• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Games of Disc Golf

slimshadyemb

Birdie Member
I am a sucker for new ways to play my favorite game. I got bored of doing stroke play, so I put together a huge list of different ways to play. Here is what I came up with after some investigation online. LOTS of writing here, but since I can't attach a word document, here you go in several parts

INDIVIDUAL GAMES
STROKE – Each throw counts as a stroke. No mulligans. Score can be counted as a running total or relative to par (+2, -3, E)

MATCH – Lowest strokes on a hole outright wins a point. Ties on a hole do not carry over.

BAG RAID – Lowest score on a hole selects a disc from opponent's bag which opponent cannot use. Lowest score can also return a lost disc to their bag

BINGO BANGO BONGO – 1 point per hole is awarded for longest drive (BINGO), closest to pin on 2nd shot (BANGO), first to hole out (BONGO). After all players drive, player furthest from hole throws next

BAG TAG – Players each have a tag with a number. After a round of players with tags, they are reordered based on final score. Players can challenge individually in a round or other contest for possession of a tag

DISASTER – Points are awarded for disasters. These can include hitting a tree, in the water, three-putt or worse, in and out, lost disc, etc.

HATE 'EM – Before beginning the round each player selects a predetermined number of holes (usually 3 for 18 holes). Each player gets an automatic par on each selected hole

SCRATCH – Points are awarded for score. Bogey = 0, Par = 1 pt, Birdie = 2pt, and Eagle = 5. If a player records consecutive bogeys, they lose all accumulated points

SHOOT-OUT – Worst score on each hole is eliminated. Can require worst score be outright, or settle ties with a tiebreaker. Last person remaining wins

SNAKE – Use a snake or some other small object. Whenever a person does a selected "bad" action (hit a tree, get a bogey, three putts) they get the "snake". Person holding the snake after the round (or after each hole, each 9, etc.) pays a bet to other players.

SORRY, DUDE – Each player gets a predetermined number of "cancels". Player says "sorry dude" to cancel an opponent's throw

POKER – Each player must ante and draw cards (can be 1-5). Players draw an additional card for pars, 2 for birdies. Best poker hand after a set number of holes wins the ante. Players may be required to pay into the pot for events such as bogeys or three putts.

STABLEFORD – Stroke play, points awarded for score relative to par on each hole. Bogey = 1, Par = 2, Birdie = 3, Eagle = 4, Others = 0. High score wins

STRING GOLF – Each player gets a length of string of equal length. Players can spend segments of the strong to move their disc, i.e. missed putt into basket

TOMBSTONE – Players start with a set number of strokes. Once players use all their strokes, they put down their "tombstone". Player who gets the furthest toward the end of the round wins

NASSAU – One point awarded for best score on the front 9, back 9, and overall 18.

THROW EM ALL – Players must throw each disc in their bag before throwing any disc a second time. Must throw each again before throwing any for a third time

NOMINATION – Before each shot, players choose 2 discs they could throw for next shot. Opponent then chooses which of the 2 the player will throw

SAFARI – The player (or team) with the honor can choose to play the hole as usual or declare "safari" and move the tee. All players must throw from new tee. Honor can go to best score, worst score, or alternating

DISC STEAL – Players begin with an equal number of discs. Best score on a hole chooses an opponent's disc to steal. If multiple "best scores", each can select a disc to steal from an opponent

DRINK IT – Worst score on the hole must take a drink

WORST SHOT – Each player tees off. The worst shot is selected and all players finish the hole from that spot

BEST SHOT – All players tee off. The best shot is selected and all players finish the hole from that spot

DISC DRAW – Before each hole, players select a disc and put it into the middle. Players close their eyes and select a disc and random. Players use this disc for the upcoming hole.

