• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2022 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

No manufacturer would ever allow this. Marketing nightmare for the ones that lose.

OR, if you are Innova and Discraft, you can implement a Coke-Pepsi rivalry and relegate MVP to RC Cola status. Even the loser wins by consolidating the market into a duopoly.

Not changing sponsors but pretty big news for FPO:

Great news! Latitude 64 and Kristin Tattar has signed a four-year-deal. This deal is worth half a million dollars, which makes Kristin Tattar one of the best paid disc golfers in the world. "And rightfully so. Latitude 64 and all the crew here are excited about this extended cooperation", says Latitude 64 CEO David Berglund.

Who wins in said hypothetical match?

Probably Discraft. Maybe Prodigy. Maybe Innova.

Great news! Latitude 64 and Kristin Tattar has signed a four-year-deal. This deal is worth half a million dollars, which makes Kristin Tattar one of the best paid disc golfers in the world. "And rightfully so. Latitude 64 and all the crew here are excited about this extended cooperation", says Latitude 64 CEO David Berglund.

Dang.

Last edited:

This is a good move for them. After her US run this year a ton of local players both male and female have started using her sig Pure a ton. The mix of performance and marketability is solid.

I could be wrong, but I can't recall a ton of male players using a disc primarily because of an FPO players success. JK valks maybe?

Zero interest in a manufacturer based team tournament and don't see what purpose it'd serve.

Yeah. How would this be any different than adding up the scores of the top four players for each manufacturer. As Drew said in the video interview, this is not a team sport. He is trying to beat everyone sponsored by his sponsor the same as the rest of the field. I care about players who are friends playing in doubles or something like that on occasion, but it has nothing to do with their sponsors. Uli and Jerm are more "teammates" than Jerm and Ricky. but they also want to whip their friends just like we all want to do the same with the friends we play against.

The competition of disc golf is exciting and i love it, but this will never be a team sport and trying to make it so is just silly.

JK Aviars were awesome way back, and now my buddy loves my old ones. The valk was solid but I think Sandstrom's name might have been a bigger influence.
I also really liked Val's starfires but I think a lot of these molds would have sold nearly as well unfortunately back then.

Nowadays FPO vids get 30k views and I'll see a dozen women on the course on busy days. 10 years ago it was a big deal to get anyone but Sarah Stanhope out to doubles.

This is a good move for them. After her US run this year a ton of local players both male and female have started using her sig Pure a ton. The mix of performance and marketability is solid.

I could be wrong, but I can't recall a ton of male players using a disc primarily because of an FPO players success. JK valks maybe?

I don't know about other males, but I watched FPO coverage when I was new to the sport to see how the discs flew for them. Not that I was executing shots like FPO players, but at least I got a general idea of disc flight at my arm speed by watching them.

Watching MPO coverage told me nothing about how different discs would fly for me, and I figured that out pretty quick.

I'd say there is room for debate. Ultimately it's about being able to shape the shot and put the disc where you want it.

Generically, more techniques = better, but if you are more dialed with fewer options it may balance out.
Exactly.

That's the same discussion as with more or less discs/molds. Some argue that more repetitions with the same discs/molds/BH is better than having a seemingly more suitable disc/mold/technique for the shot. Some see it the same. -- Eventually, I'd say, it comes down to playing the game the way that suites you best because that way you'll have the most fun and confidence and therefore success.

If Drew's grinning each time when others throw drivers and he throws his orange Buzzz, then that might make him happy and play well. Or maybe he simply likes watching smooth backhand shots more than sidearms. I don't know. It doesn't matter what it is that makes you play better -- that can be a different things for different people.
I mean - sure. If you either a) don't put in the time practicing or b) you're bad at developing practice routines. If one of those options is true of any given pro - utilizing a minimalist approach on the course is a good idea for your performance. But, given that these players are out there on tour throughout the year ostensibly focused on their disc golf careers: there is no reason to not be wholly dialed with both the backhand and the forehand option, outside of personal physical or mental limitations.

A stand alone event would likely be a logistical nightmare. A lot of companies each interested in making their brands look good... but maybe a Formula1 style Manufacturers Championship could work?

For instance, at each event you would take the top3-5 finishers from each brand and award points based on how they finished in relation to each other. Then at the season's end, a "winner" would be awarded...

There really isn't incentive for the brands themselves but maybe something we do for fan bragging rights.

I highly doubt these guys are actually making millions of dollars. A 10 year contract at $100k per year is a million dollar contract, even if the second half is unprotected and the bulk is performance spiffs.

Understand your point.

I'm just observing that it's a sport that has gone from living in a van down by the river to play versus making a living wage in second tier of players.

A stand alone event would likely be a logistical nightmare. A lot of companies each interested in making their brands look good... but maybe a Formula1 style Manufacturers Championship could work?

For instance, at each event you would take the top3-5 finishers from each brand and award points based on how they finished in relation to each other. Then at the season's end, a "winner" would be awarded...

There really isn't incentive for the brands themselves but maybe something we do for fan bragging rights.

But how does this prove anything? Say Discraft "won". Does that mean they are the best manufacturer or have the best players? I understand being a fan of players but not how their play effects how I feel about a company. I love certain players for different reasons and it has little to do with who their sponsors are. Likewise, I throw discs that are also thrown by players I don't like, but those are the best for me. I know there certainly are company "fanboys" who only want players sponsored by certain companies to win, i just don't quite understand it.

Neither do i really, I was more just making a suggestion for other people if they wanted to take it on.

Although i have a nearly all MVP/Axiom bag it's certainly not because of any pros they sponser. It's actually kind of funny how my bag turned into what it was. I had some really great(for me) discs before and kept losing them right around the time an MVP counterpart would get released.

But how does this prove anything? .... i just don't quite understand it.

so many buzzkills

we already have a bajillion events that are all essentially all the exact same format/scoring/faces etc other than location.

I for one wish we had more pro events that try something different.

Headwinds - I'd much rather throw an overstable disc into a headwind than try to execute a touch shot with a flippy disc. While Drew is orders of magnitude better than me, I think the above would hold true for basically anyone.

Yeah, that would be a good time for a forehand. And Drew does have a forehand....there's a fun practice round video with Drew, Paul Ulibarri, and Anthony Barela....the back nine is on Uli's YouTube channel and Drew throws some forehands....not many, but he does throw them when needed. I just think his disc control is so good that he rarely needs a forehand throw.

But how does this prove anything? Say Discraft "won". Does that mean they are the best manufacturer or have the best players? I understand being a fan of players but not how their play effects how I feel about a company. I love certain players for different reasons and it has little to do with who their sponsors are. Likewise, I throw discs that are also thrown by players I don't like, but those are the best for me. I know there certainly are company "fanboys" who only want players sponsored by certain companies to win, i just don't quite understand it.

I made the original comment to illustrate Drew's point that DG is not a team sport…. If there were a 'team' event, there might just be less effort put in, hoping Paul or Dickerson carry your team.

so many buzzkills

we already have a bajillion events that are all essentially all the exact same format/scoring/faces etc other than location.

I for one wish we had more pro events that try something different.

I am not opposed to different formats, just not the one i was referring to in my post. I think seeing some random draw dubs, match play, or tournament style like the pro tour championship more often would be fun. Hard to get those set up logistically though i would imagine.

Latest posts