• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Official First Dyes Thread

LeewayeDiscGolf

Double Eagle Member
This thread is for posting pics or telling us about the very first time you ever dyed a disc. For those that have dyed for awhile, post pics of your first dye/attempt, if you have pics. Be honest, no posting your perfect fifth dye and saying it's your first. For those just starting out, post your firsts here. With all the new dyers popping up we should be able to get a great collection of firsts.

My first dye ever that i did tonight i need some practice haha

DSC_0232.jpg

Forgot a pic of mine, so here it is. A vampire chick from awhile back. It's even on a Champ Boss. :p Didn't get the vinyl on smooth at all. Tried a yellow sun on an orange disc. The black turned out perfect. Did get a new technique out of it though. The city background was done on the back of the disc. I put strips of masking tape on the back then poured a little bit of dye on them. The tape sucked up the dye and held it against the disc. Not perfect at all, but my first. It's a wall disc now.

Attachments

• boss.jpg
    boss.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 300
Oh Boy Oh Boy!!! Here's my first!!!...........................White X-out XCal. Hand-cut and took me about 5 hours. Would now take half the time, if not quicker.

attachment.php

My girls first dye, and also the first disc either of us had ever done, she drew and hand cut, and went for two colors and a remask. Pro Rhyno, took forever to take color.

picture.php

Meanwhile, I was working on my first dye, Hypercube on a champion Wraith. Took me forever, all hand drawn and cut. I obsessed over every little edge and line.

picture.php

My first was on a Champ Wraith, hand-cut. Disc is now gone but I will never forget the feeling of pulling off that first mask, HOOKED!

5451078636_c04fc4ab46_b.jpg

This was my first. I learned that you really need to cut the vinyl, at least, an inch wider than the disc.

picture.php

Last edited:
My very 1st...Pro Wraith.
The guy I gave it to still has it (and still throws it!)

Attachments

• PRO WRAITH.JPG
    PRO WRAITH.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 70
The early cuyler dye underneath the star was my first. - At the time was using contact paper, and first tried using straight acetone+rit which promptly curled the mask. Later used this disc to see the effects of an orange dip over existing navy.
picture.php

This is my second attempt. Much better mask and dip experience(contact paper+hot water/rit) but the xacto skills left much to be desired.
picture.php

Last edited:
I love seeing all these pics! The best lesson I've learned so far is that anytime you wanna try a new technique, use one of your own discs. I always test an idea on my own discs that way the disc the friend or customer gets is perfect.

Its also a great reason to go disc diving! The % w/o #s on them usually make it worthwhile for some practice canvases.
Lol, you could just start practicing on discs if people don't call you back soon too - "hey, I marbled it for you" :p

Latest posts