YIKES – 2 Players share 1 disc. One player tees off, must get the disc at least 50% of the distance toward the hole. Opponent then throws and must get at least 50% closer to the hole. Player to hole out gets a point. Honor can be awarded to winner, loser, or alternate

SKINS – Winner of a hole outright earns the points for the hole. Ties carry over to the next hole. Points for holes can during the round. 1st-6th hole = 1 pt. 7th – 12th hole = 2 points. 13th-17th hole = 3 points, 18th = 5 points. Or count holes as 1 point each.

PIGGYBACK – Players tee off as usual. Players can then choose to "piggyback" and finish the hole from an opponent's drive. Players cannot be "piggybacked" twice until each player has been used once

H-O-R-S-E – Before the shot, player selects the requirements for the shot such as a Mando, Hyzer, Thumber, Roller, Putters, etc. Both players must meet the requirements for the throw. The player with honor calls the shot. If second thrower gets the shot closer to the hole, they win the honor.

BIZZARO – Each hole must be played with a different set of rules. Can use off hand, putters, thumber, switch bags, eyes closed, move tees, worst shot, must hit the pole, 360 spins, no run up, etc.

BARKIE – Players earn points for hitting trees. For each point a player has, subtract one stroke from final score

ARNIE – Stokes subtracted from final score for each hole completed without taking a shot from the fairway

RIPT – Played with RIPT Revenge card deck. Players begin the round with an equal number of cards. Player with best score on a hole scores a point. All other players draw a RIPT card. Players play cards according to the requirement for each card

3 PLAYER GAMES
NINES – A total of 9 points are awarded for each hole. Best score = 5 points, Middle score = 3 points, Worst score = 1. Points can also be awarded 4-4-1, 3-3-3, 5-2-2 based on players who tie.

DOUBLE TEAM – Player with the honor goes last. First two players tee off. Honor player then chooses one player to team up with or to go it alone. If 2-player team wins, each person gets 1 point. If the individual player wins, they get 2 points. If the honor player goes it alone and wins, they get 3 points. Honor can be awarded to best score, worst score, or alternated.

FOURSOME INDIVUDAL GAMES
ACEY DUCEY – Best score on a hole collects a point (or bet) from all players. Worst score on each hole pays a point (or bet) to all players.

BEST IN SHOW – A point is awarded to players for 1.drives in the fairway, 2.green in regulation, 3.one putt, 4.longest drive, 5.closest to pin, 6.lowest score (each person tied for low score gets a point). Final score is calculated as: Most points in a category = 1 pt, Most points in low score category = extra 1 pt, Most points between all categories = 3 pts. 10 pts total

GREENSOME – 2 Teams of 2 players tee off. Teams select the best drive and finish the hole from there. Points can be counted stroke, match, or other

GRUESOME – 2 Teams of 2 players tee off. Opposing team picks which drive the other team plays from. Points can be counted stroke, match, or other

SCOTCH DOUBLES – 2 Teams of 2 players tee off on first hole. Teams select which drive to play. Teams then alternate shots until the end of the round. Points can be counted stroke, match, or other

SWAP SHOT – 2 Teams of 2 players tee off. Teammates then trade lies with each other and throw again. Teammates can trade after each shot or only after drives. Score can be counted stroke, match, or other

WOLF – The player who is "wolf" alternates for each hole. All players tee off. The wolf can choose to play hole with a partner who teed already. Wolf can also select "lone wolf" and play hole individually. If wolf wins with a teammate, each person gets 1. If an individual wins outright, they get 2 points. If wolf goes lone wolf and wins outright, 3 points are awarded.

