• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Tile, the best way to find a disc?

Titan037

AKA dgfanatic7
So i was scrolling through the interwebz and came across this. It is called the tile and it looks quite interesting, what are y'all's thoughts?

www.thetileapp.com

It is already funded with over a million bucks in supporters so the product will be produced and is expected to arrive in the winter of 2013/2014

I don't think that would stick well to a disc. Plus it would mess up flight characteristics. I'd like to see something about the size of a penny, then I might start tagging my discs. I'd be nice though. Why doesn't innova research this technology. Bury a receiver in the plastic. When you buy the disc, it comes with a QR code which ID's it in your app. I would pay $25-30 for that disc.

I don't think that would stick well to a disc. Plus it would mess up flight characteristics. I'd like to see something about the size of a penny, then I might start tagging my discs. I'd be nice though. Why doesn't innova research this technology. Bury a receiver in the plastic. When you buy the disc, it comes with a QR code which ID's it in your app. I would pay $25-30 for that disc.

It looks to be really thin and comes with a strong adhesive... It is also waterproof, thinking about contributing and testing when it gets produced

Good for tracking that girl you are in love with from work. Stick it to the back of her car. Let the stalking ensue.

Non-android = dumb but it is interesting that it seems like it can use other people who have the app to track items that are out of range from your phone. So...the more people with this product, the farther and more accurately you can track things you lose. I guess, though if no one has it and someone steals your bike... you still wont be able to find it unless you "happen" to pass near by it.

Not sure how much the tile would affect flight if affixed under the disc - it'd be in a pocket of air that's fairly stationary relative to the disc, but I'd think to be successful for disc golf, I'd look for the following:
* no larger than a nickel
* no more than 2 (maybe 3) grams
* self adhesive, waterproof (or at least reasonably water resistant in very wet grass - acceptable if it can't handle complete submersion).
* fairly inexpensive ($10 - $20)

Rather than an ap, I'd think it'd be fine for it to emmit an audible chirp when you hit a button on a fob, but then the fob might cost more, and there could be an issue with multiple units chirping in your bag, so you couldn't hear the one you lost. :p

Good for tracking that girl you are in love with from work. Stick it to the back of her car. Let the stalking ensue.
:facepalm:

Last edited:
^ not even sure if that 4.5 grams includes the battery or not.
Typical Weight: of a CR2016 cell is 1.9 grams.

LED Flight Lights weihg in at about 2.5g... you'd think someone could do something audible for about the same weight.

From their website:
Tiles come with a built-in speaker so you can easily hear it in close range.
I e-mailed them asking for dimesnions and weight of a single Tile...
Does seem pretty sweet after visting their site.