• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread! (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a while...

Something for my buddy to honor the memory of Meeka.
picture.php

Such a sweet dog.

My first dye, the dye ran some through the masking tape because i cut the vinyl to short, dumb me. never use masking tape again. Tho the firedancer came out real nice. Im hooked now.

Showing the effects of time on a dye, on my ESP Buzzz. Had to spice it up with the signature dye :)

9244271098_ae66bd78a7_o.jpg

@Bennett, that's why I never dye on ESP. I did a blue white and orange dye for a friend right around 2010 it looks almost completely white now. the disc in my avitar (z plastic) was done around the same time and it still looks
great

@DTP, wow those really look like brains especially that top one. something tells me you figured out a way to control the ripple because it does not look like a random pattern to me at all

@Bennett, that's why I never dye on ESP. I did a blue white and orange dye for a friend right around 2010 it looks almost completely white now. the disc in my avitar (z plastic) was done around the same time and it still looks great

I just prefer the grippiness of the plastic is all. Most of my bag is Star/ESP. I throw Flicks and Firebirds for thumbers, so those are Z/ Champ plastic respectively. Putters are Wizards, RFF, so they're the only thing in the bag not dyed.

I also haven't lost many discs -- berg asked me last week to bring down some beat-in plastic, and with all the plastic I have, the only stuff that's beat in is still in my bag :eek: (**edit** I've lost plenty of discs, just not my "main" throwers)

The Buzzz above was my first Buzzz -- has more throws in it than any disc I've ever owned. Lost it last year practicing for Worlds, was returned to me a few months ago, found about 45 miles from where I lost it.

My Star Beast is beat to perfection, never been replaced(although I did dye a replacement). Same with the Star Leopard(which isn't dyed, has 3 aces), ESP Stalker, Star Mako, GL River -- the only thing I've had to replace is the ESP LE Comet which I left in the fairway at Idlewild(Charlotte).

So while I completely agree that ESP/Star aren't the best for dyeing, they are the best for my game. I usually try to keep the image simple, knowing they're going to fade.

And I do throw a Champ Tern, cuz the Star Terns are wayyyy flippier. Why make a disc in one plastic, stamp it -2 _ 2, then stamp the same mold in another plastic as -4 _ 2?! In any case, I have one of each, but they are not the same disc imho :)

That makes sense. For me my game is ugly so I need my discs to be pretty. "Yeah that looked pretty until it smacked the tree 10 feet from the T pad"

Nature boy

Lil something for a friend. Not on the level of a lot of folks on here, but hey, you gotta start somewhere.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 94
i'm kind of torn. -____- i went on a disc losing spree; lost the samurai dye i did. it was a while ago, but still pretty damn frustrating. now i'm contemplating dying these new ones or not; you kinda get a attached to them.

discs you dye might fly better, but they get lost a lot better too. ugh...

good news is someone said they'd keep an eye for it at the course i lost it at. :) glad i hooked up with the twincities disc golf group on facebook; standup folks for sure. i gave my ffx dye to the guy who returned my GL pain the other night, so now i have no discs that are dyed anymore . . . maybe i should just do a new one.

Last edited:
I knew I saw this disc on here somewhere. Like I said, we will keep our eyes out for it on Saturday.

welp, here's one i just finished for myself, to replace the other gl striker i lost with the ff xii logo on it.

samurai champloo, an anime with a pretty sweet soundtrack.

you spoke too soon. :p

882cb461-6dbf-4f55-8828-49f0297cb38a_zpsafbc1ea6.jpg

^^ yep! that's me, thanks.

also good to know some of the people who don't dye still pop in to look at the stuff.

i s'pose i'll have to do another one soon.

in the meantime, i'd like to see how that yoda dye is turning out...

I haven't had time to dye anything in a while, but I still check in every day to see all the great work being done.

Status
Not open for further replies.