• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

very good thread

i thought id grab this thread up from the deeps - i have a question for yall Roc-ers

anybody throw the star rocs? my DX have been beating in, and I'm working on two of em, and I want a stable mid to compliment them... star gonna be a good choice?

This is a great read! I suggests that it be sticky'd for all of the new guys to read and for us that forget the variations.

I read this earlier and figured I'd bump it do to the first couple pages. Pretty good read on the history of the roc.
I have a roc that says millennium golf discs on it but is a rancho roc. Is millenium a part of innova somehow? Sorry if it's a noob question just curious.

I read this earlier and figured I'd bump it do to the first couple pages. Pretty good read on the history of the roc.
I have a roc that says millennium golf discs on it but is a rancho roc. Is millenium a part of innova somehow? Sorry if it's a noob question just curious.

I think millennium is essentially the Canadian branch of Innova, similar to how Discmania was supposed to be Innova's European branch. However you can readily buy all 3 brands at most online retailers and larger local stores.

I purchased a dx roc last Monday and it quickly became my primary midrange. I love it!

I think millennium is essentially the Canadian branch of Innova, similar to how Discmania was supposed to be Innova's European branch. However you can readily buy all 3 brands at most online retailers and larger local stores.

I do not think this is correct. I hope some actual expert in disc history will correct me it I am wrong, but I think Millenium was an effort by John Houk to introduce golf discs in premium plastics. Innova molded the discs, and was almost certainly involved in the design of Millenium discs, but I don't remember any sort of Canadian angle.

Read a bit where someone said the 9x rocs are understable?! I disagree, the 9x i have is the most hss roc ive ever thrown, it wont turn ever, only slightly in a headwind. Its the only roc ive hit ~350 on a dead straight line with no wavering off its line.

Read a bit where someone said the 9x rocs are understable?! I disagree, the 9x i have is the most hss roc ive ever thrown, it wont turn ever, only slightly in a headwind. Its the only roc ive hit ~350 on a dead straight line with no wavering off its line.
There is a lot of gross overgeneralization that goes on with golf discs.

I've gone on a tirade a time or two on this site because the Ontario Roc gets dismissed as a flip disc. It's not a flip disc, it's a slightly overstable mid out of the box. It's not AS overstable as a Rancho, not as dependable into the wind and beats into an understable disc more quickly than other Rocs, but it's by no means a flip disc out of the box. If you flip it out of the box, your form sucks. Sorry.

The 9X has the same sort of problem in that the 8X were beefy and the 10X were beefy. The 9X had some meat, but just were not as beefy as the 8X and 10X. They pretty quickly became the red-headed step child of the KC Pro Roc family. I'd throw a 9X any day, and I'd throw one way before some of these 11X I see people paying a lot of money for. The 9X were good Rocs. Not great Rocs, but good Rocs.

good explanation three putt. I've never had an Ontario mold roc and always kinda wondered what they were about.

Interesting that you say that, I mean it's an opinion but my 9x is my favorite roc, I have yet to try a 8x or 10x though.

Is there any benefit to throwing one any lighter? I saw that Discgolfcenter has a few in the 140s and six of them at 110 (!).
Any lighter than what I said? It depends, but for disc golf for people throwing over 300' but less than 400' you probably won't see a benefit. They might be a bit longer but won't fight the wind as well and won't be as easy to control. Going heavier will just make them a bit shorter with minimal wind fighting benefit.

This thread makes me want to buy a dx and kc pro roc and give then a try. I'm a believer in buzzzes, but maybe its time to try something else.

Thread resurrection!

I went through this thread when I first started throwing Rocs and it was very helpful to learn the mythology/history of the disc. With the advent of the Roc3 perhaps we need to add this piece to the history.

Obviously this has been covered in other threads but this is a comprehensive history, so anyone with knowledge of this disc should chime in.

Why is it called Roc 3? what makes it different? etc.

Well..I would assume it's called the Roc3 because they had to change the mold in order to get it flatter and up the speed from a speed 4 to a speed 5. But then if you think about the different molds it should've been called the Roc4...hence the 4 different molds of rocs available. Anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?

I'm also confused by the nomenclature. Originally I remember seeing RC3, which made sense as meaning "Rancho Cucamonga 3" like the 3rd version of that particular mold. I believe Dave D. was quoted as posting that in the PDGA forums. RC3 not Roc3. That made sense, even though I thought that there was just one Rancho mold, which would be the 3rd version of the Roc, and could justifiably be called the Roc3.

I'm not looking at a picture of the stamp or Innova's site, but if I remember correctly the Big Bird stamp says Roc3, right next to the bird, not RC3. I'm wondering why the switch and if it's Rancho 3, then where is Rancho 2?

Another puzzler is that I believe that they are just marked R on the bottom, with no way to differentiate between this mold and other Rancho Rocs, b/c the tooling still says Rancho. When they become production, other than the change in Champ blend, which will surely change again in the future, how would you tell the difference? Will a regular Champ Rancho Roc ever become production?

Innova, you have found another way to confuse and complicate what could otherwise be a straightforward naming system. I guess at least they announced a mold modification and didn't just drop a new mold with the same name, but it's almost more confusing to add another mold variation and still call it a Roc, which by my count should be called a Roc4.

Ont., SM, Rancho, Roc3/RC3.... yeah, that's 4 for sure.

Latest posts