• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] The Ninja

The Aerobie already out distances any legal or non-approved dics by a wide margin anyway so I'm not sure what the point is in making non-approved discs that might fly incrementally farther than the current legal ones.

The aerobie isn't associated with disc golf in most people's heads and not sold in the disc golf section of stores. The ninja will be right there next to all the other disc golf discs and the "the man doesn't want you to use this" marketing will get people to buy it b/c that style of marketing has worked forever.

I remember the gateway ads with a bunch of emo/hipster kids in tight jeans with wool hats. Is that gw's market? Seems whenever dc, innova, or lat shocases players, they look somewhat professional.

Hey Jimb is that feature open for all members or premium?

It is free. On your scorebook page, select the course you want in the Course Stats section. Next to the header are three icons. The first one is the Advanced Stats section. That's what you want.

Pretty sure that's just the regular advanced stats part of the scorebook.

Thanks for answering for me. I wasn't on line to see the question earlier. And sorry about hijacking the thread.

i'm not sure i'd buy a disc that wasn't pdga approved. what's the point when you're getting into tournament play. I've been hearing talks about this ninja for a while and, well, if it's not PDGA approved, I won't even be picking it up off the shelves.

Last edited:
i'm not sure i'd buy a disc that wasn't pdga approved. what's the point when you're getting into tournament play.
What about unsanctioned tournaments?

Call me nuts, but wasn't Davey Mac the one advocating on the PDGA board a few years ago (right after the big brew-ha-ha about overweight discs making it out of the factory, namely Innova's) that all discs should have a universal max weight of 180g to make things easier to determine if they're legal or not?

And no, I won't be buying a Ninja, in much the same reason I haven't bought any of the legal big wing drivers. With not enough arm speed to rip them and hands to small to grip them properly, they're effectively fairway drivers with a lot less control in my mitts.

Does anyone see the irony with the katana and ninja?
Ninjas were viewed as shady compared to japans respected katana weilding samurai

After reading this thread, I think I am going to buy one and whore it out.

PDGA Tourney player: What disc is that?
Me: Ninja
Them: Does it work like they said?
Me: I dont know, you should get one and try it
Them: Im not buying a disc thats not approved that I cant use in a tourny. Would like to throw one though
Me: Let you throw this one for $1. $15 if you lose it.

After reading this thread, I think I am going to buy one and whore it out.

PDGA Tourney player: What disc is that?
Me: Ninja
Them: Does it work like they said?
Me: I dont know, you should get one and try it
Them: Im not buying a disc thats not approved that I cant use in a tourny. Would like to throw one though
Me: Let you throw this one for $1. $15 if you lose it.

you should make your money back pretty quick

you should make your money back pretty quick

Yeah, i think it would be the only way to justify buying it as I see me throwing it 200' with a big backwards c-shaped curve.

Really, if people want discs to forsake form development to get a little extra distance; they can do it with some legal discs like the Dragon is good for noodle arms like mine to add some feet and and R-Pro Boss also seems to do the trick for most, just dont smack any trees real hard.

Well, we got ours in at MSt...

Got a chance to throw our demo (175g, Pink, domey)...

For the record, I feel I can throw ~400ft when I want/need to.

This seemed a little too flippy for me when thrown like I would a normal driver. At a 90% throw with a fair amount of hyzer, it flipped up, slowly flipped to straight, and kept turning. Took a few standstill drives, with again fairly decent hyzer at ~75% and it still flipped over. So initially, it doesn't seem like it could make it to my (non-pdga) bag... BUT, it does seem like this will help players who don't throw very far, gain much distance... so I do believe the claims.

Initial comparisons imo would be a more durable R-Pro Boss...

They were purchased that way. The ASA does a lot of testing, so they would approve a bat and then you would get a bulletin that an approved bat failed follow-up testing and was now illegal. There are A LOT of illegal softball bats on the market, at least there were 5-6 years ago.

Again, it comes down to who you are. If you are playing in a Co-Rec league, you probably don't know if your bat is illegal or not and the ump probably just wants his $33 and couldn't care less. If you are playing in a Class A qualifier, you probably do know if your bat is legal and if you don't your opponents will surely point that out to an ump who will care.

There are Several bats out on the market that are illegal in tourney play. Seems like every bat out there will be approved in one but not any of the other sanctioning orgs.

Really, if people want discs to forsake form development to get a little extra distance; they can do it with some legal discs like the Dragon is good for noodle arms like mine to add some feet and and R-Pro Boss also seems to do the trick for most, just dont smack any trees real hard.

My thoughts exactly.