• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Mecca of Disc Golf

Fountain Hills is beautiful. It's an awesome course, but it's a park course and those can be found in any state.
Only in disc golf would playing around a giant waste water aeration pond be considered a great playing experience...;)

I admit to playing very few course outside of Arizona, but I also know that in the grand disc golf scheme of things AZ courses as a whole do not rate highly. But I will reiterate that if you come to the Phoenix area Buffalo Ridge and Fountain Hills are MUST PLAY courses!!

This is where I'm going to have to finally stop biting my tongue and call out Buffalo Ridge. I believe this has to be one of the most overrated courses on this site. As of today its 3.84. Really? 3.84? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't hold a candle up to several of the courses here in Charlotte. Sugaw Creek Park (3.26), Reedy Creek Park (3.59), Kilborne (3.45), Elon Park Long (3.73).

I don't know, maybe the pictures just aren't doing the course justice. But honestly, it looks boring. This certainly isn't intended to be reflection on the course designer. It's just a simple fact that there really isn't much to work with out there. Great desert views alone are not going to justify such a high rating. If anything this course is a prime example of how ratings themselves are more times than not useless in meaning. The reviews themselves are always the best resource for seeing a courses true face.

I live in Houston (not a Mecca) and play in Austin (definitely close) and I have to say the best courses Ive played are in Charlotte and with the amount of A+ courses going in there before Worlds its just gonna get better.

Of the courses i've played there is no comparison. Highbridge Hills is the ultimate. It's well worth the trip and a unique playing experience.

I have a week trip planned for the Twin Cities next summmer with a couple of friends. Cannot wait.

My other favorites in order.
Des Moines, IA
Quad Cities, IL,IA
Kansas City, MO
St Louis, MO
Madison, WI
Peoria, IL
Milwaukee, WI
Lemon Lake, IN
Joliet, IL

Taverns!!

Taverns count. Anything with beer and a decent or unique vibe counts according to me. If it's in the backwoods I wouldn't want to have to suffer through a Friday's. Tavern, pub, beer joint, whatever you call it, it's all good.

96160 Lake Tahoe.... multiple courses with everything else you need restraunts,breweries,camping, scenery. The NT is coming to town this summer so things are looking good for Tahoe dg. We just got this course in 2 days before the snow came. 3 niles from my house. Elevation on evry single hole.http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4264
and the others close by to this new gem.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4052
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1618
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=874

Beat me to it, EP,
One of my wife's coworkers said he played a DG course in Tahoe Donner. I've never heard that before but he's not one to make stuff up. Do you know anything about that?

I'm not sure DG in Tahoe is for everone though. If you like grass fairways, high heat/humidity or mosquitos, you wouldn't like it here. We don't have those things.

This is where I'm going to have to finally stop biting my tongue and call out Buffalo Ridge. I believe this has to be one of the most overrated courses on this site. As of today its 3.84. Really? 3.84? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't hold a candle up to several of the courses here in Charlotte. Sugaw Creek Park (3.26), Reedy Creek Park (3.59), Kilborne (3.45), Elon Park Long (3.73).

I don't know, maybe the pictures just aren't doing the course justice. But honestly, it looks boring. This certainly isn't intended to be reflection on the course designer. It's just a simple fact that there really isn't much to work with out there. Great desert views alone are not going to justify such a high rating. If anything this course is a prime example of how ratings themselves are more times than not useless in meaning. The reviews themselves are always the best resource for seeing a courses true face.
The pictures do not do the course justice at all. They in no way show the sharp elevation changes which help define the course. But it's obvious that you are not interested in anything except a tree course. If the desert doesn't interest you--stay home.

Only in disc golf would playing around a giant waste water aeration pond be considered a great playing experience...;)
I said beautiful, not odor free. :D
I still prefer the Ridge. I live in Arizona, I want desert, not park.

The pictures do not do the course justice at all. They in no way show the sharp elevation changes which help define the course. But it's obvious that you are not interested in anything except a tree course. If the desert doesn't interest you--stay home.

Looks like I hit a nerve. :p

I was born and raised in New Mexico. With that said I have an appreciation for the desert. But when it comes to disc golf, a wipe open huck and chuck course is boring. Plain and simple. The elevation that you seem to hype this up to doesn't look all that dramatic either. The review by Martin Dewgarita is actually one of the few reviews that offers a perspective without that special home boy slant. It's a review that I can say holds merit as he's seen courses all over the country. I'm not going to hold your bias against you. If all you've ever experienced is wide open desert courses that you could throw blind folded without worry of hitting something then you can't possibly know what you're missing when playing a course that actually has a tree or two in the fairway.

