOVE the cyclone for hooking them after they saw my sweet "flights".

So....there's the love. The reason they are not as popular is new players don't (and won't with all the choices) throw them so they are going extinct unfortunately.

I have an intresting story of loosing a cyclone too! I bought it at a garage same for 50 cents like 5 years ago, and lost it in the woods at my grandparents house, this summer i found it and it had a big hole in it, and it was cracked. For fun i launched it into the middle of the pond at riverside park! no one will ever see that thing again! Thank god its gggoonee!!

My ESP Cyclone is the perfect overstable Midrange/Fairway driver. Granted its no Gator as far as overstability but it is so controllable and it stops on a dime. Within 250 it is my go to disc for left fading shots. Without a doubt one of the best discs I've ever thrown.

Ding ding.

Everything does not have to be a 400+ foot mega driver to be useful. A straight line finesse driver can be a money tool. 250'-300' tee shots, long approaches, tunnel shots etc.

I don't have a cyclone...I personally found the disc kind of uncomfortable, but I do throw gazelles still and it is still a good disc whether or not it fulfills the same role it was designed for.

Ding ding.

Everything does not have to be a 400+ foot mega driver to be useful. A straight line finesse driver can be a money tool. 250'-300' tee shots, long approaches, tunnel shots etc.

I don't have a cyclone...I personally found the disc kind of uncomfortable, but I do throw gazelles still and it is still a good disc whether or not it fulfills the same role it was designed for.

I use more "fairways" than distance drivers. But i use eagles, cause they are the best :D

Ding ding.

F you, I'll throw my Boss through trees, 200' past the basket If I want to. Ps, I traded that Blitz, not because I didn't like it, but because my buddy snatched it up like Gollum from LOTR and traded me 3 discs for it.

Wouldent be ironic if he said a cyclone?

I wish, you guys are making them sound pretty good. Nah, I got a Star FL with a custom dye, a Champ Viking with a very sweet Anarchy dye, and a DX bottom stamp Roc thrown in to boot.

i have a cyclone and love it. im rhbh so i use it when i have to turn a shot over to the right. also good for hyzerflips...u can really control this disc.

problem i think is once it gets beat up it gets crazy,,,turns over way to easy.

I've really wanted to throw the cyclone so bad. I have three. The first flys so sweet but is grass green (cactus). So I bought a red z (when discrafts d had a basket) and it seemed way overstable- granted I may be able to throw it better now. I just got a yellow misprint z w/ ESP stamp that I'd like to give a try. Any tips would be appreaciated.

Because few, if any, sponsored pros throw it. They don't throw it because they're probably already throwing Buzzzes, which can go a long way for big arms and the Cyclone just doesn't do enough better on lower lines for them. They're also probably throwing XL's for that spot because they're a bit longer for those shots and it's been out in premium plastic for a while.

Really good mixed bag players either don't throw them for the same reason, or they throw Eagles because they're that much faster and do that much better in the wind.

Regular players don't throw them because they don't know any better. IMO, most disc golfers throwing farther than 320' would be better off with a Cyclone than with the discs they're currently using, unless they're already throwing Gazelles or Eagles. The only ones who wouldn't benefit are the ones who already have great disc shaping skills.