• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2022 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Any idea who that guy is? I saw his name mentioned somewhere but didn't recognize it. At one point Nate Perkins had expressed interest in getting into that side of the business. I believe he helped negotiate Aderhold's deal?

Not saying Drew's mixed bag arrangement wasn't legitimate previously, but now that he's taken it to another level essentially I'll be curious to see if anybody else going forward explores that route. Nikko was doing his own thing for a while, but seems to have settled in fairly well with Westside.

Stephen Scansaroli (i think that is spelled correctly)- he was in charge of Prodigy's Street Team last year and is a really good guy by all accounts.

Forehand/backhand....I'm not sure having both is a huge advantage in the high-level pros. They have the ability to throw so many shot shapes, combined with different stabilities of discs, that I believe they could just throw one way or the other and do well. Don't get me wrong, it is an advantage to be able to throw both forehand/backhand....but, I'm just not sure HOW much of an advantage it is. Jeremy Koling is a forehand player, Paul Ulibarri throws both forehand/backhand. During their practice rounds, Nate Sexton and Paul have both commented/joked about Jeremy not having a backhand throw. But has he beaten Nate and Paul? Yes, not all the time...but he has beaten them.

But it would be nice to see a comparison of tournament placings for pros who are forehand only, backhand only, and both.

Headwinds - I'd much rather throw an overstable disc into a headwind than try to execute a touch shot with a flippy disc. While Drew is orders of magnitude better than me, I think the above would hold true for basically anyone.

Another data point to consider: Stokely was one of the first to have a usable (very good actually) forehand. He still teaches clinics for a living. How much, if any, did Climo ever use a FH? If the answer is little to none, then a good argument could be made that spending 100% of practice time on one of them may provide a slight edge. Or that having both is nothing more than a slight advantage, and being better in other aspects of the game is far more important.

This may be in the same boat as having 600' distance vs 550'. Maybe it helps with a stroke here or there, but even then, if it is not accurate, there is no advantage at all. McBeth doesn't have the distance Eagle or Drew or GG have, but he can put that 525' drive almost exactly where he wants it. Their max drives may go farther, but still end up farther away from the pin. If the sport keeps moving down the long-drive golf course path (hope not), then one might argue having a good forehand will be even less important.

I strongly disagree with this assessment. I think he might very well have the best long term potential of all of the young guns. He's serious about discgolf, been touring and playing for a long time, his form is immaculate and he doesn't seem to be having any problems with reoccurring injuries. Drew is solid, he's got that stocky muscled up build to him that can withstand the grind.

We shall see, but if I'm betting on any of the young under 25 crowd to win the next Worlds, I'm going with him, hands down.

I don't necessarily disagree, but...

In one of his practice round vids, he talked about how he had lost a good chunk of distance due to injuries.

A couple of events vs the whole tour - Does your supposition hold up when we look at the overall composition of the winners of all the tour events? Just because we have some recent possible outliers doesn't mean it isn't a disadvantage.

I'd say there is room for debate. Ultimately it's about being able to shape the shot and put the disc where you want it.

Generically, more techniques = better, but if you are more dialed with fewer options it may balance out.

I kinda like the idea of someone who leans heavily on backhand. my arm has been broken three times so I'm one of those.....

This was very interesting. I like Drew more for having watched it. Intelligent guy.

I think from when he first started putting out video content early Covid up until now it seems like he's matured a lot. Or maybe he's got a sarcastic sense of humor…obviously don't know him personally but his earlier stuff came across different than his more recent stuff.

Or realizing if he does things right he can actually make a legit career out of it, full spectrum like McBeth is doing.

Regardless of the reason it seems to be working for him.

The money in DG must be a lot bigger than I thought.

I highly doubt these guys are actually making millions of dollars. A 10 year contract at $100k per year is a million dollar contract, even if the second half is unprotected and the bulk is performance spiffs.

I'd say there is room for debate. Ultimately it's about being able to shape the shot and put the disc where you want it.

Generically, more techniques = better, but if you are more dialed with fewer options it may balance out.
Exactly.

That's the same discussion as with more or less discs/molds. Some argue that more repetitions with the same discs/molds/BH is better than having a seemingly more suitable disc/mold/technique for the shot. Some see it the same. -- Eventually, I'd say, it comes down to playing the game the way that suites you best because that way you'll have the most fun and confidence and therefore success.

If Drew's grinning each time when others throw drivers and he throws his orange Buzzz, then that might make him happy and play well. Or maybe he simply likes watching smooth backhand shots more than sidearms. I don't know. It doesn't matter what it is that makes you play better -- that can be a different things for different people.

I highly doubt these guys are actually making millions of dollars. A 10 year contract at $100k per year is a million dollar contract, even if the second half is unprotected and the bulk is performance spiffs.

Even 100k per year is a dang good earning though. I'm guessing the majority of us here would take that in a heartbeat. Especially to throw frisbees.

Latest posts