• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2022 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

the top brands have many players to choose from so why keep players that dont perform?

It's not always about performance or rather tournament performance. Look at Simon Lizotte. How many tournaments does he win? But, he's got a huge social media platform...as they say "lot's of eyes are on him". Paul McBeth is a 5 time champ....how much has he won lately? Are his wins really worth the huge contract? No, but his "celebrity" does have value. To a sponsor, value is in advertisement...if I put my logo on player X....how much will it be seen? If I put player Y's name on a disc, how well will it sell? It's not James Conrad's win that made the Envy become a hot seller....it's that amazing throw he made.

At this point in disc golf, our touring professionals can make a lot more coin through marketing tactics than from tournament purses. Wysocki, Sexton, Uli, and others have realized that and are now shifting their efforts accordingly.

Let's take another look at this through the lens of Paige Pierce and the Passion

;)

It's not always about performance or rather tournament performance. Look at Simon Lizotte. How many tournaments does he win? But, he's got a huge social media platform...as they say "lot's of eyes are on him". Paul McBeth is a 5 time champ....how much has he won lately? Are his wins really worth the huge contract? No, but his "celebrity" does have value. To a sponsor, value is in advertisement...if I put my logo on player X....how much will it be seen? If I put player Y's name on a disc, how well will it sell? It's not James Conrad's win that made the Envy become a hot seller....it's that amazing throw he made.

McBeth won the USDGC less than three weeks ago.

He's been less dominant this year but he is still the best.

James Conrad probably continues to throw his Envy, because he doesn't have much sentimental feelings towards his discs, despite throwing them for a long time. When he switched from Innova to MVP, he simply gave his discs, away including the green putter (Swampy, or how it was called). Others would have kept at least that one. He seems not to care -- they are just discs and some work well for him.

James Conrad probably continues to throw his Envy, because he doesn't have much sentimental feelings towards his discs, despite throwing them for a long time. When he switched from Innova to MVP, he simply gave his discs, away including the green putter (Swampy, or how it was called). Others would have kept at least that one. He seems not to care -- they are just discs and some work well for him.

That green putter is named Greenie, and he did in fact keep it. :doh:

He also didn't "simply give away" his discs. He had a clever instagram/facebook giveaway that required entry to have a chance at winning one of 3 prize packs comprised of some of his old polos, hats, and 9 discs from his old bag.

Look at McBeth for instance, he can cycle fresh plastic in and out without missing a beat. This demonstrates that his discs perform as required right off the shelf, which inspires confidence in the consumer. This no doubt boosts sales and keeps consumers buying fresh plastic, padding his pockets.

My impression of Mcbeth from watching coverage this year has been that his urge to rely on fresh plastic has cost him several strokes and resulted in some pretty loud self talk during rounds because he doesn't actually know the particular disc: when he overturns a drive, you hear him grumbling loudly "that's supposed to be an overstable disc!" and the like.

Dude's still top tier at strokes gained T2G so he's obviously not too worried but that frustration is probably not best look from a marketing perspective.

I don't necessarily think James nailing the "Holy Shot" to win World's will generate an influx of talent. James' refusal to retire that Envy, indicates that he has no confidence in any suitable backup. Not exactly a ringing endorsement. Whereas, if he put that on the mantle and transitioned well into a backup, that would inspire confidence to others that they can easily pickup a money throwing putter from MVP.

No doubt MVP sales have been tremendous, so I don't think at this time it would even be prudent to recruit more spendy free agent tour players. I believe the only way a top touring player is joining, is if MVP is offering the best package. If they are already selling near capacity, I would think they'll hold off on any splash acquisitions.

I do predict them shifting some of their players up and down on their tier system. I would promote Raven Newsom to their Premier team and demote Dollar & Castro to Pro team for performance/unlikeability.

James kept those two JKs in his bag for years. It has nothing to do not finding "suitable" backups. He likes throwing very worn in putters.

I don't know if this picture will link since it's from the facespaces but Tattar signed a 4 year half million dollar deal with Lat64:

247245297_4521427701282209_6178160090603945152_n.jpg

My impression of Mcbeth from watching coverage this year has been that his urge to rely on fresh plastic has cost him several strokes and resulted in some pretty loud self talk during rounds because he doesn't actually know the particular disc: when he overturns a drive, you hear him grumbling loudly "that's supposed to be an overstable disc!" and the like.

Dude's still top tier at strokes gained T2G so he's obviously not too worried but that frustration is probably not best look from a marketing perspective.

Paul has always thrown a mostly new or newish bag. He cycles (and loses I'm sure) discs out probably faster than almost any pro. He has always been that way, even back in the Innova days during his 4 win streak. Probably prefers that new feel on his discs and doesn't like any dings on flight plates, and plus he has a cannon for an arm and wants discs as stable as possible for consistency.

I'm pretty sure he swaps in new putters at every tournament too.

Paul has always thrown a mostly new or newish bag. He cycles (and loses I'm sure) discs out probably faster than almost any pro. He has always been that way, even back in the Innova days during his 4 win streak. Probably prefers that new feel on his discs and doesn't like any dings on flight plates, and plus he has a cannon for an arm and wants discs as stable as possible for consistency.

I'm pretty sure he swaps in new putters at every tournament too.
His mentality when building his bag has changed since 2015

mostly due to his bag being stolen I'd think
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2713261&postcount=29

Definitely remember some Zeus, Anax, and Buzzz shots in the last year not working for him. Haven't seen USDGC so can't comment on what he had in the bag/what shots he was executing to win. Doesn't look like he/Discraft put out an ITB this year.

Nice to see Kristin get a nice contract so we can see her more on tour.
Wonder if Lat64 helps her with costs for a US tour or if she have to pay that herself from her "salary" from Lat64?

Nice to see Kristin get a nice contract so we can see her more on tour.
Wonder if Lat64 helps her with costs for a US tour or if she have to pay that herself from her "salary" from Lat64?

There's a YouTube video in the Latitude64 page where she plays 9 holes with Jonathan. She answers some questions and discusses playing in the U.S. next year. Don't recall hearing anything about how it is being paid for....but she does discuss that she might take her daughter a few times. So it seems like she won't be temporary living in the U.S. but going back-and-forth instead.