• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Official 'Ask Paul McBeth' Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
someone listens to feldbergs clinics... i must say ive never understood where he got that.... imo

If I recall correctly it's because we (in general) line things up with our dominant eye. Our brain thinks the dominant eye is looking straight ahead and so we have a tendency to throw that line versus the actual line to the basket. Or it over compensates or something. I'm actually making this up as I go.

But I think you may not have had the issue because of baseball. Your brain was already trained to properly compensate? I'm just making this up too. Seems to make sense.

Do you plan on playing the Brent Hambrick Memorial Open?

If I recall correctly it's because we (in general) line things up with our dominant eye. Our brain thinks the dominant eye is looking straight ahead and so we have a tendency to throw that line versus the actual line to the basket. Or it over compensates or something. I'm actually making this up as I go.

But I think you may not have had the issue because of baseball. Your brain was already trained to properly compensate? I'm just making this up too. Seems to make sense.

Do you plan on playing the Brent Hambrick Memorial Open?

i think its completly made up, why would no other sport EVER talk about this.....

yes i believe so

the gator is pretty much a stock disc haha
ive never the early runs

I guess what I'm saying is, the current production of champion gators are CFR only. The current gators I would classify as stock are run in dx and star. I've found the early runs fly much different, and I was wondering if you felt the same way.

Paul, I've watched those vids of your drives, and I know you heel pivot. My question is, when you do the pivot, is your right leg completely straight or slightly bent at the knee, or very bent?
From vids, it seems like your right leg is slightly bent at the knee when you pivot.
Is this natural or did one way cause you to feel pain somewhere?

Also, for your stand-still approach shots, do you still pivot with your heel or ball of foot? Or not at all?

Thanks and all of your answers were really cool/helpful.

Paul, I've watched those vids of your drives, and I know you heel pivot. My question is, when you do the pivot, is your right leg completely straight or slightly bent at the knee, or very bent?
From vids, it seems like your right leg is slightly bent at the knee when you pivot.

Also, for your stand-still approach shots, do you still pivot with your heel or ball of foot? Or not at all?

I want to say something about the supposed heel pivot. There is a common misconception that this is something pro's or high level players do intentionally. Such as they do their X step then plant their heel into the ground and spin. This is completely false. In reality when a player properly intergates their hips into a throw, using proper foot work, transitioning from the ball of your foot to your heel becomes biomechanically the only way a throw should end. The idea that you have to physically, make yourself rotate on your heel, will get you in way more trouble, then you can imagine. Only by isolating and using your feet and hips properly will you get the proper foot elighnment on your follow through.

Paul, I was just curious as to what the other pros that you play with, and associate with, think about this site and the forums here. Is it like listening to sports-talk radio and hearing a bunch of jackasses talking about them, or do they want to start their own "ask" threads. There was some talk about twitter and such earlier, and i feel like you have a ton of new fans by keeping this thread going. A someone who almost never posts but reads a lot here, Thanks, and you have another fan.

Hey Paul,

Earlier in this thread you mentioned the different putting styles that you utilize. Can you please shed a little more light on when/where/how you use these different styles?

For example, most people use the same style of putt for everything inside of the circle under normal conditions, but start to change things once they move further outside of the circle. At what point do you start to change things up, and how so? Also, how does wind effect you style of putting? Do you speed it up, slow it down, spin, push, hyzer, flat etc. I remember watching you putt at the MN Majestic last year and being so impressed with the accuracy and power you got on your 50 ft putts. But it didn't look like you were doing any kind of walk through or jump putt. What would you call that and how do you execute that technique. Thanks.

Are we looking at a February release of the Roc3 and McPro Aviar? Im sure the question has been asked but one more time answering couldnt hurt.

i think its completly made up, why would no other sport EVER talk about this.....

yes i believe so

We used this in basketball when I coached High School. Some of the incoming freshmen had never established which of their eyes were dominant. There's an easy way to tell but I won't bore you with the details. There is a video out there that supports this (which is where I got it from). Depending on which eye is dominant determines your arm position as you start your shooting motion. Anywho...

I guess what I'm saying is, the current production of champion gators are CFR only. The current gators I would classify as stock are run in dx and star. I've found the early runs fly much different, and I was wondering if you felt the same way.

ive never thrown them so i can't compare, i know the champion are cfr but if i wanted i could order 100 no problem unlike oop stuff

i'm pretty sure every shot i throw from my toes or ball of my foot, i'm one of a very very few that do. i always pivot if i have the room on every shot even putts

http://youtu.be/vEOFR1fgWS8

Last edited:
Paul, I was just curious as to what the other pros that you play with, and associate with, think about this site and the forums here. Is it like listening to sports-talk radio and hearing a bunch of jackasses talking about them, or do they want to start their own "ask" threads. There was some talk about twitter and such earlier, and i feel like you have a ton of new fans by keeping this thread going. A someone who almost never posts but reads a lot here, Thanks, and you have another fan.

i really have no clue, i don't often associate with other "top" pro is the winter. i normally just go home to FL or back to cali for the winter. i was talking to steve rico about this yesterday though and he seems pretty interested.

Hey Paul,

Earlier in this thread you mentioned the different putting styles that you utilize. Can you please shed a little more light on when/where/how you use these different styles?

For example, most people use the same style of putt for everything inside of the circle under normal conditions, but start to change things once they move further outside of the circle. At what point do you start to change things up, and how so? Also, how does wind effect you style of putting? Do you speed it up, slow it down, spin, push, hyzer, flat etc. I remember watching you putt at the MN Majestic last year and being so impressed with the accuracy and power you got on your 50 ft putts. But it didn't look like you were doing any kind of walk through or jump putt. What would you call that and how do you execute that technique. Thanks.

if its wind open nothing in the way i wont change antthing, if i have bushes or low cieling the i have to adjust to either a lob or low spin putt depeding on wind or other factors. i'm pretty sure i will have a video about all this sometime this year

yes i believe so

Idk about the legitemacy (sp?) of Feldys insight on dominant eye stuff, but ive heard a lot about it in regard to hitting in baseball, it surprises me that you havent heard some of the same.

A few seasons ago Pujols had changed up his stance a bit and instead of being mostly sideways and looking at the pitcher with primarily just his left side, he adjusted his head and now faces his head directly at pitchers. For the reasons of his right eye being dominant.

That doesnt proove its legit science or that it works for everyone, just throwin it out there that it has been discussed in major sports. Id be willin to be Sports Science did a piece on it also, ill try and search for a link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts