• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Games of Disc Golf

I definitely lost a little focus at the end of this list. Hopefully some of you get Toby some out, I haven't even played them all. Thanks for the new ideas, I like the putting variation. Some personal favorites of mine are the game you have to use all discs, disc stealing, wolf, ript, and the disc draw

damn good list, i wanna play a few of em.
I feel like it would be good practice to stop counting strokes and playing around for ****s n giggles.

This list is EPIC. I can't wait to get out and play some of these variations. Here I was for 3 years only playing stroke play lol.

For courses with multiple sets of tees: White/Blue/Gold

Hole 1: Start on Blues. A birdie or better lets you shoot from whites next hole. A par you shoot from blues. A bogey you move to golds. Can you stay hot and stay on whites or will you get stuck on the bogey train? This works well for doubles as well.

CRAPTASTIC PLASTIC -- Friends and I used to play this a lot, and we later hosted an Ice Bowl under these conditions. Every player brings one disc -- the worst or weirdest disc they can find -- and throws it in the mix. Let's assume four players, so let's say (as a good example) you've got a beat-to-hell Optimizer, a gnashed Epic, a destroyed Blunt Gumbputt and a brand-spanking fresh proto-Speed Demon. Each player starts with one of the discs and has to complete the hole with that disc, after hole one, discs rotate, etc... It makes for some frustrating holes, and the hardest part is when the discs are so different. An Optimizer is the flippiest roller I've ever used... the proto speed demon is so overstable I've given it to big-arm pros who can't put it more than 250' on the hardest S-curve they can throw. And trying to putt with any of these is ridiculous. However, it forces you to try shots you would never have imagined, and is a lot of fun to keep from playing seriously.

With the ICE BOWL we held, I think we had 16 people show, so we drew straws to pick groups of four, and each group had to throw the four discs that group had brought. Then for the second round, we seeded people based on how they placed relative to the people in their group in the first round, so that even if one group had "better" crap-discs than another, the fact that they shot lower didn't mean they all ended up on the lead card second round. For the second round we also seeded the discs based on relative crappiness, so that the people in the top group had the four discs voted the worst of what was brought, etc... Was incredibly fun.

If you need a low-key way to play with friends, this is a favorite.

DUALING DISCS -- Works best with 2-3 people on a course that's not very busy. Every player is forced to throw and score two sets of shots on every hole. One set of shots is all forehand, the other is all backhand. Tomahawks, thumbers, turbo putts, etc, count as forehand shots. You even have to putt forehand (or turbo) for the forehand set of scores. Keep the scores separate throughout the round to see how your forehands stack up against you backhands, and then add them together for each player to determine the winner. This game forces you to throw shots you would otherwise never attempt, and to look at every hole through fresh eyes. Great way to broaden your range of shots and improve your game.

CEREAL BOWL MORNING -- last one I'll post for now (friends and I used to make up a lot of games I didn't see in the OPs list). Find something else that flies other than a disc. In this case, plastic Kellogs' branded cereal bowls for us. About 5" across and 3" deep, but sailed well 150-200'. Everybody gets a matching bowl, marked to tell them apart, and you head out to the local course. You could go oldschool and throw pie tins, or just wander through Ikea/Walmart/DollarGeneral looking for round objects with a lip and see what happens. Cereal bowls were a finesse game, because they played totally touch. One rule modification was that they were too small to stay in the basket, so holing out was arrived at by landing in OR falling through the basket. This game won't help improve your disc skills, but it is a lot of fun if you're in college and just feeling the need to run around.

Bag-Swap Doubles (or singles):

Flip for order. #1 gives their bag to #2, #2 to #3, etc. After that, you flip for teams. Play the round out with the foreign bag. We often would add a clause that you could disallow someone from using one of your discs (money Roc, etc).

It can get pretty fun, and it's comical to watch someone else try to figure out your plastic.

Aussie Rules Doubles:

Three players. Flip for order. Hole one #1 and #2 are together, #3 is solo. Hole two #2 & #3, #1 is solo, etc. Each player keeps their own score, including the score they got with partners.

