• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

I'm using them the same way as I just lost my beautifully seasoned Star Destroyer. I agree that they are noticeably shallower than the Destroyer, and have also noticed that the new star plastic is kind of slick. I got the Worlds stamped one, and it is much grippier. I think they are selling them at DGC.

If my nails aren't perfectly clipped throwing one of these kills me with how shallow it is, i'll have to get a gold one to see if i like the plastic better.

I bought a couple of these myself, and am struggling with the shallow rim. I'm thinking that taking some sand paper to the inside rim may help by giving it a grittier feel. Anyone try this?

Give it a good scrubbing with an SOS pad, or the green scrubbing side of a sponge. I did that for a slippery GL Halo that was pretty much unthrowable. It helps.

Are the Star ones a lot flippier than the Champ? I picked up a 171g Champ at club and it's pretty sweet. Sometimes it doesn't flip over all the way though. I'm guessing the Star would be good for those slight tailwind drives.

Give it a good scrubbing with an SOS pad, or the green scrubbing side of a sponge. I did that for a slippery GL Halo that was pretty much unthrowable. It helps.

Are the Star ones a lot flippier than the Champ? I picked up a 171g Champ at club and it's pretty sweet. Sometimes it doesn't flip over all the way though. I'm guessing the Star would be good for those slight tailwind drives.

I have one of each, but not many throws with either. I would say the Star is more understable, but certainly not a huge difference between the two.

Just traded a D1 for a 173 Star Tern about 2 weeks ago. I need to do some more field work with it before I work it into my bag but I've a feeling this could work out...!

From what I've thrown the stars are significantly flippier, to the point where I won't throw it if there is any kind of headwind at all. It almost always flips up past flat and tracks right quite a ways before fading out, compared to the Champ ones which don't even necessarily flip flat for me when thrown on the same angle.

I've noticed my champion tern is roughly the same disc as a slightly heavier gold line bolt. I really enjoy my tern, but the small rim is weird, at least its not as bad as a mamba iirc.

I've noticed my champion tern is roughly the same disc as a slightly heavier gold line bolt. I really enjoy my tern, but the small rim is weird, at least its not as bad as a mamba iirc.

I think the Tern and Mamba both have the shallow rim configuration, but the Tern has a wider rim, so it doesn't feel as small.

For me the Star plastic Terns are more flipper than the Champion Plastic. It is a noticeable difference for me. I am getting very little turn from my Champion Plastic Terns. But I expect this Because of the plastic difference.

The Champion plastic is a more stable turn and the Star Plastic is understable.

I use both of mine for different shots and there is a big difference in the two plastics. :thmbup:

Weird that there'd be a significant difference between the two plastics, since it's usually a minimal difference, but good to know. I think I'll stick with the Champ.

Thanks all.

Has anyone else noticed the similarity between the Westside King and the Tern? If I put them side by side, they look like the same disc. My TP King flies pretty much the same, but a little flipper than the Champ Tern. I'm guessing the Star Tern would be almost identical.

Weird that there'd be a significant difference between the two plastics, since it's usually a minimal difference,

That's what I thought. When I heard they were coming out in Starlite plastic I got really psyched thinking about the Champion stability numbers in a lighter weight. Then I realized that they'd have the Star stability numbers, and be in a lighter weight. I got a couple Starlites anyway and just haven't had the opportunity to throw them yet. I'm really looking forward to it, though.

Threw a buddy's 172g Champ Tern the other day and I do believe it's the longest flying disc I've thrown. I was getting some huge S curves with a slight hyzer release. It flies like a Valkyrie on steroids! But the significant lateral movement would keep me from bagging one. I get straighter distance with my Orcs and Destros...

Has anyone else noticed the similarity between the Westside King and the Tern? If I put them side by side, they look like the same disc. My TP King flies pretty much the same, but a little flipper than the Champ Tern. I'm guessing the Star Tern would be almost identical.

King is definitely faster. The rim is noticeably bigger. I think they have the potential to have similar flights, but I could never really grip the King like I wanted to. I've seen people throw them the way they are meant to be thrown, however, and I would say the King is just a tad flippier than Champ Terns, but not as flippy as Star Terns.

I have a champ Tern and it flies and looks identical to my vip Sword. They both fly os for me.

Threw a buddy's 172g Champ Tern the other day and I do believe it's the longest flying disc I've thrown. I was getting some huge S curves with a slight hyzer release. It flies like a Valkyrie on steroids! But the significant lateral movement would keep me from bagging one. I get straighter distance with my Orcs and Destros...

If you can manage a decent hyzer flip the Tern flies pretty damn straight imo.

If you can manage a decent hyzer flip the Tern flies pretty damn straight imo.

That's the way they fly for me too. It depends how much hyzer and how much power though. When I first threw the Champ Tern it moved around a lot, then I started putting a little more hyzer on it. I can get the same flight out of my King, but it is a little faster. The rim is maybe 1mm bigger it looks like. Either way, they seem to compliment each other. I'll buy a Star Tern if I ever loose the King. I had the longest drive of my life yesterday with the TP King and had a tap-in on a hole I never thought I'd be able to reach. I have to throw it on around a 40 degree hyzer, but it's sure worth it. :) The Champ Tern seems easier to control though.

I can't believe I waited so long to try this disc, but with all the other crap molds that innova has been producing lately and around the release of this disc... I just couldn't get myself to buy one. This is seriously a miracle disc though. I have been using 150 class teebirds and 150 firebirds for my main two drivers (and a 150 mamba and valk) for awhile now and I really feel that my form improved quite a bit because of that, but I've been looking for something to move up to for the bigger holes and extra distance, but only one out of like 10 blizzard bosses flew that way for me and I felt like I was never going to find a good replacement for it. but man... the 163 champ tern I have is so ridiculously perfect and goes a good bit farther than my blizzard boss does (mostly because of how much forward penetrating fade it has) I was releasing on a slight hyzer watched a flip to flat with a tiny bit of turn past that and then subtle fade into the horizon. The best part? it won't break in from tree hits like blizzard does and I won't be nearly as scared to throw this disc on tighter bigger holes! Doesn't mean I'm going to stop throwing my other slower discs (teebird will never be debagged) for true precision and safe shots at the 350 foot distance... but I might throw this tern on the 420 foot holes that miraculously appear on 50 percent of courses for more chances at birds.

I agree with whoever said this was a longer valkyrie though. I throw this disc the same way I would throw a valk and it carves an almost identical line, but just goes so much farther.

All right, got some playing time in with my new Star 172 Tern and I really liked it yesterday. On a 660 ft hole at Tahoe Vista I crushed a drive just over 400ft. and then used the same disc for the upshot - less power, just a sweeping-hyzer from the right side and parked it for a tap-in 3. Several other holes I had good results and it has definitely earned a spot in the bag. I am looking forward to really learning this disc.

Latest posts