• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Mecca of Disc Golf

As a guy who lives in the Chicago area I am totally unqualified to speak on this topic. We have a ton of courses, but you can count the worthwhile ones on one hand. But anyway...

Of the road trips that I have taken, the best area that I have found is the Quad Cities (IA and IL). Tons of elevation change in this very hilly area near the Mississippi river.

I also like the courses around the Bay Area. The combination of Stafford Lake, DeLaveaga and Golden Gate park is pretty ridiculous.

I also like the courses around the Bay Area. The combination of Stafford Lake, DeLaveaga and Golden Gate park is pretty ridiculous.

I have not played Stafford which looks really great and the other 2 are top shelf, but there is 110 miles between them. It is hard to call that a DG area IMO. I mean, do you consider Milwaukee to be in the Chicago area? They have good some good courses there.

As soon as these 3 are finished we will get permission for Wingate and W.R. Davie as well. Fisher Farms (Davidson) is just brush hogging. If we can get that approved we could open 4 courses in April. 2 more by Fall.

What now Austin, TX!

There are actually a few adequate downhill areas for good touch shots but in areas like Renny #5 or Reedy #13/14 Stout, but uphill powershots are more the style and choice of use on that terrain.

Oh.....I just realized that I forgot that Rankin has one of those fun downhill touch shots - hole 12.

Everybody forgets us G-Town folks. Our new course is gonna have a couple of those fun downhill touch shots. We're doing the (hopefully) final walk through tomorrow with parks dept. That's however many courses being built in Charlotte +1.

Augusta, GA area has 8 courses that are rated 3.5 or higher. Three are all at the PDGA headquarters at Clarks Hill lake (all rated 4), and the Hippodrome courses, which may not both be playable at the same time, are across the highway from my neighborhood (both rated 4.5). I think the ratings for the lake courses are justified, but I'd say the ratings for The Hip are too high. There are other courses nearby that won't cost you greens fees. We also have Patriots Park, Lake Olmstead, and Riverview (3.5, 3.5, and 4), all great parks. There is also Pendelton King Park, which is underrated at 2.5 in my opinion.

Other cities may have more options and a better scene, but Augusta has consistently solid, well kept courses. All without the traffic of Atlanta or Charlotte. The climate here allows for disc golf most of the time.

Overall, not to shabby. Keeps me busy.

I have not played Stafford which looks really great and the other 2 are top shelf, but there is 110 miles between them. It is hard to call that a DG area IMO. I mean, do you consider Milwaukee to be in the Chicago area? They have good some good courses there.

I kinda' like that standard. I'm within 110 miles of both Augusta & Charlotte, so adopting it turns my disc golf wasteland into a Disc Golf Mecha! Maybe even a Mecca!

Well I see this thread is going to be another episode of "My home courses are the best in the world. Disc golf sucks everywhere else despite the fact that I haven't been to too many anywhere elses. I'll just out of context some data to make my home area look like a DG Shangri-la, despite the fact that its pretty vanilla. I rule."

I recommend you save this little jewel where you can easily reach it. You're going to want to use it again.....and again.....and again.....

Someone come visit me. We only have three courses worth your time... but they are seriously worth your time.

Nope. That's quite alright. I like being here in my upiddy, snooty little corner of DG Shangri-la, looking down my nose at everyone else all the while throwing 450 foot drives and banging every putt within' 40 feet because that's the kind of players our courses churn out every year.:|:p

i don't live there, but charlotte is the mecca of disc golf. renny gold, winthrop, charlotte's web, nevin, and 30 other courses with more being built everyday. 2012 worlds.

i don't live there, but charlotte is the mecca of disc golf. renny gold, winthrop, charlotte's web, nevin, and 30 other courses with more being built everyday. 2012 worlds.

Sprinkle some knowledge on these suckas, Coolhand.... They better act like they know...

oh and i forgot about brackett's bluff. 2nd best private course i've played next to flyboy aviation. my friends and i take a road trip to charlotte every year. 4 1/2 hrs down the road from east tn. if you doubt charlotte, take a trip there. but know that you will need to be there for at least a week to play all the courses that you will need to play. renny gold has every type of shot you can think of with the exception of water. even the shorter, older courses are far superior to most courses i've played. the fact that charlotte does have the perfect terrain for dg is exactly what makes it the best place to play. i feel sorry for all you guys that have to play flat courses all the time, regardless of how good the courses may be.

My Boss: Where are you going on your vacation?
Me: I am taking a road trip to Cincinnati!
My Boss: :|

Cincy and Northern KY have a great collection of courses. Quality and Quantity, they have the full range. Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge to a 9 hole courses with 8 foot rings of asphalt under the basket that rip the crap out of your discs.

I totally agree with Charlotte being the Mecca of Disc Golf though and I cannot wait for worlds next year. Charlotte will see the Disc Golf version of the Haj next year with everyone coming from all over the world to see what they have going on.

I just hope I can make my dream of the flymart being big enough to be held in the Charlotte Convention center come true...no seriously.

My (admittedly biased) opinion of meccas based on where I've been:
I won't vote for my hometown (Ann Arbor) though because a true "mecca" must have a journey involved.

1. Ludington, MI
2. Bowling Green, KY
4. The Grange / Spotsylvania
5. Clearwater
6. Charlotte / Rock Hill
7. Philadelphia
8. Rochester
9. Pittsburgh

(Haven't been, but I 'just know')
Austin
Monterey Bay area
Portland

Last edited:
Been to Delaware, Mass, Cinncitucky, Good Charlotte, The Roc, Wes Virginny, Pitt, and live in Eastern PA........I don't think you guys will like my personal opinion but I was delighted with all of those options.

I'm going to take a different approach and try to compare this to ball golf.

Charlotte is to disc golf as Myrtle Beach is to ball golf: Lots of quantity and quality. A true destination for those addicted to the game.

Highbridge is comparable to Bandon Dunes. A fantastic one-stop destination that's not easily accessible to most.

IDGC and Augusta National are practically right next door to each other, so they deserve a special mention.

In ball golf, St. Andrews in Mecca. Certainly not the hardest course, and not very many awesome courses around it, but it was where the game started and as such a trip there is considered a pilgrimage.

So, to honor the history of our game, should Oak Grove in Pasadena be considered Mecca? If I'm ever in that area I would go out of my way to play there just to say I did.

On another front, why in the heck is Charlotte naming one of their new courses Idlewild??? Have we run out of names?