• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The downside to ams playing random draw doubles

We're thanking spambots for resurrecting forgotten threads. Won't be long before cars are driving themselves. One day, androids will be working jobs, buying homes and raising families.

Then it's"Hasta la vista,baby."

I played in random dubs last year at a tournament at okeehelee park in florida. My partner had just finished fourth in his division at worlds ( i think his name was dave) and I had been playing for a few months. I was horrible. He was a great sport and was supportive throughout the whole thing. I was horrified that I "ruined" his round but he assured me it was supposed to be fun and he had been in the same spot i was at one point.

Very positive experience.

We do A-B at Okee, so it usually works out pretty good. Glad you had fun.

When I played more often and was much better, I never minded being paired with a new/less advanced player.

It took a lot of pressure off and I found it much easier to have a good time.

Much of the round was then spent talking about my bag versus their bag and why i threw certain discs for certain shots.

They would end up really enjoying their round and going away with some tips for improving.

I can't imagine ever getting pissed off by this scenario.

Maybe the local pro was unemployed and needed to win leagues so they could buy more beer?

I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords!

86047e2c7bfbe4faa0fc8d4165a71812.png

Agent Peabody hasn't been seen or heard since 2012???

Didn't realize I'd already posted in this thread... from 10 years ago :p

Anyway, I run the random draw doubles on Sundays at Jefferson Barracks in St. Louis. Buy in is $7. $5 goes towards payout and $2 goes towards the ace pool. A couple weeks ago we cleared a ~$1500 ace pool. That drew people out of the woodwork for sure.

Nikko occasionally shows up to play. There's a couple other players regularly there who are in the 1000 neighborhood i'd bet. It seems that most of our regular participants there understand that you could draw Nikko or some schlub like me. Pragmatic 'pros' turn it into an opportunity to do just ace runs or use the round as an excuse to try new plastic or shots. There are a couple of *******s who bitch and moan when they don't get paired with someone who will give them a shot at winning, but they're few and far between.

Guess us midwest folk are a little friendlier :)

Getting bent out of shape when throwing plastic circles out in the park? We all like to win, but if your getting your panties in a wad over anything, in leagues.....you are simply doing it WRONG.

Getting bent out of shape when throwing plastic circles out in the park? We all like to win, but if your getting your panties in a wad over anything, in leagues.....you are simply doing it WRONG.
Pretty much.

*wads his panties up and throws them at ru4por*

:p

Pretty much.

*wads his panties up and throws them at ru4por*

:p

Foot fault!

I am a 860 rated player and when I am lucky enough to play with the 950+ rated players they have been very cool to me when I miss a putt or have a bad shot.

Really throw a "curve ball" into things and suggest playing Random Draw Worst Shot Doubles!

Not something I'd wanna do more than once a year or so, but this can actually be a lot of fun.
...WITH THE RIGHT PEOPLE!

This format sucks when people take things too seriously. If you think "competitive guy" is tough to play with in best shot, try playing a round of worst shot with him.
:(

A buddy of mine, he's 57, I'm 62, once the summer season is over, we start playing this "worst Shot Double" format with whatever young team wants to join in on the "Fun"! Many of the young guns soon discover that distance isn't quite as important as keeping it on target. Needless to say, ethics are tossed out the door from the first tee and fun is to be had, usually at the other teams expense. The only rule my partner and I agree to is at the end of the round, we will still be friends, often with money in our pocket!

Speaking from experience, one downside of ams playing doubles is that it trains them to go for shots they can rarely execute. There's not as much harm trying risky shots when you have a partner to bail you out when you don't hit it. I ran a doubles league last year, and over the course of the year my own rating actually went down, even though I was putting better than ever. Over this off-season I realized it's because I was trying to throw the same hero tee shots I threw in doubles league.

Speaking from experience, one downside of ams playing doubles is that it trains them to go for shots they can rarely execute. There's not as much harm trying risky shots when you have a partner to bail you out when you don't hit it. I ran a doubles league last year, and over the course of the year my own rating actually went down, even though I was putting better than ever. Over this off-season I realized it's because I was trying to throw the same hero tee shots I threw in doubles league.

I'd argue this is only true for inexperienced/ foolhardy players.

Truth is, dubs should be played more aggressively than a solo round, specifically because one player can take a safe shot that allows the next player to go for it.

If you a player decides to play that aggressively in a solo round that's their own inability to properly assess risk/reward relative to their own ability.

Dubs can be an opportunity for players to take shots they normally shouldn't/wouldn't.