• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2017 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

No, my point is that most Americans do not act within that definition.
I agree that we should.

Sorry my mistake. I was talking about "what it means to be American" (a definition that exists throughout time since the 1770s). You were talking about "today's Americans".

Give me a break. There's no entitlement. The company was attempting to run an organized event and sell merchandise at the park. Both require permits and the manufacturer was pleading ignorance saying they didn't know permits were required.

For the record, I do not sell at the park. I own a shop across from it. You know, doing business legitimately.

No dude, don't you get it? Running a legit business which feeds your family, provides for your local scene, and actually contributes tax dollars to your local economy which in turn gives disc golf as a whole more leverage and bargaining power with parks departments comes second to those all important hustlers.

...because, ya know, they grow the game with their star power because...people like them and buy a couple discs so they bring money to their sponsor....and stuff...

:)
No dude, don't you get it? Running a legit business which feeds your family, provides for your local scene, and actually contributes tax dollars to your local economy which in turn gives disc golf as a whole more leverage and bargaining power with parks departments comes second to those all important hustlers.

...because, ya know, they grow the game with their star power because...people like them and buy a couple discs so they bring money to their sponsor....and stuff...
:)

I don't know the specific details of what led Val to make this call, but I do know that she's not the knee-jerk type. IMO by trying to track down or sleuth out a single symptom, it unintentionally belittles her platform and larger point, because to do so you must frame it as what she wanted vs. what Innova "didn't give".

She's the torch bearer for growing the women's game, and has done more in the last 10 years than any other person or brand in that realm. If you follow her on social media, you'll see that her focus and passion clearly lies there, as opposed to growing her player brand.

I say that because if you respect her principles, heed her bigger message, that you don't need a sponsor to do that work. Don't focus on contracts, etc...focus on her message, that likely no company (in her view) is doing enough for the women's game...which extends far beyond the 4 (realistic) FPO world title contenders mind you.

Last edited:
Wut? Im making a point.

He makes a living off innova sponosored spin tv and media relations. Dude used to try and say he "wasnt an employee" as if that wasnt part of his end game lol.

Obviously one of the top women disc golfers in thr world is not as important to innova.

Happy?

Wut? Im making a point.

He makes a living off innova sponosored spin tv and media relations. Dude used to try and say he "wasnt an employee" as if that wasnt part of his end game lol.

Obviously one of the top women disc golfers in thr world is not as important to innova.

Happy?

Isn't he kind of an independent contractor though?

Plus McBeth said on here that he supports her decision as well.

Regardless he is an innova contractor. Why wouldn't McBeth support her decision lol?

It is still weird for innova. They like $ though that is clear and as a biz owner i get it. Sometimes other stuff is more important vs just a bottomline though when you're surviving well enough let alone dominating the game.

Wasn't the entire initial team part owners? It hasn't kept many of them on the team.
/QUOTE]

Yes. I believe the original 11 had some smallish (2% was the rumor) ownership. And at least one I know that left still owns their share even though they left. Nothing says you can't own shares of a company you don't work for.

After twenty pages of BW, and ten pages of VJ, I think it is safe to say that this thread has little to do with pros switching sponsors and lots to do with rightous indignation.

It is still weird for innova. They like $ though that is clear and as a biz owner i get it. Sometimes other stuff is more important vs just a bottomline though when you're surviving well enough let alone dominating the game.
at DN I was running targeted ads at women (16-30 who played tennis or softball but not disc golf) telling them they'd also be naturally good at disc golf. huge potential market with sports ladies, especially softball because it offers a team player a solo sport that can also be shared with their social circle of athletes.

boss said we've got enough of the existing market, we have to get more people playing and act as their guide into the sport so they'll buy from us in the future.

Latest posts