• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

In addition to the HL, I'd love to try one of those white factory store ones with the bird on it, but I just can't see the utility of a G* in those high weights.

Those white gstars are really nice though! One of the better Terns I ever threw into a river and never replaced. Sad.

But seriously, they are nice. I actually didn't find the weight to be an issue and I usually like them in the high 160s. I wouldn't let the weight put you off too much.

Can I get someone to comment on the stability of the pro terns? Decided to ditch my mamba as an US bookend, wouldn't mind having an even flippier star tern for the woods and tailwinds, etc.

Can I get someone to comment on the stability of the pro terns? Decided to ditch my mamba as an US bookend, wouldn't mind having an even flippier star tern for the woods and tailwinds, etc.

Mine was flat, or at least flatter than any other plastic. Glide was reduced. Did not care for it at all. I now only use it in situations where i don't care if it gets lost.

A friend of mine has one as his only Tern. I have noticed the lack of glide in his as well.

Mine was flat, or at least flatter than any other plastic. Glide was reduced. Did not care for it at all. I now only use it in situations where i don't care if it gets lost.

A friend of mine has one as his only Tern. I have noticed the lack of glide in his as well.

Maybe I'll try to procure a domey one then. I imagine that would help in the glide arena, and make it more stable initially. Might take some working in in that case.

Pro Terns are generally flat and glideless turds. I don't know why, but the pro just didn't seem to work for this mold. They are not very undestable either. I've never been able to throw it enough to break it in either. It's buried in the box labeled "L" somewhere. I would say stick with the Mamba.

Maybe I'll try to procure a domey one then. I imagine that would help in the glide arena, and make it more stable initially. Might take some working in in that case.

Yeah, if you stumble across one with dome, it would be well worth the low investment to check out.

Dunno about Pro Terns, but if you want a flippy/flippier Tern, I'd recommend getting a Star Tern in a weight about 10g or so less than what you normally throw, and start beating it in. I have a couple of (relatively) lightweight Star Terns that got really flippy on me, and it didn't take all that long for them to get there (about 3 months, playing 4+ times a week).

Yeah, if you stumble across one with dome, it would be well worth the low investment to check out.

Asked DGC - they say all their pros are relatively flat. :\

I think I'll stick with my 166g-169g C DDX / JL Tern / Star Tern combo, and fill in the gaps as they leave the stability I'm looking for.

Maybe I'll play a few wooded rounds of "Terns vs the bag" to get these worked in a bit...

not sure this info will help,but offer it I shall. picked up a XGummy champ tern a few years back. (172) Became flippy as all get out, but found a place in the bag. mostly for hyzer flip tail wind drives that stand up for a bit then turn over. not flip over all the way, just "drift" over. the beauty is, it still holds its LSS a tad, be it a small one. favorite use is the handcuffed (next to tree or in the chit etc.)stand still 300 ftish shot on a string. easy distance. it is TFR and maybe hard to find, but if you can find one give it a go. I also bag a star tern, and a cfr glow, great combo if you have the room to work em.

Don't sleep on the Gstar Terns. I've got a Throw Pink 175g that's really overstable for a Tern. My gummy champ Terns are much flippier than this Gstar.

That's a winner

So all else held equal, and at 166-169g, it sounds like the stability of typical terns is:

CFR/signature - JL champ - GStar - EchoStar - Star

With pro in there somewhere, apparently more stable than star and less glidey.

To expand on this further, I figure champ DDXs would typically be even more stable, while star DDXs possibly a little bit less so than JL terns...

So all else held equal, and at 166-169g, it sounds like the stability of typical terns is:

CFR/signature - JL champ - GStar - EchoStar - Star

With pro in there somewhere, apparently more stable than star and less glidey.

To expand on this further, I figure champ DDXs would typically be even more stable, while star DDXs possibly a little bit less so than JL terns...

I only have one EchoStar Tern, but I found it to be slightly less OS than Star (fresh out of the box).

My Star DDx is more OS than my Star Terns and even my Champ Terns.. may be because it's far less glide-y than my Terns.

Bump. Update. I may have found my windy weather driver.

In her 2017 ITB video, Hannah Leatherman said she asked Innova to make her Tour Series more stable than normal, because she found normal Star Terns to get flippy pretty fast, and the HL Star Trens would wear into a "sweet spot" for her.

She got her wish: 175g Swirly Star Terns, more OS than normal Star Terns. And I bought a couple. And they are more OS than my Star Terns, don't glide as much, don't go as far for me.

Today the wind was really whipping up and gusting and swirling, so I threw my HL Tern into the teeth of that wind. I was very pleased with how the HL Tern held its own into the wind. It airbounced up and down a lot, but didn't turn over, held its straight line, glided through the wind well, and got some pretty good distance.

I'll keep working with the HL Tern in the wind and see how it goes.

I found a HL Tern in a swampy bog one day. I'll have to dig it out and go throw it.

I'm curious to hear how someone with your armspeed does with the HL Tern.

I was throwing mine today at the range, along with regular Star Terns and my new Pro Destroyer. The HL Tern did well into the wind again. It airbounced a lot but got on out there. The Pro Destroyer also did well int the wind for me. Which to choose, which to choose... :confused: :popcorn:

Anyone throwing the white gstar tern from the pro shop? They look nice?

I saw those and they do look nice. I don't throw GStar discs, but I'd imagine those white GStar Terns fly pretty much like all the other GStar Terns.

HL Tern

I'm curious to hear how someone with your armspeed does with the HL Tern.

I was throwing mine today at the range, along with regular Star Terns and my new Pro Destroyer. The HL Tern did well into the wind again. It airbounced a lot but got on out there. The Pro Destroyer also did well int the wind for me. Which to choose, which to choose... :confused: :popcorn:

I still haven't thrown it!:eek:

I'll have to look around and figure out what I did with that Tern. Its around somewhere. I found it last year.

Just found a glow champion Tern recently. It smells like a dirty lake, but maybe I'll go throw it tomorrow.

BTW, if you like stable Terns you might give the G* Destroyer a look. I find them to be pretty mellow. You can mash them and get good high speed turn out of them.

Last edited:

Latest posts