• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Mecca of Disc Golf

Hmmm... I don't think this:
In no way could you call Phoenix a disc golf Mecca, but there are 11 courses within a 45 minute drive of downtown Phoenix:
or this:
While it's true that most of the course are "meh", Fountain hills is considered a world class course, and Buffalo Ridge is the quintessential Desert Course.
We got some good discing here!!!

Would deserve this:
Well I see this thread is going to be another episode of "My home courses are the best in the world. Disc golf sucks everywhere else despite the fact that I haven't been to too many anywhere elses. I'll just out of context some data to make my home area look like a DG Shangri-la, despite the fact that its pretty vanilla. I rule."
So I'm going to assume (yeah, yeah I know about assumptions) you were talking about some other posts. I do indeed love disc golfing in Phoenix, but aside from the courses I mentioned above, I do realize there's not much special around here--but there is a lot!!

It's Ohio dude. Nobody WANTS to go there. It's like Michigan, or maybe even Iraq. We don't care how many good courses you have.

I'd walk to CA, TX, TN, OR, WA or even MA before I pay to go to Ohio.

Sorry, but I grew up in Syracuse and lived in Jersey. I know SUCKS!

Why you hating on michigan? There are a lot of good places to play here.

Austin, TX has the most "quality" courses, with Twin Cities, MN coming in at a close second.
Twin Cities edges out Austin in total courses however, making it a draw.
Interesting that these two locations are homes of the two guys who have designed/co-designed/helped improve the most courses in the world (that we know of) in the past 20 years at over 100 each.

So I'm going to assume (yeah, yeah I know about assumptions) you were talking about some other posts.
If you weren't intending to be braggadocious, no vitriol intended.

I was more thinking about how every thread regarding this subject turns into a homey pissing contest. Might as well ask "where do you live and what are the courses like there?" and spare the eventual acrimony that is likely to follow.

And my apologies for the cranky tone, but I'm getting tired of people thinking that DGCR, while a wonderful website and fantastic resource, is gospel when it comes to ratings. It's not. for the sheer fact that the overwhelming majority of folks here have little experience outside their home area...

17500 accounts at DGCR.
Less than 5000 with 10+ courses played.
Only about 2500 with 20+ courses played.
At 30+ courses it drops to around 1500.

Better than 90% of the people here haven't even reached the 1% mark of courses in the U.S. alone, therefore I can't put much stock in them stating what a quality course is no matter how pretty a review they write. (And let's face it, some of them aren't pretty).

So if I can take some floss to the plaque of group think that permeates here occasionally and provide a counterpoint that can convince even one person not to drink the kool aid, well, I feel I've made the DGCR world a better place.

Are you guys saying that if you can't travel, you can't think? I know you're not saying that, but I can't think of what else you are saying.

I was more thinking about how every thread regarding this subject turns into a homey pissing contest. Might as well ask "where do you live and what are the courses like there?" and spare the eventual acrimony that is likely to follow.

And my apologies for the cranky tone, but I'm getting tired of people thinking that DGCR, while a wonderful website and fantastic resource, is gospel when it comes to ratings. It's not. for the sheer fact that the overwhelming majority of folks here have little experience outside their home area...

17500 accounts at DGCR.

Better than 90% of the people here haven't even reached the 1% mark of courses in the U.S. alone, therefore I can't put much stock in them stating what a quality course is no matter how pretty a review they write. (And let's face it, some of them aren't pretty).

So if I can take some floss to the plaque of group think that permeates here occasionally and provide a counterpoint that can convince even one person not to drink the kool aid, well, I feel I've made the DGCR world a better place.

I admit to playing very few course outside of Arizona, but I also know that in the grand disc golf scheme of things AZ courses as a whole do not rate highly. But I will reiterate that if you come to the Phoenix area Buffalo Ridge and Fountain Hills are MUST PLAY courses!!

I hate this. I live about 2 hours from Highbridge, WI 8 months of the year. Unfortunately, those are the 8 months that we are covered in snow! Definitely one of my dream places to play. I want to go up there for a weekend and get as many rounds in on those courses as possible.

Interesting that these two locations are homes of the two guys who have designed/co-designed/helped improve the most courses in the world (that we know of) in the past 20 years at over 100 each.

Probably one of those spurious statistical correlation things.

I admit to playing very few course outside of Arizona, but I also know that in the grand disc golf scheme of things AZ courses as a whole do not rate highly. But I will reiterate that if you come to the Phoenix area Buffalo Ridge and Fountain Hills are MUST PLAY courses!!

Desert disc golf is awesome! It may not be pretty. It may draw blood. It's like no other experience. Bring lots of water.

Buffalo Ridge looks like it would be more fun.

Right now... it's 68 degrees, a 9 mph wind, not a cloud in the sky and I'm going to Harry Myers in Rockwall, TX to play some disc golf. DFW might not be the Mecca of Disc Golf all the time, but it is today!

There is no place in the world that can offer the amount or quality courses on site that Highbridge has. I don't know the history of Mecca, or what the intention of comparison is for this thread, but I'm guessing it's the best single place for disc golf. If that's the case, then how many places can you travel to that offer more holes than you can play in a day on site? I agree with what Scarp said, and am obviously biased living in Wisconsin, but Highbridge is a very unique disc golf property. Please come visit.

17500 accounts at DGCR.

I guess since I have played at over 30+ courses (a measuring stick you provided in your rant) that puts me in the upper percentile of qualified 'assessors'. Therefore based upon a 4 disc scale, I hereby give you a 4 out of 4 discs on the grumpy, whiny, pissy, and downer categories. Lighten up bro, people are just talking and trying to share their opinions and they don't need grandpa Jones trying to bring the room down. :D

Desert disc golf is awesome! It may not be pretty. It may draw blood. It's like no other experience. Bring lots of water.

Buffalo Ridge looks like it would be more fun.
Fountain Hills is beautiful. It's an awesome course, but it's a park course and those can be found in any state. Buffalo Ridge, while not the most technical or difficult course, is a singular experience that you cannot get at any other course. It's so damn fun.