TEAM GAMES
BLIND DRAW – After the round is complete, draw random sets of teams. Use a team's lowest stroke score for each hole to construct the teams total scorecard

BLIND 9 – At the end of a round, draw 9 random holes. Use lowest stroke score for each team on these holes to create a team's total scorecard

BRIDGE – Team 1 bids for the number of shots they need for each player to finish the hole. Team 2 can accept the bid, bid a lower number of shots, or accept the bid and double the points. If points are doubled, bidding team can again double the points. A team must finish the hole in equal to or fewer shots than the accepted bid. If the team makes the bid they get a point. If the team cannot make the bid, opponents win the point. Team bidding for each hole can be the winners, losers, or alternate teams

CHAUFFER – Only 1 player may drive per team. All players on the team then finish from that spot. Can count score as low individual or low team score

CHINESE FIRE DRILL – All players drive. The best and worst drive for each team is selected. Best drive must finish from lie of the worst drive. Rest of the team finishes from best drive. Team score is the lone player plus the best of remaining group

IN THE BUCKET – Players play stroke play. One teammates score is used as the score for the team. Each player must be used before a player can be used again

RED ROC – Each team must have a similar disc to all other teams (i.e. red roc, esp buzz, etc.) One player per team per hole must use the designated disc, all others play normally. A teams score is the sum of the score with the disc and lowest of all other teammates.

SPLIT TOURNAMENT – First round is played. Each of the top 2 scores pairs with one of the bottom 2 scores. Next round played, best and worst scores again pair up

RONUD ROBIN – Teams of 2 play together for 6 holes then switch. Each player will be paired with each other player for 6 holes. Game/score types can also be changed when teams change

SCRAMBLE – All players tee off as usual. The best drive on each team is selected. All players on a team throw from there. Best second shot is then selected, and all players throw from there. Best shot is again selected and all teammates play from there.

FLORIDA SCRAMBLE – Same as scramble, except the player whose shot is selected CANNOT play the next shot.

WORST BALL – Like GRUESOME. Teams drive, opposing team selects the worst drive. The team must then finish from there. Can play scramble style or low team score

Wow, nice barrage of posts Slim.

Bag Raid sounds really similar to 5 disc Battle Golf, where each player starts out with 5 discs and if one player wins the hole he can take the other guy's disc and so on for each hole until one guy loses all his discs or whatnot.

Harsh dude. Good list.

I was only playin'.

Chinese Fire Drill looks pretty cool, but I wouldn't want to have more than 3 players per team, as I don't like playing in groups more than 6.

And Red Roc would have to be Red Wraith around here...

Last edited:
nice list. Next time I'm in the cities, I'll let you know. Assuming the snow ever goes away. If we get a record setting flood up here in Fargo, which isn't unlikely, I'm guessing they'll send us home. And by then it should be perfect conditions down in the cities.

very nice... probably take me a couple of seasons to play enough in appropriate sized groups to try most of these out. want to try a lot of them though.

I've got a storehouse of weird format variations. Some take awhile to describe though.

Here's a simple one I cam up with...

[insert your own format name here, because I suck at names] - Singles format played stroke as usual with this one catch. If player A is "out" from player B and attempts a putt and misses, player B has the option of forgoing his better lie and take player A's lie to attempt to make the putt that Player A missed. If player B successfully makes that putt, player A is assessed a penalty stroke.

However if player B also misses, player A is off the hook. Then the even closer player C (if there is one) can have the same option to take the worse lie, and make the putt from there to give player B a penalty stroke.

Several doubles formats not included on the list yet. See PDGA Doubles Rules: http://www.pdga.com/rules/rules-for-doubles

BEST ALTERNATING SCORE: Partners each tee off and then play from their partner's lie. After their second throws partners play from each other's lies. This switching continues until both throw sequences have holed out. The best of the two sequences is the team score. This is the most fair doubles game since every player is involved in every score on every hole other than an ace.

For SKINS, we play a version when there are 5 or 6 in a group where a skin is worth 2 points per hole if won by one player. But if exactly two players have the best score on a hole they split the accumulated skins so far. This way skins don't accumulate as long like they might if you have five or six players waiting for just one person to have the best score.

I would like to play doubles where the teams have to use their worst shot for the entire round. To avoid confusion, the other team chooses where you shoot from. It would force both teammates to make the putt to complete the hole. Sounds challenging.