• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread! (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Bennet, ever wonder what happens to the discs you give away as prizes (for the Valentine's Day dye contest)?
OtherWorkldBUzf.jpg

it's no Calvin & Hobbs by Hurricane, but I'm still proud of it :)

AWESOME! And yes, I DO wonder! Which prize was this?

Schleppy will love this more than anyone!

Hey Bennet, ever wonder what happens to the discs you give away as prizes (for the Valentine's Day dye contest)?
OtherWorkldBUzf.jpg

it's no Calvin & Hobbs by Hurricane, but I'm still proud of it :)

Sickdisc, that's a SICK disc! :thmbup:

I'm a BIG Rush fan! Is there a story behind the cat?

Peace,
-Jeff

I'm a huge Rush fan myself, but there's no real story behind the cat. Many of my original designs start by looking at an image and saying to myself "now how can I twist this to make it a Sickdisc?" Oh, and I like cats.

Two excellent first dyes, Doc! Welcome to the addiction, fellow BH lefty!

^thanks! yeah now that I actually tried it and saw it wasn't too hard (as long as picture relatively simple) I'm constantly looking for designs/things to cut out/dye and saving the images in a earmarked folder on my computer.

I was curious to try but didn't want to wait to order iPoly online. I called my local art supply store and they had iPoly, and all the other supplies I needed (down to mason jars) figured I had no excuse.

here's my 3rd dye. It was a factory 2nd champ tern that had two deep overlapping hot stamps (so many crevices to bleed into). I used to love double stamped seconds compared to the generic small innova factory seconds stamp, but from a dyeing perspective now I'll request no double hot stamps on future orders.

17184969701_0ae87a4df8_c.jpg

Shaving Cream on white star mako

This is a tester disc for gifts that I'm making my groomsmen.

I did the black stencil first, then let it sit on the SC bed for 20 hours. The outline of the black came out blurred... Any ideas how to keep them crisp?
I didn't use acetone, just idye in water and the SC.

Very happy with it, just want to get better. :)

Attachments

• SunsetTest.jpg
    SunsetTest.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 156
^ it looks like the shaving cream pulled the black dye. You can mask the black before using shaving cream. OR, and I am not 100% convinced this works (but I do it anyway), freeze your disc overnight so the dye sets better before you use SC.

I have a question for everyone (I apologize if this has been asked before). Has anyone had issues with Champion plastic not taking dye near the edge (see picture)? And more importantly, is there a way to fix it?
OtherWorkfVUAbx.jpg

I only had this happen to me once (on a premium Legenda, attached - see purple ring). It looked very similar to your disc. Never figured out why it happened - pretty sure I cleaned the disc well...:\

Attachments

• offcenter.jpg
    offcenter.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 89
^Not sure what's going on with the dye not taking.....never had that happen but I'm really OCD about cleaning the disc before dyeing (dish soap, acetone, dish soap and then only handle be the edges....preferably with a clean paper towel or rag). My guess would be some sort of oil smear resisting the dye.
Regarding the black dye bleeding into the SC background: My experience has been that giving the stencil a day or two to 'set' at room temp before proceeding to the background treatment will result in less bleed out than if the SC/marbling is done immediately after the dip. Freezing the disc before the SC treatment will actually be more likely to result in bleeds. I base this theory on the idea that the dye, once 'in' the plastic, will naturally slowly 'migrate' from areas of higher to lower concentration resulting in blurring/fuzzy edges over time. Freezing the disc slows this process which keeps edges crisp but also keeps the dye from 'sinking' into the plastic. Given a few days to settle into the plastic means that there is less concentrated pigment at the surface which can be 'pulled' into surrounding areas. Same principal applies for remasking for multiple color dips. I have discs in my bag that I dyed just a few months ago that are getting blurry where there used to be crisp lines. I also have dyes that I did two years ago that have been kept in the freezer and they are still just as crisp as the day they were done.
Hope this helps more than it confuses. :)

This is a tester disc for gifts that I'm making my groomsmen.

I did the black stencil first, then let it sit on the SC bed for 20 hours. The outline of the black came out blurred... Any ideas how to keep them crisp?
I didn't use acetone, just idye in water and the SC.

Very happy with it, just want to get better. :)

Dig this disc, especially the colors in the sky! :thmbup:

My experience with Star plastic is that it will lose the sharpness of lines and "blur" sooner or later. I've had the best results with L64 Goldline (like the one in my avatar) for dyes like this.

I have a question for everyone (I apologize if this has been asked before). Has anyone had issues with Champion plastic not taking dye near the edge (see picture)? And more importantly, is there a way to fix it?
OtherWorkfVUAbx.jpg

I had a similar experience with a Prodigy F3 in 400 plastic. It was a simple spin dye, and only appeared within one color. It wasn't because the disc wasn't clean, and after three attempts, I decided that it was a cool enough effect and left it like that. I have no idea what caused it, and couldn't replicate it if I tried!

Peace,
-Jeff

Matallica for MatTallica on a StarLite Wraith:
17244335571_8fc2dde277.jpg

House Stark on a Pinnacle Rival for noobynoober:
17058699909_333328af13.jpg

One of my new Suspects, dipped the blue with some extra weight to dye all the way up to the bead, looks sick on the back!

16624695943_121d9c92d2.jpg

17058699189_342792b470.jpg

Geoffrey the giraffe for a friend's gf on a Star Leopard:
17218931436_26568bbb23.jpg

Bought this Star Destroyer a while back to support the Alabama disc golf team, finally got around to dyeing it and putting it in the bag.

17057125518_b00d0fa77c.jpg

17243155032_e6c785837c.jpg

Well here's my latest dye I did on my upshot Prodigy PA4. I love how it came out, but I had some major bleeding issues. This was also my first dye with Oracal 651...I've been using contact paper for my previous dyes. I didn't think the stamp was gonna be an issue as far as bleeding..it wasn't cut overly deep. I did all the little tricks I've read I.e. blow dryer, masking, thoroughly going over edges to make sure there are no bubbles. The only thing I can think is maybe I got the vinyl too hot. It does seem to get a little softer than the contact paper did when hot dipping. Live and learn and hope that the no bleed dye is in my near future!

Attachments

• IMAG3400.jpg
    IMAG3400.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 134
Status
Not open for further replies.