• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2017 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

I love 5X Valks and would never think of not throwing it because it had a woman's name on it. I would assume most people would buy the disc that has a 3x or 4x world champions signature on it rather than a blank disc.

They could Put Paul on half the Destroyers and Val on the other half and see which sells more...course that isn't Val's disc, but would be a good experiment.

But really I wish she got the Tern. I have a hard time believing her name on the Tern would slow down its popularity. The DDx might (gonna try that out this week), but not Val's name ???

Therein lies the rub, proving it. I'd start with Valks and the JK stamp. I'd also want to know if adding men's names to discs made a difference in sales up or down. This isn't going to hurt Innova, but if they acted on someone's personal belief that there'd be a difference, it should.

The big question is how much did Val help the Innova brand and does everything she accomplished as an Innova team member and promoter of disc golf not outweigh the potential loss in profits of having her name on a disc?

Considering the Starfire is not the strongest seller, I'd say her accomplishments absolutely outweigh the profits. I imagine Innova's sold a lot more Starfires recently though than they have in years.

Therein lies the rub, proving it. I'd start with Valks and the JK stamp. I'd also want to know if adding men's names to discs made a difference in sales up or down. This isn't going to hurt Innova, but if they acted on someone's personal belief that there'd be a difference, it should.

There's also two different groups of buyers: 1) serious (though casual) players that know it's about the disc, not the name on it, and will buy the disc if they want it, and 2) those newbies or weekend/family players that don't know, see a woman's name on the disc and say "ewww, not a woman's disc!".

Most here on DCGR are in the first category; we do not care about the names as much as the discs.

Questions i think i have are.

Did she tap her own brother and team member to make a point of deserving a signature disc, even though he got one after winning 1 world title?

I understand her reasons to leave... I dont think it helps her cause (not that it hurts her much) of giving 1 more year at innova with the stipulation of of she wins a 4th world's that she'll get a signature disc. To me it does not look great, if she was planning on leaving then why not leave and be independent last season? Why stay a extra year just to leave when you get what you wanted?

That pointed out.... i wish her the best of luck and hope she will be a driving force in furthering discgolf for women of today and the future.

I found a guy's JK Valk once, it was a multi-ace disc, his go to. When we met up so I could return it, he said something kind of like "I know, I know, a girl disc, but I love it." (He had not only got the aces signed, for one of them he drew a stick-figure diagram of the ace in question, which I thought was awesome.)

Not sure what that means, just thought it applied to the conversation.

I understand her reasons to leave... I dont think it helps her cause (not that it hurts her much) of giving 1 more year at innova with the stipulation of of she wins a 4th world's that she'll get a signature disc. To me it does not look great, if she was planning on leaving then why not leave and be independent last season? Why stay a extra year just to leave when you get what you wanted?

That was one of my questions. Possible answers are:

1) Val is such a classy and nice person that she gave Innova a year's notice.
2) Val did mention something about not having another bag of different discs to get used to. I would imagine that was a big factor in her thinking.

I will say this: I've had contract negotiations in the past, and then when the final contract was presented, stuff agreed upon was left out (as Val said Innova did to her). I can't speak for her contract or her actions, but when that happened to me I did not sign the contract. I brought up the omissions, they said "take it or leave it", and I left it. While Val is a super-nice person, IMHO she might've given Innova a little too much benefit of the doubt when she should've walked away years ago. JMHO, of course.

Brutal. I hope Discraft or MVP are looking at what they could do to woo her their way.

Honestly, I'd be more inclined to assume Prodigy. Not only has Cat stated that they have the same contracts for men and women, but they have release TONS of women's Signature discs. Hell, even Mandy Sharp, a relative unknown, has a signature stamped M4 with 100 run (I think) While I'm sure it was a fundraiser with that low number of a run, but, still, it's a disc with her name on it as a young, rarely recognized, 887 ranked player with as many wins last year as some locals I know. (no disrespect to Ms. Sharp, but stating that she's not a household DG name) Prodigy definitely does a ton more to recognize their players than most teams.

Honestly, I'd be more inclined to assume Prodigy. Not only has Cat stated that they have the same contracts for men and women, but they have release TONS of women's Signature discs. Hell, even Mandy Sharp, a relative unknown, has a signature stamped M4 with 100 run (I think) While I'm sure it was a fundraiser with that low number of a run, but, still, it's a disc with her name on it as a young, rarely recognized, 887 ranked player with as many wins last year as some locals I know. (no disrespect to Ms. Sharp, but stating that she's not a household DG name) Prodigy definitely does a ton more to recognize their players than most teams.

My personal feeling is that if Val signs with anyone, it'll be Discraft. She might just retire or take time off, make beer, make a baby, and/or who knows what else. She has options...

That was one of my questions. Possible answers are:

1) Val is such a classy and nice person that she gave Innova a year's notice.
2) Val did mention something about not having another bag of different discs to get used to. I would imagine that was a big factor in her thinking.

I will say this: I've had contract negotiations in the past, and then when the final contract was presented, stuff agreed upon was left out (as Val said Innova did to her). I can't speak for her contract or her actions, but when that happened to me I did not sign the contract. I brought up the omissions, they said "take it or leave it", and I left it. While Val is a super-nice person, IMHO she might've given Innova a little too much benefit of the doubt when she should've walked away years ago. JMHO, of course.

Well the question to that is... if the agreement/ or contract was signed with omissions present and she still walked.... does this make her look good or bad? Me i am indifferent on this one. She should have not stayed and moved on. As far as we can tell she most likely got what was in the agreement that she signed. And yes that is my assumption so i could very well be 100% incorrect.

Si senor. All Signature and Tour series discs give some profits to the player. However, Sig gets more of a percentage than Tour.

OK, and just to confirm, it is on a per disc sold basis? So the more popular the disc is, the more money the Champ would make?

If you think Val going to Discraft is the answer let me ask you this...How many sig discs does Elaine King (5x) have? It may be an answer, but not the solution.

Latest posts