Nice! These last few are fantastic, I'm definitely updating my list with these ones. T i m, would love to hear some other ones you guys came up with, I'll try any of em!

Here's one if you don't mind dealing with half-strokes. Singles play as usual with this one change. At any time, any player may opt to use an opponent's lie in place of their own. By doing so, they will incur a 1/2 stroke penalty. If a player incurs a penalty stroke, (OB, missed mandatory) etc. moving to another lie does not get them out of that penalty, so if you were to throw OB, and then wanted to move up your lie, you'd add 1.5 strokes to your score. You cannot move up to an opponent's ace.

Here's a heads up format called "football", which has nothing to do with football but uses football points for scoring.

The two players take turns being "offense" and "defense". A disc flip similar to a coin flip can determine who gets the "ball" first. You then play the hole as usual.

- If the player on offense wins the hole by one stroke, they score a "touchdown" and get six points. They then attempt the point after by hitting another putt on the same basket from a prescribed distance (which you can vary, but say 30 feet) to make it seven. The other player will then be offense on the next hole.
- If the player on defense wins the hole by one stroke, it is a loss on down. No score. Again, players reverse roles on the next hole.
- If the player on offense wins by 2+ strokes, they not only score a touchdown, but they get the ball again on the next hole.
- If the player on defense wins by 2+ strokes, they score a defensive touchdown, but will be defense again on the next hole.
- If both players tie on a hole (which will happen a lot), then the offensive player gets to attempt a "field goal", which works similar to a point after with the distance of the field goal attempt being the number of strokes they completed the hole in multiplied by a prescribed distance (which again you can vary, but say for example 10 feet) so if both players got a '3'. The offensive player would attempt a 30 foot putt for 3 points.
If a player incurs three penalty strokes during the round, regardless of whether they were on offense or defense when they occurred, their opponent will score 2 points for a "safety".
Two point conversions can be done by either nailing the point after putt twice (must hit them both), or by hitting it once from double the distance.
College overtime rules (1 offensive possession each) if there is a tie after 18 holes, using the same hole both times.
Most points wins.

A game my friends I made up, called "Captain's Crunch", kind of a mixture of Captains Choice and CTP. Hopefully the way I word it makes sense...

To start:
1. All players throw from the tee.
2. The player with the best lie is "The Captain." (There is a new captain after each throw)
3. All players throw from this lie. Repeat steps 1-3 until at least 1 player makes into a basket, giving each player the same number of throws.
4a. If only one player makes it into the basket, they win that hole, scoring a point.
4b. If multiple players, including the Captain, make it into the basket the point automatically goes to the Captain.
4c. If multiple players, not including the Captain, make it into the basket, the player who made it closer to the pin on their previous throw wins the hole.

Rules:
• The player with the most points at the end of the round wins the Captains Booty.
• Winning a hole is worth 1 point.
• Aces count as 2 points.
• The player with the most points always tees off first. The player with the second most points will tee of next, and so on.

Some strategy comes into play... For instance, if you're throwing last, with a 40 foot putt and everyone else missed it, and landed far. You can try to just slide one under the basket to "steal the hole", instead of risking a miss with a bad roll away. Assuming everyone else makes this put from 1ft away, you would win because you were the Captain, since your were closest to the pin on the last throw.

Alright, after spending some time adapting ball golf games from Ehow, I have some more....

CROSS COUNTRY – Use all original tees and baskets. However, players cannot use tee 1 and shoot to basket1. Tee 1 to basket 3. Tee 4 to basket 8. Tee 9 to basket 2 etc.

PAR OR OUT – If a player scores worse than par they are eliminated from the game, but may continue playing. The winner is the last player remaining after all others have made bogey.

DEFENDER – One player in the group is the defender for each hole. Defender rotates evenly through group. If the defender gets the lowest score on a hole, they get 3 points and all opponents lose one. If defender ties for low score, they get 1.5 points and each opponent loses .5. If defender doesn't at least tie for low score, they lose 3 points and opponents each get 1 point.

