• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Gospel of the PD

so do you guys carry a max d driver and a slower control driver in addition to PD's? was thinking about giving them another shot but not sure I won't to add another mold. Currently throw TB's and Destroyers, which it sounds like I would still need...

so do you guys carry a max d driver and a slower control driver in addition to PD's? was thinking about giving them another shot but not sure I won't to add another mold. Currently throw TB's and Destroyers, which it sounds like I would still need...

I had a tough time figuring out what to pair with the PD. I've been a buzz thrower most of the time I've been playing disc golf. There was a really weird distance gap between the PD and the buzz. I've never liked having a gazelle/cyclone with the buzz. They just don't differentiate themselves distancewise enough for me. What I ended up doing was going back to the roc, which is a little shorter than the buzz, and adding cyclones. I think the combination works really well together to cover distances (It may change as I get a really beat PD though).

Yes, I carry a distance driver too.

I throw Destroyers and Eagles along side my PDs, but I could do it all with my PDs. The others just make certain shots a bit easier.

I carry distance drivers (depending on the course and conditions I alternate between P-ES-DD2 and ES-DD2/P-PD2 combos) but I don't carry a shorter driver (if you don't count the GM). When they come out with the FD I might consider adding it.

I have some max D Drivers in addition to my PD. I've been considering adding some sort of slower driver, and probably will once I get a bigger bag.

I've been having tryouts with the Nuke and Pro Boss for my distance drivers in addition to the PD. I also throw the Buzzz and Gazelle and sometimes the Cyclone (Gazelle and Cyclone are going for tryouts right now). I've found that my slightly beat PD has mass distance potential as I get them out near my Nukes and Pro Bosses. I see the nukes and bosses having more distance potential (for me right now) over the PD once I beat some of the LSS.

I agree with Dave on the potential overlap with FDs as they make some shots easier.

Also, Dave....you were right about the PD (/bow). I thought I'd never be able to fully throw the PD as much because of my love for the Gazelle. This thing bombs and it is more controllable than I thought at lower power. I guess I just had to give it more of a chance....in sort I'm sold on the PD true and through.

I would carry all three slots (max d, control d, fairway). I've tried to slim it down to two a couple times and my game suffered on long, technical courses. I have some Valks of a more stable flavor that I love for that slot at my altitude.

I'm heading down to lower altitudes this summer and I want to pick up some PD's and leave the Valks behind. I'd like to pick up a less stable P, a "good" P, and a "good" S...what should I be looking for in regards to stiffness, dome, PLH, etc?

MDR_3000 said:
What's the trick to finding the overstable PDs? The last few I've had were junk..Champ and Star

In S plastic the max weight stiff, white/orange, and domey are usually overstable. In champs I've yet to throw one that was really overstable other than the CFRs. I'm expecting the next run of Cs to have some stiffer/domier ones mixed in that will be more overstable like their S plastic counterparts.

MDR_3000 said:
What's the trick to finding the overstable PDs? The last few I've had were junk..Champ and Star

Just wanted to give you a tip.

Discgolfunited.com is selling the christmas stamped protos for 14 dollars. They're beefy. beefy. beefy.

I just bought a C PD last night and went to our local big course....holy $h!t am I enamored with this disc. It is different from the Ss and Ps that I've had and I like the C much more. Mine is a yellow 171 and gummy, not nearly as rigid as my AO PDs. The disc handled the headwind well enough, had some turn and it also handled the flick well. I made some great shots with last night and will see more for sure. I'm going to have to buy more of these and I'm not sure why I'm so late on PD train....this disc is so rad.

Damn impulse buying... Got myself a red 170 2x JH champystar S-PD while I was at a local sports retailer, bringing them a poster concerning our weeklies.

jubuttib said:
Damn impulse buying... Got myself a red 170 2x JH champystar S-PD while I was at a local sports retailer, bringing them a poster concerning our weeklies.

:lol:

My heart bleeds for you buying such a rad disc....you need a bro hug?

So I am going to get a chance to swing by a shop that sells PD's in a couple weeks and I had a quick question. I would like to have a PD that is beat and a fresher headwind PD. Should I just get two P's and have a primary thrower that I beat in or get a P and a C? It looks like the shop doesn't have any S's which is fine because I am not a huge fan of S plastic anyways. Also I throw TeeBirds about 370 to 380 on average.