• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - 2011 Edition

525' from a standstill is beast mode. And Monocracy, you just made me hungry.

Going to do a double time today.

Good: Took 2nd at the Texas High School Championships shooting the low round of the tournament and also winning the long drive contest.
Good: Matt Ryan is trying to put Disc Golf into the High Schools and did a superb job running the event with an incredible support crew from Brownfield.

Bad: Missed several in the circle putts that I should have made that ultimately cost me.
Bad: There were several really good high school players from Texas and even within 45 minutes that were missing.

Ugly: After playing 3 holes in the first round that were relatively easy to par I had to OB's and was already 5+.
Ugly: Only 23 High Schoolers showed with only two full teams competing. That is down from the 40 some last year with several teams.

Good: Been working on my form a lot, so I decided to try out my Nuke for the first time. Rocked it HARD - so I must have been working well since I can now throw high speed discs well.

Bad: I discovered that I am incapable of driving a shot on a line between trees. I need need need to figure this out because this is hurting me bad.

Ugly: I lost 2 discs to the water. Thankfully, I have many Rocs, but the Valk is gone for good. Bought the Valk at Dick's, so I can always rebuy if I care - I prefer my Avenger SS anyways. :p (Trying to make an ugly situation good)

Good: if I added / weighted everything corrrectly, my last tourney should bump my rating over 1000!!!

Bad: heard from the TD of said event that the rounds won't be counted on tomorrow's ratings update...gotta wait until next month :(

Ugly: another month of anxiously blabbing to my wife about ratings when she could give a crap :D

Good: 2 good days of golf. Won the metcenter mini on Tuesday and my tag group at circle c today with a 59. Won by 14 strokes

Bad: despite the win I shot a 66 at MetC. Goal was a 60.

Ugly: can't putt outside 25ft. I don't practice outside the circle often and it shows

Good: Putted well today (except for 3 spitouts/cut-thrus)

Bad: my actually score for todays rounds. The fact that my money orion is now my flippy orion and I refuse to accept that.

ugly: threw something like 20 thumbers today and my shoulder really really hurts now. Hope it goes away by tomorrow.

Good: Played well enough this weekend that my score would have won the open division.

Bad: I signed up for the advanced division.

Ugly: I got my butt kicked by two players in the Open Masters division. Also, my putting the second round.

Frank Delicious said:
Good: Putted well today (except for 3 spitouts/cut-thrus)

Bad: my actually score for todays rounds. The fact that my money orion is now my flippy orion and I refuse to accept that.

ugly: threw something like 20 thumbers today and my shoulder really really hurts now. Hope it goes away by tomorrow.

Good luck today little buddy.

Good - strung together pretty decent rounds at hornets nest in Charlotte NC. Avg'd 990.

Bad - got whooped by whiz! He shot lights out! Its actually not bad, he's nasty good.

Ugly - my back 9 the second round. Took a 24 on the back the first round and a 31 on the back the second round. Bah.

Good: got an invite to Deep Creek to play there.

Bad: playing two rounds with my shoulder hurting. Turns out I use a decent amount of shoulder in my putting and throwing.

Ugly: worst finish ever and I probably shouldn't have played today. probably gonna need to take a week off from DG.

Franky D. I just played 9 yesterday after taking two weeks off... felt really good on my shoulder and my drives are back. I don't know what I did but I really messed it (or my elbow... I'm not sure) up.

I had a pretty good weekend. I cashed in open at the Greater Milwaukee Open A Tier. I got tenth overall and averaged a little over 990 for the weekend. I also got to go to the brewer game Saturday night and they won so that was pretty awesome. I got to play with GG and Barsby during different rounds and a few other real good guys were there too so that was fun. I got sunburned to all hell today and it poured on us during the first half of the second round so that can be the bad. I had a lot of room for improvement, but it is awesome to know that I can shoot 990 for the weekend and know I left stuff out there. My last six rounds have been 995 992 991 1016 989 990 so shit is starting to pick up finally.

