• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

THE Practice Basket?

@iDiscGolf

* Ace Member *
Curious to hear people's thoughts on the practice basket etiquette.

This is where you warm up putting before starting a round, so you hopefully don't three putt the next 18 holes... But what is the etiquette with other people and the starting of a round, etc?

If someone is obviously about to putt, don't ninja run up to pick up your one putter, let the others toss a few.

Are you supposed to wait your turn on the practice basket as would would starting a round on hole one? Or is it free for all, everyone putting together?

What if someone's warming up on the practice basket and you go straight to hole one (to wait for your turn to tee), is that a dick move to the people waiting while putting?

If someone is obviously about to putt, don't ninja run up to pick up your one putter, let the others toss a few.

yeah, that's about it around these parts too...let most people get their tosses in before running up and collecting your discs.

Are you supposed to wait your turn on the practice basket as would would starting a round on hole one? Or is it free for all, everyone putting together?

What if someone's warming up on the practice basket and you go straight to hole one (to wait for your turn to tee), is that a dick move to the people waiting while putting?

Free for all.

You need to physically be in line on the first tee. If you are practicing you are not ready for the round.

Don't hit other people with your putters. That is pretty much the only rule here in MN hahaha.

HA! Now, that's the pro etiquette tip!

From my experience, it's just a free for all, everyone has a stack of putters and throws as they wish. If you only have 2-3 putters, you usually have to wait to retrieve them. I've never run across anyone who was a prick about it and walked in other people's way constantly or got mad at people grabbing their discs. Then again, I've never been one a putting basket that had more that 4-5 guys around warming up.

THE practice basket before a competitive round should be a free for all because of so many people. If you want a basket to yourself, then go find one on the course, I will show more etiquette at these baskets but not much. Its just for warming up.

I ended up bringing my own to the last couple events I played in. Found a nice quiet corner and did my thing.

All of the practice baskets near me (Ann Arbor area) seem to have been stolen at one point or another :(

A touch of courtesy and a smidge of common sense is all that is needed. Everyone throws as they wish and waits for everybody to finish up, everybody goes to collect. It seems to work out fine most of the time. Of course, when a little common sense and courtesy are the guidelines.....there will always be a couple entitled folks, who lack both. Putting warm up is no time to get bunched though. It is essential to my game to make this a positive, if I were to come out of putting warm up irritated, I have started down a path of self defeat.

Free for all. Retrieve at your own risk, but also try to be courteous.

dont be that ass hat that brings 3 putters
just bring two, you selfish jerks

Totally this. Selfish pricks.

But truthfully, I'll just go find a basket nearby that isn't quite as crowded. That, or throw turbo putts at the TD until he gets his **** together and starts the damn tournament.

dont be that ass hat that brings 3 putters
just bring two, you selfish jerks

Most guys around here who care enough to warm up on the practice basket before a tourney have 5-8 when they queue up. It's more common to razz the guys who only have 2 because they're always trying to sneak into the basket while a few others are still tossing.

Just don't be that ******* that brings eight putters to the practice basket when everyone else is throwing 2 to 3 max.

If you only have one putter, don't start throwing your drivers at the basket too. It happens way too often, and you wouldn't do it on the actual course.

Just don't be that ******* that brings eight putters to the practice basket when everyone else is throwing 2 to 3 max.

Bingo. A tall stack of putters should be reserved for personal practice time in the back yard or when you've got a basket to yourself. If you're sharing the basket at all, stick to 3 max.

If you're going to be the guy with a stack of putters, you don't get to bitch about the rest of us with our 2-3 putters retrieving them and disrupting your "routine". Get with the program or find somewhere else to warm up.

That said, I'm a 2 putter warm up guy and I always try to find an empty basket to warm up on even if I have to walk out into the course a bit to find it. A whole lot less standing around waiting to be able to retrieve my discs, no chance of getting hit with stray putts, and I can work at my own pace.

Most guys around here who care enough to warm up on the practice basket before a tourney have 5-8 when they queue up. It's more common to razz the guys who only have 2 because they're always trying to sneak into the basket while a few others are still tossing.

Bingo. A tall stack of putters should be reserved for personal practice time in the back yard or when you've got a basket to yourself. If you're sharing the basket at all, stick to 3 max.

If you're going to be the guy with a stack of putters, you don't get to bitch about the rest of us with our 2-3 putters retrieving them and disrupting your "routine". Get with the program or find somewhere else to warm up.

I tend to see the stack of putters as the common trend in MN. If you go with only 2-3 you are waiting an annoyingly long time to retrieve.

Latest posts