• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The most uncool, but still decent, 5-disc bag

The ultimate in uncool is something that was released in the last few years and sat on the shelf collecting dust for long enough to go into a clearance bin.

Rocs are cool to answer that question - KC Aviar, Roc, Teebird... all super cool because they have that "no nonsense" aura surrounding the grizzled, headstrong vets who stubbornly, intentionally cycle base plastic.

Boutique discs from Legacy, Millenium, Hyzerbomb are all pretty cool. DGA pretty uncool for whatever reason - could be the circa 2005 marketing.

WAIT WAIT I HAVE IT - the most painful, cringeworthy uncool disc of all:
discraft_buzzz__supercolor_disco2.png
I was tempted to go with the DiscGolfStuff Maximizer or the Little Flyer Optimizer... but they weren't useful enough.

I think you have provided the most uncool but still useful disc of all though. :)

Groove takes the cake for "uncool."
As for a functional 5 -
Dart
Comet
Leopard
Beast
Champion Groove for utility, thumbers, tree hits, and general disregard for coolness.

Franklin RT Night Owl - putter, the one I threw was decent enough, straight and stable
Quest AT Rock-It, approach putter/mid - you have to have a Quest AT in the bag(or two.)
Latitude 64 Medius, mid when you hear it hit a tree you will understand.
Quest AT T-Bone, fairway driver, heavy in SRP or the other premium plastic
Innova Groove, distance driver, ideally stable without a ton of face

Any 5 discs from Yikun.

I was writing out their names lol but basically this.

Hammer
Yao
View
Jun
Dae

Is a pretty decent bag. I could cover most lines with it, but is it cool? Nah brah.

Groove takes the cake for "uncool."
As for a functional 5 -
Dart
Comet
Leopard
Beast
Champion Groove for utility, thumbers, tree hits, and general disregard for coolness.

I once putted with Darts. Man that's a great disc. I just can't get dig it's shoulder shape anymore. And I had a GStar Leopard I used as an understable utility disc. It was amazing. Hate that I lost it.

Your list made me think of the Mako. It's been replaced by the "3" version and, more or less, also by the MD. The Comet has some degree of "nerdness" to it given how it's like the preferred understable hippie disc. The Mako, on the other hand, is just like the "square" person disc: boring, neutral, perfectly good for lots of shots but not really super great at anything. Too understable to be beat into much, not overstable enough to fade past straight. Man, what a totally uninspiring disc, yet many of us could play amply with it on many courses.

Magic or Spin for putter unless the Magnet is more uncool

176g Vertex, because that is exactly the right weight to make it awesome.

Mid #2 the Element though honestly I feel like my Tangent is mighty uncool. If I played Tangent I'd go 176 and drop my Vertex to the 174 I've got.

Switch, a driver only me and one other guy like, discontinued for a reason.

I'm having trouble thinking of another driver.. Is the Bolt uncool? I'd throw that or a Nuke SS, could do a Crush (orange in esp). I suppose really Groove is the correct answer.

Wave
Volt
Crave
Pyro
Wizard, or Envy to make it full MVP/Axiom

Geez that's my bag, minus the Pyro haha. I do not feel like the Envy, Volt or Wave are uncool but there's a ton of people that look at me funny with my all gyro bag (+ a Comet).

The problem with an "uncool" bag is that somebody out there will inevitably consider each of those discs cool. I keep trying to think of a good uncool bag, but I keep putting in discs that someone will love.

Polecat? Ultrastar? Comet? Someone will think I'm cool for bagging any one of those. Relay? Meteor? Pipeline? Tsunami? Hornet? They're solid discs, maybe less popular but certainly good discs.

Now the only true "uncool" discs I can think of are ones that no one would want to bag. The Groove is close, but I suspect we've all thrown a decent Groove at some point. Maybe the Epic? Wolf? Those Franklin drivers? Hmmm no thank you. Uncool? I guess. Still decent? No.

But here's an "uncool" bag made of discs I've had in my bag at some point or still bag:

DX Polecat
Glo Z Meteor
Z Cyclone
SP Tsunami
Z Nuke SS (heavy)

Wave
Volt
Crave
Pyro
Wizard, or Envy to make it full MVP/Axiom

What do you think the least cool MVP molded disc is? One of the single molds, or maybe one of the OOP mids?

I seriously love the Vertex, but bagging a slow, understable OOP mid I must admit makes me so uncool I may have looped back around into being cool again. :|

I mean, the Vertex is not only an understable mid, which is pretty uncool already, but if you've ever looked at one it's like a slower, less streamlined Theory or whatever was that well-liked option from Axiom. Really, it's like they took a Spin and smooshed a mid out of it.

What do you think the least cool MVP molded disc is? One of the single molds, or maybe one of the OOP mids?

I seriously love the Vertex, but bagging a slow, understable OOP mid I must admit makes me so uncool I may have looped back around into being cool again. :|

I mean, the Vertex is not only an understable mid, which is pretty uncool already, but if you've ever looked at one it's like a slower, less streamlined Theory or whatever was that well-liked option from Axiom. Really, it's like they took a Spin and smooshed a mid out of it.

all their mids

Putter: Warlock
Mid: R-Pro Cro
Mid: Mortar
Driver: Viking
Driver: Groove

Well I use an R Pro Cro every round, it is fantastic.
And I have several Vikings that I'll throw pretty regularly.

I have used a Coyote, Stratus and R Pro Polecat in conjunction with the above on many rounds.

SOMETIMES, I'll play with a UB Procul. Way uncool.

Latest posts