Good: Moved from rec to intermediate, and finished in the middle of the pack. Received some nice compliments during the round (paraphrasing: "Hey, you're not as bad as you used to be.")

Bad: Most drives were pretty good (for me), but the bad drives were really bad.

Ugly: Five strokes on a 250-foot hole. For the math-impaired, that's an average of 50 feet between hitting trees. Five strokes on a frigging birdie hole. Oh, and putting. Making one 60-footer does not cancel out missing four (four!) 15-footers. Dagnabbit, I'm an old fart, I need to putt well.

Overall I was encouraged, because the things that I effed up are correctable.

Good: Played my first tournament on Sunday, a PDGA C-tier. I didn't really have high expectations, but I managed to place 6th in ams (only one amateur division offered), and preliminary ratings for my two rounds are 910 and 910! Wouldn't have thought it possible I'd shoot 900+ rated golf in my first tourney.

Also good: Managed to avoid the blowup on hole #17, which is an infamous hole around here for big numbers. A guy in my first round pool took an 11 there. Another one in my second round pool took an 8. The guy who was tied for the lead in amateurs going into final round of 9 holes teed OB 3 times, and instead of re-teeing again for his 7th shot took a DNF. I took a birdie 3 both rounds and par in the final.

More good: On that #17 I cranked approximately 450' drive, flat ground, no wind. And it wasn't just a freak throw, I've been able to do it in practice too. I guess I can count myself as half-hitter now, thanks the the advice from this board :)

Bad: I still felt I left easy strokes in there. Missed some short putts, shanked some drives on easy holes. I could have competed for the lead had I just been more consistent. And I didn't really play the final as well as I'd have liked to.

Ugly: My practice rounds today. Maybe I used up all my good golf in the tournament, but my playing today was horrible. My drives were all over the place, my approaches nowhere near the pin, and my putts were hopeless. I hope I'll recover for next weekend, for we already have next C-tier then.

Good: Working on a one-finger forehand for approach shots, and I sank a 120-footer!

Bad: It was in the back yard.

Ugly: My throwing shoulder is falling apart. Even putting hurts, so I made an appointment with a physical therapist.

Got fourth at a Wisconsin Tour event today. I don't know what the ratings are going to be yet, but I think they should be above my rating again. I have only missed cash in open once this year since I moved up.

The Good- Threw my two highest rounds ever of 997, and 1013 at Flagstaffs Treebash Open this last week.

The Bad- Still took second in advanced to a killer 14 year old, but would've taken 2nd in Open. In both of my highly rated rounds I missed 2-4 easy putts.

The Ugly- Sorry Flagstaff but the payout was rough. It would've been an amazing payout if the cash value was realistic, or there was funny money to choose discs. But I got 3 discs (only one premium plastic) that I'll never throw, an Innova starter bag (I've bought these for 10$ before) a couple shirts including a non DG related polo, and a DVD and beer opener and cell phone case? Only way the payout equaled 150 was when I looked up online and saw the Polo was worth almost 60$. I'd rather have plastic. Hopefully they learn from this year and do a plastic payout in the future because they were all super nice guys and put on a great event.

Good: The summer has arrived and i field practiced/played about 8 hours in a period of 9 hours. C Eagle L flew way farther in headwind than it should and not too shabby in rear wind. I mean it is weird that i lost only a few feet with a speed 7 disc vs speed 10. ??? And the disc flew beautifully. II'm healed enough to use the modified power grip and it may have improved my smash factor. Gotta do video measurements when i'm fresh to see exit speeds. Eagle is thin winged enough to fit in my index finger middle part barely. Nuke grip is marginal with the middle and ring fingers. Scored a Westside Discs Tournament plastic 175 Sword a day before the official release.

Bad: Didn't have the space, time and health to throw it and a little heavier King that i also got.

Ugly: I wanted to throw and had enough power to throw and the only place where i could have tested these was occupied. Hurting a little and i'm gonna be stiff and probably hurting a lot more for days.

Latest posts