• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

To the above poster the Star Tern is sweet. It is a great Hyzerflip Disc or if you throw it flat watch it bomb into a anhyzer.

The Starlite Tern has me wanting one now. :thmbup:

Excellent. I've been looking for a disc to fill that spot in my bag and am hoping that the Star Tern will do it.

My birthday's coming up at the end of the month and I think I know a couple things that are going on the short list right now! :D

I just counted my discs with my daughter this past weekend as I was sorting them, checking on my backups, etc. The count is at 108. My daughter says that I need 3 more for a cool number... 111. I think that I'll have to take her up on the suggestion. :clap:

Excellent. I've been looking for a disc to fill that spot in my bag and am hoping that the Star Tern will do it.

My birthday's coming up at the end of the month and I think I know a couple things that are going on the short list right now! :D

I just counted my discs with my daughter this past weekend as I was sorting them, checking on my backups, etc. The count is at 108. My daughter says that I need 3 more for a cool number... 111. I think that I'll have to take her up on the suggestion. :clap:

Now for me the Star Tern seems to have more glide and lift. So you have to throw it a bit lower. Well with my form I have to throw it lower.

That's pretty awesome that she said the number needed to be 111. The things kids say :D

The KC Tern started pretty neutral stable for me but after many, many impacts the last two months it has really hit a sweet spot. Thrown flat it makes an awesome s-turn with decent fade. Hyzer flip and its a frozen rope for a good disrance before starting a turn. And it holds annys the whole way...no fade.

The Star Tern is flippy in a fantastic way. I cant throw it flat or with anny unless I want a juicy roller, but playing with hyzer angles has got me some amazing shota. And the Star Terns definetly have more glide than the Champ version.

So are these available anywhere yet? I was checking out DiscGolfCenter and there are none there yet. I even looked at the Innova site and didn't see them on their list of Terns available. Thanks!

One of the shops in Denver, Fly Green, posted pics of their shipment of them on their Facebook but I havent found any online retailers with them yet either. FLY GREEN has an eBay store if you dont feel like waiting...Id bet they are on there.

One of the shops in Denver, Fly Green, posted pics of their shipment of them on their Facebook but I havent found any online retailers with them yet either. FLY GREEN has an eBay store if you dont feel like waiting...Id bet they are on there.

Thanks. I'll check it out. I've had such great success with DiscGolfCenter that I'll probably wait... but you never know! :p

Edit... they sure do have it. http://stores.ebay.com/Fly-Green-Di...1074956014&_sid=1337814&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Silly me didn't put Star + Lite together. So not only is it already the -4 HSS Star version of the disc, but it can also be super-light. Now I really have to think about what I want to do.

Last edited:
love this disc, easily farthest thrown disc I have in the bag now, still hard to part with my Pro Wraiths but slowly kicking them out

I have been thinking about replacing my Wraiths with something faster/less stable. It has filled my max distance BH slot for many years but I am just not getting enough real distance, just a lot of control. I am just skeptical of how the Tern can handle headwinds. I'm just going to have to buy one and test it out.

A new Tern will do okay in a headwind on hyzer, but IMO its better to have something more on the overstable side for windy days.

didn't bag the champ tern. Its just unstable. sometimes overstable sometimes understable. You never know what you get. its damn long disc with good glide but width of landing area is just way too wide.

Its just unstable. sometimes overstable sometimes understable. You never know what you get. its damn long disc with good glide but width of landing area is just way too wide.

What wide rimmed max D driver does this not describe? If it's just overstable, it's not a distance disc, and if it's just understable it's equally as useless. They have to be somewhere in the middle and require the thrower to find the sweet spot.

I got 2 150g StarLite Terns from DD on Friday. Surprisingly stable. More so than the 160-162 Star Terns I have been carrying. (Somehow the blues have been more stable/overstable than the oranges and yellows.) They will require some beating-in to fly as I would wish.

As a way of determining a baseline, I'm a 900+ 65-YO Senior GM with a max D of 350-ish.

Charles

Looks like the proshop stocked some swirly looking starlite factory seconds. Good buy for you guys that wanted to try them out in some lighter weights. Looks like the range is ~120g - ~164g

http://proshop.innovadiscs.com/factory-second-starlite-tern.html

Well, you got me. One orange and one pink should be on the way in a couple days. $12 each plus $6 shipping. So $15 each... not "cheap", but still less than regular Star plastic. Plus if they really are as pretty and swirly as in the pictures I'll be thrilled!!!

Well, I spent $17 for the Star Tern at the local pro shop. I was a little worried spending that much on a disc, but I had heard alot about it from my friends. All I can say is wow!. The other day I threw this disc about 400ft. The best I had ever done was about 325 in the past. This disc just wants to stay in the air, and not come down. I even threw it only about 6 feet off the ground, but it just kept going and going. It was well worth what I paid for it.

Well, I spent $17 for the Star Tern at the local pro shop. I was a little worried spending that much on a disc, but I had heard alot about it from my friends. All I can say is wow!. The other day I threw this disc about 400ft. The best I had ever done was about 325 in the past. This disc just wants to stay in the air, and not come down. I even threw it only about 6 feet off the ground, but it just kept going and going. It was well worth what I paid for it.

All my buddies that have started throwing one have seen a solid 25'-50' increase in distance due to this disc just gliding like a mofo.

I just picked one up the other day. I was surprised by how much glide it had. I'm really enjoying this disc for long hyzer flips and long sweeping hyzers in a tailwind.

While i'm loving the flight off these Star Terns , using them as a flippy Destroyer , they're really shallow in comparison and kind of hard to grip. The new star plastic they're using on them is pretty slick as well. But if you get past the slight grip issues and throw these properly, prepare to watch them fly.

While i'm loving the flight off these Star Terns , using them as a flippy Destroyer , they're really shallow in comparison and kind of hard to grip. The new star plastic they're using on them is pretty slick as well. But if you get past the slight grip issues and throw these properly, prepare to watch them fly.

I'm using them the same way as I just lost my beautifully seasoned Star Destroyer. I agree that they are noticeably shallower than the Destroyer, and have also noticed that the new star plastic is kind of slick. I got the Worlds stamped one, and it is much grippier. I think they are selling them at DGC.