• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Official First Dyes Thread

My first dye

This is my first dye I just completed. I had some running because i did the paint method and didn't cover the whole disc and I didn't expect it to run so much. Anyway, I'm okay with the end result and I can't wait to do another. Let me know what you think of it. Woodstock dye on Star Teebird.

Photoon2011-05-10at0050.jpg

This is my first dye I just completed. I had some running because i did the paint method and didn't cover the whole disc and I didn't expect it to run so much. Anyway, I'm okay with the end result and I can't wait to do another. Let me know what you think of it. Woodstock dye on Star Teebird.

nice first try, looks well centered and the bleeding adds a nostalgic effect :thmbup:

my first.

White X-cal gone Aztec-ey and sheeot!!!

Cut on top of the disc. 3 colors. I thought it turned out pretty good:thmbup:

attachment.php

My first. Left the blue in too long, it was WAYYYYYYYYYY too dark. Champ Sidewinder
attachment.php

My second. PITA to hand cut, I'm not one for patience. DX Aviar
attachment.php

Attachments

• Spiral DX Brick Aviar.jpg
    Spiral DX Brick Aviar.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 516
  • Firefox Champ Sidewinder.jpg
    Firefox Champ Sidewinder.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 518
my first.

White X-cal gone Aztec-ey and sheeot!!!

My first. Left the blue in too long, it was WAYYYYYYYYYY too dark. Champ Sidewinder

My second. PITA to hand cut, I'm not one for patience. DX Aviar

both are very good, I think we've all cut on top of a disc at the begining, I know I did and it didn't look half as good.

Don't worry about blue it does fade to a nice dark blue, at least it has for me, just takes awhile

First Attempt

Here is my first attempt at dyeing. I haven't received my sample vinyl from 3M yet so I thought I would try the saran wrap marbling technique explained by agent peebody (thanks for the step by step details). The disc is a light orange ESP impact. I used the liquid scarlet RIT dye. I am doing a second layer using Navy Blue (which looked purple). Hopefully the second layer turns out ok. Layer #1 took about 25 minutes and looks pretty good, I think.

Attachments

• IMG_3018.jpg
    IMG_3018.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 113

I like the bleeds. They look pretty good. If i may make a suggestion. Mask off the design you have already and try the shaving cream marble method on the rest of the disc in different colors and it would hide the bleeds

For whatever reason, I coud not get the navy blue marbling to take on my disk, just kept washing off. I used a pretty concentrated dye/water ratio and let it sit for longer the first layer of red marbling but none of stayed on the disc. Any thoughts?

SpacemanSpiff on a champion roadrunner. 1st dye, and i can already feel an addiction.

Last edited:
Here is my first attempt at dyeing. I haven't received my sample vinyl from 3M yet so I thought I would try the saran wrap marbling technique explained by agent peebody (thanks for the step by step details). The disc is a light orange ESP impact. I used the liquid scarlet RIT dye. I am doing a second layer using Navy Blue (which looked purple). Hopefully the second layer turns out ok. Layer #1 took about 25 minutes and looks pretty good, I think.

I really like the effect you got, with the small scale pockets. Could you or Agent Peabody enlighten another noob.

I really like the effect you got, with the small scale pockets. Could you or Agent Peabody enlighten another noob.

I am definately still new to the disc dyeing process. I think I was able to achieve that effect by removing the disc from the plastic bags and then repositioning about halfway through.

First two dyes, a Leopard and an XCaliber. Lots of black to start off, looking forward to trying some multi-colored dyes.

1K5Vkl.jpg

AnLl9.jpg

I am definately still new to the disc dyeing process. I think I was able to achieve that effect by removing the disc from the plastic bags and then repositioning about halfway through.

so do you just put a couple plastic bags in your dye pot after its at temp? I'm guessing, the more bags/tighter together the smaller/tighter the marbling.

so do you just put a couple plastic bags in your dye pot after its at temp? I'm guessing, the more bags/tighter together the smaller/tighter the marbling.

If I remember correctly, that particular marbling was done using plastic wrap instead of plastic bags which may result in a different look. I put various pieces of plastic wrap in the pot, heated up about 4 oz of dye, and slowly poured on top of the plastic wrap. I then put the disc on the plastic wrap and weighted it down. After 10-15 minutes, I removed the disc from the plastic wrap and repositioned. I let it sit another 10-15 minutes. I believe the more times you reposition the disc, the smaller/tighter the marbling will be. Hope this helps.

Latest posts