I like trees. They can make you shape lines. Wide open courses don't demand line shaping. Call it a preference thing.

I don't want to call y'all idiots, or retards, or morons, but I get that impression based on the nominations in this thread. How can NONE of you even mention Augusta, GA? The INTERNATIONAL DISC GOLF CENTER. Let's go down the list: Steady Ed(the father of disc golf) Headrick, Jim Warner, WR Jackson,
the Hippodrome, Pinevalley Hogback, Pendleton King, Lake Olmstead, Riverview, Patriots, and Crestwood.
How is this not considered as the "Mecca" and "Medina" of Disc Golf? Also, there are great restaurants, bars, hotels, and campgrounds all around the area. So go ahead and flame on, but these are some of the best courses in the world, and are all near each other for a reason. It's the Promised Land for Disc Golf.

Looks like I hit a nerve. :p

I was born and raised in New Mexico. With that said I have an appreciation for the desert. But when it comes to disc golf, a wipe open huck and chuck course is boring. Plain and simple. The elevation that you seem to hype this up to doesn't look all that dramatic either. The review by Martin Dewgarita is actually one of the few reviews that offers a perspective without that special home boy slant. It's a review that I can say holds merit as he's seen courses all over the country. I'm not going to hold your bias against you. If all you've ever experienced is wide open desert courses that you could throw blind folded without worry of hitting something then you can't possibly know what you're missing when playing a course that actually has a tree or two in the fairway.

I like trees. They can make you shape lines. Wide open courses don't demand line shaping. Call it a preference thing.

Yeah, you hit a nerve. I've put blood, sweat tears, and cash in the Ridge over the years. It's a part of who I am. That being said, though, I've played numerous tree courses (Flagstaff anyone? Show Low?). Once again they are cool, but you can find a tree course IN ANY STATE... desert courses are much harder to come by, and the Ridge is a stand out desert course.

Last edited:
Yeah, you hit a nerve. I've put blood, sweat tears, and cash in the Ridge over the years. It's a part of who I am. That being said, though, I've played numerous tree courses (Flagstaff anyone? Show Low?). Once again they are cool, but you can find a tree course IN ANY STATE... desert courses are much harder to come by, and the Ridge is a stand out desert course.

That's cool. Nobody likes to be told their baby is ugly.

Stand out desert course... that would be Diamond X.

That's cool. Nobody likes to be told their baby is ugly.

Stand out desert course... that would be Diamond X.
That course looks kick ass--but it's not a desert course. No desert in Montana--that's a mountain course (the big clue is no saguaro cactus, no cholla, no barrel cactus,no palo verde trees). Does look like fun, though.

That would be like me saying you're not in the desert because it doesn't look like the Sahara Desert. :) Deserts come in all varieties.

Billings, Montana has an average annual precipitation of 15". Not exactly tropical. Go to Big Bend in Texas and tell me that's not a desert. There's not a single saguaro cactus in site.

I guess I should stick strictly to the text book definition of a desert.

Last edited:
That would be like me saying you're not in the desert because it doesn't look like the Sahara Desert. :) Deserts come in all varieties.

Billings, Montana has an average annual precipitation of 15". Not exactly tropical. Go to Big Bend in Texas and tell me that's not a desert. There's not a single saguaro cactus in site.
All of W. Texas is indeed desert (spent more time there than I care to admit.)
Montana, though--mountain. Still looks awesome!!!

Well, whatever.
Back to the topic....
Phoenix is most assuredly NOT a DG Mecca, but if you happen to come to AZ bring your bag because there are some cool courses here. Just remember, though, unlike back East, you can drive for endless hours in AZ and still be in AZ. Kind of discouraging sometimes. :wall:

All of W. Texas is indeed desert (spent more time there than I care to admit.)
Montana, though--mountain. Still looks awesome!!!

You're thinking of Western Montana. Eastern Montana is pretty darn flat, and very dry. I'm about 8 hours from Diamond X, and plan on making a trip that way this summer. It looks rugged, punishing, and unique. Any course where you might have to risk certain death to retrieve a lost disc is alright by me. :D