• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The one term that doesn't belong in disc golf

You mean this basket, right?

Ncaa Sports Sport GIF by Delaware Blue Hens

The article makes sense - using "basket" in place of "hole."

Easy when referring to the thing itself "put it in the basket" instead of "put it in the hole."

But feels weird when referring to the overall area of play ("Basket #3 is a dogleg right").

The article makes sense - using "basket" in place of "hole."

Easy when referring to the thing itself "put it in the basket" instead of "put it in the hole."

But feels weird when referring to the overall area of play ("Basket #3 is a dogleg right").
Couldn't agree more.
What do we call the whole area from the Tee to the Basket?

I thought this article was going to cover my pet peeve ... "Tap-in".
We aren't tapping anything (no jokes), we are throwing a disc a short distance, sometimes literally dropping it in the basket.

"TAP OUT ... DROP IN" 😁

Sidebar: I've come across a few courses with old school signage that used "target" instead of "basket" (and yes, these courses had baskets, not poles or other things in place of baskets...)

Sounds like a job for the International Disc Golf Lexicon Consortium (IDGLC).

They normally only meet on even-numbered years but this is long overdue and I think if we can get enough signatures on a petition they're bound by by-laws to hold a confab.

Yeah, this article is either rather dense or specifically designed to generate "engagement". One of the comments specifically calls out why the argument males no sense:
'Hole' used in this way is a 'metonymy', it names a part but stands for the whole, tee-to-basket unit that one records a score for.

As others have already mentioned, not only does it fail to understand the history of the word "hole", (and other words like tee, etc.) but also the history of disc golf where baskets are a later invention that come after the basic form and rules of the game were laid down. I imagine the author would find changing the nomenclature to "Target #1" to be odd and unnecessary.

I'm fine with people using terms straight out of golf (stroke, hole, etc) even if they don't make literal sense for dg. I know what they're talking about. Same if they want to be accurate and use words that describe what we are actually doing.

I also don't care if you call it frolf. When I'm talking to someone who isn't familiar with the game, I'll usually refer to it as frisbee golf becuase I think it helps give them a mental picture of what I'm talking about. Once they seem to be getting it, I'll mention that we are using golf specific discs that are much different from the frisbees they've played catch with.

Lots of things in life to get bent out of shape about. I don't need to waste my time being annoyed about terminology.