IRISH FOUR BALL – Teams of four players each compete using a stableford scoring system. For holes 1-6 the single best score on the team counts. Holes 7-11 the two best scores count. Holes 12-15 the best 3 scores count. Holes 16-18 all four players scores count.

IRISH PAR BALL – Teams of four players each use stableford scoring. For par 3 holes the two best scores for the team count. On par 4 holes use the best three scores. For par 5 or higher holes use all players scores.

PICK AN OPPONENT – One player draws a name randomly and chooses that players partner. The person selected draws a name and selects their partner and so on until all players are matched.

RACK EM UP – If a team scores a birdie they earn a mulligan for each. Teams can only us 1 mulligan per player per hole, and have only 3 at any time. Any bogey wipes out all mulligans

POWERBALL – A set number of holes for the round are powerball holes. On these holes, one player on a team can throw from the short tees, but this shot MUST be used. Players finish from there. Powerball player can alternate, or be selected by either team.

SWITCH – Teams of 2 tee off. Players switch drives and finish hole from there. Score can be counted with both players together or as best single score

RABBIT – The first player to have best score without ties earns the rabbit. If another player singly scores lowest, the rabbit is set free. Next player to score single best score on a hole wins the rabbit. Person holding rabbit at end wins the round, additional points, or the bet

POWER PLAY – Round is played from short tees with stableford scoring. Three of each 9 holes, at each player's discretion, must be played from the back tees. On a powerplay hole, stableford points are doubled for birdies. Par remains 1 point. Any player may also select to play the 9th/18th hole as powerplay. Points are again doubled for birdies, par or worse lose an additional point.

RED WHITE and BLUE – Opposite of TEE BOX TRADE. A player scoring bogey or worse tees off from short tee. A par tees off from middle tees on next hole. A birdie or better will tee off next hole from back tees. Promotes more even scoring in the group

"Catch"
Here's something I thought up. Doubles game. On every tee - you can throw a disc to your partner - if he catches it, the stroke does not count. Otherwise the throw counts where it lands just like a regular tee-off.

I think the risk/reward for this would be a lot of fun and strategic.

Juggernaut:
At the start of a round, one person is chosen as the Juggernaut.
The Juggernaut will always tee off first.
The other players will tee off in a rotation on each hole.
The other players will work together using a best disc format to take out the Juggernaut.
To take out the Juggernaut, the opposing players must beat the Juggernauts score.
The Juggernaut wins 2 point if he wins or ties the hole.
The player who makes the first shot to beat the Juggernaut wins 1 point and becomes the Juggernaut.
The player who was the Juggernaut then takes over at the back of the rotation of opposing players.
At the end of the round the person with the most points wins.

*Alt ways of playing include worst dics or free-for-all

Last edited:
A suggestion for when to play the games:

For games that even out the scoring, like the Red, white and blue game: They would be great for introducing newcomers to the sport, and help give them the sense of victory. (They still might not win, but it sure would feel better after they are use to losing by 10 or 20 strokes and only lose by a stroke or 2).

For creating new games:

a simple variation to any game is by making it a betting game. You can change most of these games by combining their unique aspects with Bridge.

Also, one on one Bridge wasn't mentioned. You mentioned it under team games, but it could also be played one on one, or with three players, and the two players who don't begin the bidding are against the one who does, and if they win they split the points.

And if you play with the same group of guys over a long period of time, you could play a long term game that is similar to a trick card game (Hearts or Spades). Betting begins every round, 10 points for every hole won that you bet on, 1 point for every extra hole won over your bet, not getting your amount of holes leads to the negative number of points for holes you bet times 10 (so you bet you'd win 6 holes and only get 5, -60 points). if holes are tied, they carry over to the next hole like skins (or you can do whatever you want with them. Skins makes it more even because every now and then someone who is good might tie someone on 5 straight holes they normally win, and then lose the 6th hole, which would kill their wager and give them some negative points).

Latest posts