• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] The Ninja

And have you used this feature on DGCR? I just discovered this a couple of days ago and think that it's pretty sweet. Obviously, holes #4 & #6 give me the most trouble at this course.

picture.php

Here's my $.02 on this subject. Gateway knowingly making a disc that is not PDGA approved would be like the someone making a basketball with a remote control on it so you can control it to make it go in the basket everytime. Great...it goes in the basket and it's fun to play with, but what good is it if you can't use it in the NBA, or the same with baseball. What if you made a baseball that flew 200mph but you couldn't use it in the MLB. Sure it would be fun to throw around with the guys but to not use professionaly?!?!?! I don't think I'll ever buy a Ninja. I would like it to much outside of the realm of PDGA events and would want to play with it in the tourney. I don't know about any one else's local scene but about 80% of disc golfers in my area are frequent PDGA event players, and they make up the majority of disc sales. I think this is a step in the wrong direction on Gateway's (Dave's) part, but then again I'm not a major disc manufacturer. I wish the best to Dave Mac and I hope he proves me wrong on sales and everything else. I'll tell you this. He's hit the nail on the head with their putters and even mids if you ask me!!! You can't go wrong with Gateway putters and mids!!!

I made this new disc, you guys. If you believe in its magical power it will ace any hole EVERY TIME! The problem is that you don't truly believe than the magic doesn't work.

Only $125 or $100 in trade.

Hey Jimb is that feature open for all members or premium?
I believe that is part of the awesomesauce that is the premium membership.

It is free. On your scorebook page, select the course you want in the Course Stats section. Next to the header are three icons. The first one is the Advanced Stats section. That's what you want.

I believe that is part of the awesomesauce that is the premium membership.

Pretty sure that's just the regular advanced stats part of the scorebook.

Back to Gateway...does it make you respect Gateway less if they release a non-PDGA approved disc? Is anybody going to stop throwing their Wizards because of the Ninja, honestly?

Here's my $.02 on this subject. Gateway knowingly making a disc that is not PDGA approved would be like the someone making a basketball with a remote control on it so you can control it to make it go in the basket everytime. Great...it goes in the basket and it's fun to play with, but what good is it if you can't use it in the NBA, or the same with baseball. What if you made a baseball that flew 200mph but you couldn't use it in the MLB. Sure it would be fun to throw around with the guys but to not use professionaly?!?!?! I don't think I'll ever buy a Ninja. I would like it to much outside of the realm of PDGA events and would want to play with it in the tourney. I don't know about any one else's local scene but about 80% of disc golfers in my area are frequent PDGA event players, and they make up the majority of disc sales. I think this is a step in the wrong direction on Gateway's (Dave's) part, but then again I'm not a major disc manufacturer. I wish the best to Dave Mac and I hope he proves me wrong on sales and everything else. I'll tell you this. He's hit the nail on the head with their putters and even mids if you ask me!!! You can't go wrong with Gateway putters and mids!!!

The River City Flyers club pres recently told me that there is an estimated 10,000 people who play dg in the St. Louis area to one degree or another. About 400 club members right now meaning that most likely there are 9000+ who dont play organized events much less pdga events. The market for this disc is there in my opinion. Anecodotally, we have a couple chuckers at our course who are jazzed about it. These are his target market. I hope he does well with it.

Gateway knowingly making a disc that is not PDGA approved would be like the someone making a basketball with a remote control on it so you can control it to make it go in the basket everytime. Great...it goes in the basket and it's fun to play with, but what good is it if you can't use it in the NBA, or the same with baseball. What if you made a baseball that flew 200mph but you couldn't use it in the MLB. Sure it would be fun to throw around with the guys but to not use professionaly?!?!?!

Actually it's more like using an aluminum bat. Those aren't allowed in MLB, yet they sell like hot cakes.

Ok I guess the course I tried early i didnt record hole by hole score. Havent used the scorebook in year anyway, I will now for Idle and Airy to try and figure out problem holes.

Dude, no flame war here. I really thought that your "years playing" icon said 4.2 years last night and now it says 1.2 years playing. If it said 1.2 all along, that's my bad and I probably should have already been in bed when I posted.

I don't think that there's anything wrong with what you're doing at all. It was just at 4.2 years, only 28 birdies seemed like a really low number. But for 1.2 years, I understand now.

In any case, enjoy the game... and non PDGA approved discs if you want. I never paid attention to whether mine were or not. I actually never even thought about it. I don't play tournaments. Even if I did, and I was playing with an illegal disc, I doubt that anyone would call me on it when they saw my game. :doh: They'd be like, "let the poor guy throw what he wants." :p

Not a problem man, it's cool. Everyone is here for the same reason...to learn more about disc golf and make our game better.

Originally Posted by krazyeye
If it isn't intended for PDGA play what is the point?
The point is to push the envelop on how far a disc can fly.
Players with less power need all the help they can get keeping up with those who can out drive them every hole.

Our market research shows over 99% of the people who play disc golf do not play pdga events?

80% do not play any kind of organized event at all.
The Majority of people who play disc golf play for fun or friendly competition with their friends.
This disc is intended for these players or for players that just want to see how far then can throw.

We can (and will) eventually make a similar disc that is within the rules, but it probably wont be until after the first of next year.
We currently have as many as 12 new discs we will be releasing over the next year, including the new Ninja top ( with surface technology) on the Apache wing and on the Sabre Wing.

Our next release (in about a month) will be a mid-range between the Element and Warrior called The SCOUT!
Depending on the stability we made add surface technology to the leading 1/2" of the Scout.

A questionnaire on the ninja will be available on our website after the release.
Those who participate will be eligible to win prizes including, lessons with me or Nikko, custom stamped discs and minis, Golf bags, Bulls-Eyes Training baskets and Titan Pro-24 baskets.

Feel free to share your opinions on the disc or our decision to release a non pdga approved disc once you have thrown it.

Dave mac

***I pulled this off the PDGA forum for those that still care***

Wow. We've come full circle back to the first page of the thread.

FYI...The rim width was capped because as rims get wider those who throw very hard gain more advantage. So the rationale that this super wide rimmed driver is going to help those who can't drive as far as their buddies is pretty laughable. Its going to dive left and skip for them while their buddies outdrive them by even more.

If someone tried to boast that they threw farther or did better than me and they use a ninja to do that, I would just have to say..."At least I use legal discs"

I can already see a thread on here in a month or so..."I can't get my ninja to fly 400 ft" or "Since I started throwing the ninja, i can't get my other discs to fly like they use to" I have a feeling that this rim is going to be so wide that casual players will have issues griping this disc unless he/she has a huge hand.

Maybe someone will do an X-tier event where players can only use discs not approved by the PDGA.

Originally Posted by krazyeye
If it isn't intended for PDGA play what is the point?

Our market research shows over 99% of the people who play disc golf do not play pdga events?

80% do not play any kind of organized event at all.
The Majority of people who play disc golf play for fun or friendly competition with their friends.
This disc is intended for these players or for players that just want to see how far then can throw.

And what % of casual players throw Gateway plastic other than putters? How many casuals actually purchase discs from an actual disc golf shop or one that even carries Gateway?
The illegal yet fast Quest Terminator was such a big hit tho...oh wait no it wasnt.
Absolute failure for Gateway.