• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The obligatory which should I choose thread

lxdawg25

Par Member
Okay I know everyone does this and could spend time searching but I'm at work and wanted to see if I could get some feedback sooner than later. I realized last night that I have nothing really over stable in my bag, and that there is a decent gap in the area of low end distance to high end fairway driver. After doing some nosing around I was considering the XXX. Partially because it falls into this area but also because I've been wanting to try some Lat 64 discs. The reason I don't have any of these is that I know very little about them so any info or advice on a disc in this area would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I'm gonna use a fire bird to fill this role for now, but am looking for something a bit shorter.

prerube I saw that you were the first to respond and assumed that I had been prerubed. Any reason for the trident over the XXX?

Last edited:
prerube I saw that you were the first to respond and was assumed that I had been prerubed. Any reason for the trident over the XXX?

Based off the numbers on Joe's, the trident is actually High speed understable, but the one I threw was slow and stupidly overstable :confused:

Maybe it was a weird trident, but I thought xxx was to firebird and trident was to whippet.

Nothing wrong with the chicken at all. I have a champ max in the bag for the more overstable shots/water shots. New glow firechickens are super overstable

Based off the numbers on Joe's, the trident is actually High speed understable, but the one I threw was slow and stupidly overstable :confused:

Maybe it was a weird trident, but I thought xxx was to firebird and trident was to whippet.

I don't think the Trident is true overstable, its just such a blunt brick it usually drops outta the air really quick.

XXX is probably a bit shorter than a FB, and slightly more overstable.

The trident is plenty overstable, at least in opto. I've cranked it into 35+mph headwinds and it didn't turn over.

The XXX I came across last year was too overstable for use. I bought a Viper for your stated purpose.

XXX is a winner. Good for short throws where the wind is a SOB or you need a ton of stability. Also a good OH and FH disc. I use mine all the time. Great disc to have in the bag.

truth^ I kept mine around just for thumbers for awhile. Still have it in there today though it covers a few more rolls after minimizing my molds.

The Trident is ridiculously overstable, but a workable overstable. The XXX that I've thrown have all be ridiculously overstable and not as workable. The trident is more overstable than the Banshee but about the same line. I have 3 tridents b/c they are so amazing, and 0 XXX. Now maybe that b/c I don't throw a lot of thumbers or forehand. Trident baby, Trident.

What are the discs you're using now? XXX is a great utility disc (I have one) but not sure about overstable fairway driver. It's almost too overstable for that purpose. I would say a Discmania PD or Flow.

What are the discs you're using now? XXX is a great utility disc (I have one) but not sure about overstable fairway driver. It's almost too overstable for that purpose. I would say a Discmania PD or Flow.

This ^^^^^.

As a RHBH, this is how I use my XXX as well. I throw mine on those HUGE Hyzer shots from 200-250, and thrown flat. For the opposite shot, I use the Vision. I have never had such extremely over and understable discs as these.

try a river. me and my buddy were throwing one back and fourth on a 295 foot hole and i was putting it within 20 feet of him on all sorts of lines

OP, if you want something that will fade forward more than dump fade, I'd go Banshee first, then Trident, then xXx.

I do like a flat top xXx though. If mine wasn't chameleon purple I'd'a kept it.

I throw mine on those HUGE Hyzer shots from 200-250, and thrown flat.

That huge hyzer is what I'm kinda going for, honestly it'll be used mainly on a hole that is 180 out than a hard turn into the woods. I occasionally will use a firebird or a beat 150 wraith on this hole and they get there but are not turning in enough. The thing is I carry both of those discs for only that one shot and am looking for something that I will better fill a hole in my bag. I already have a couple of wraiths and anywhere else I would use the firebird I can use a leopard or beast.

I don't know the hole you're trying to play, but if your current overstable discs aren't going left enough to birdie going more overstable might not be the best solution. I've found that I'm able to get more right to left play out of a less stable disc thrown with lots of height and hyzer. Only going 180 out, I'd probably throw a comet but if you feel the need to use a fairway driver, I'd probably throw a stalker.

I do carry a Z predator for spike hyzers and crazy headwinds though so I'm not saying OS discs are useless. It just might not be the solution for that particular hole.

I don't know the hole you're trying to play, but if your current overstable discs aren't going left enough to birdie going more overstable might not be the best solution. I've found that I'm able to get more right to left play out of a less stable disc thrown with lots of height and hyzer. Only going 180 out, I'd probably throw a comet but if you feel the need to use a fairway driver, I'd probably throw a stalker.

I do carry a Z predator for spike hyzers and crazy headwinds though so I'm not saying OS discs are useless. It just might not be the solution for that particular hole.

Right now when I throw a big high hyzer (this is the shot I'm taking) it still does not turn in enough and in pursuit of getting close to the pin it's almost becoming a tomahawk but it's damn near impossible to get that high. I would like to get that turn to just be a bit easier and a bit deeper without having go so high. I can take that shot and have it be serviceable but I was looking for a disc that would have more than just one shot in it and thought a OS disc could serve that purpose. I was carrying a stalker but felt like it over lapped with my leopard too much. I don't know if this makes sense or not or if I'm just crazy. And I do really appreciate the input from everyone, I'm just so indecisive when it comes to buying discs that I want as much info as possible, especially if I can not go to a store and pick one up and hold it. I'm not sure about the comet may need to take it out there and give it a try.

Latest posts