• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Mecca of Disc Golf

Actually, the DG mecca is being at Winny Gold during the 2010 USDGC, on day 4, following the lead card with a beer in my hand and a smile on my face all the while being only a few feet from Nikko as he hands the lead back to Schusterick after going OB twice on hole 14 and gives up his shot at a repeat at Winthrop.

I'm going to take a different approach and try to compare this to ball golf.

Charlotte is to disc golf as Myrtle Beach is to ball golf: Lots of quantity and quality. A true destination for those addicted to the game.

Highbridge is comparable to Bandon Dunes. A fantastic one-stop destination that's not easily accessible to most.

IDGC and Augusta National are practically right next door to each other, so they deserve a special mention.

In ball golf, St. Andrews in Mecca. Certainly not the hardest course, and not very many awesome courses around it, but it was where the game started and as such a trip there is considered a pilgrimage.

So, to honor the history of our game, should Oak Grove in Pasadena be considered Mecca? If I'm ever in that area I would go out of my way to play there just to say I did.

On another front, why in the heck is Charlotte naming one of their new courses Idlewild??? Have we run out of names?

Its the name of the park. We just name our courses after the park that they are in. Hopefully we will get some of those people that just log in to give Idlewild 5's without playing it to accidently rate the one in Charlotte. :)

Actually, the DG mecca is being at Winny Gold during the 2010 USDGC, on day 4, following the lead card with a beer in my hand and a smile on my face all the while being only a few feet from Nikko as he hands the lead back to Schusterick after going OB twice on hole 14 and gives up his shot at a repeat at Winthrop.

Yes, that was some kind of wonderful, wasn't it?

drove from midTN to play this gem of a course... played in 3 inches of snow but didn't mind it a bit, my only qualm was that I am sure it is much more scenic without all the snow on the ground, majestic either way!

Rochester, NY. 8 course within 30 miles and if you look at it on google maps it makes a smiley face with their locations.

I wouldn't call this "The Mecha of Disc Golf", perhaps just a fun fact. Most of the courses here are quality though.

drove from midTN to play this gem of a course... played in 3 inches of snow but didn't mind it a bit, my only qualm was that I am sure it is much more scenic without all the snow on the ground, majestic either way!

I think you're confusing Dave242's post with Idlewild in Kentucky. The sat image he provided is for Idlewild Park in Charlotte.

If you had driven from Tennessee to play Idelwild in Charlotte, that would be a huge disappointment. It's still being put in. There aren't even baskets out there yet. :)

is Charlotte naming one of their new courses Idlewild??? Have we run out of names?

Interesting question. Having played Freddies jewel at Idlewild I have thought about how confusing this can be when courses have the same names. Perhaps we (Charlotte Disc Golf Club) can name this course something other than the name of the park where it will reside.

We will give this some thought.

I think you're confusing Dave242's post with Idlewild in Kentucky. The sat image he provided is for Idlewild Park in Charlotte.

If you had driven from Tennessee to play Idelwild in Charlotte, that would be a huge disappointment. It's still being put in. There aren't even baskets out there yet. :)

ahhhhh, thanks for clearing that up!

Oh no, Stan is trolling now!! Shouldnt he be out designing and building courses?